Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Banzai ! You Watch Now !

Banzai ! You Watch Now !

Old Jul 12th 2003, 7:55 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Banzai ! You Watch Now !

Ahhh...
Just been laughing my head off about all the fuss over Banzai.
(Those of you who have recently left the UK will know what I'm talking about.)

As expected everyone is completely missing the point and they are posting all sorts of comments:
"The show is racist..."
"Remember Pearl Harbour..."
"Japs are the dogs of the USA..."+
"the rednecks and white corky europeans enjoy to watch this sh.. and j... off "
(These are not my comments - these are quotes from the Banzai forum ==>
Fox.com > Banzai > Forums

My point is ?
OK I like America, I'm married to an American, but people have to learn irony !

Some say that Americans do understand irony - they have The Simpsons.
I agree with that - and I think that if Banzai was a cartoon then there would be different posts, but because it is real people (such as Willis from Different Strokes) it is being taken seriously.

We have the ability to take the piss* out of ourselves and each other and see the irony, but Americans don't.
(Possibly because of all of the regrettable and terrible sitcoms - that people don't see good, groundbreaking comedy - all they see is safe family friendly non offensive pap.

*The usage of the word "piss" is annoying me.
Not seen as a swear word here, and is used in every tv show I've watched.
No bare breasts, no violence, no swearing apart from this one.
Old Jul 12th 2003, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

If the US understood irony they would appreciate the notion of the george bush centre of national intellegence :-)