Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Banned or restricted dogs breeds in California

Banned or restricted dogs breeds in California

Old Sep 6th 2020, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Banned or restricted dogs breeds in California

Hi all,

We are relocating mid/early next year assuming everything settles down a little. We have two dogs that will be coming with us, a Rough Collie and Aussie Shepherd. I was just scrolling though so general info around what's involved in shipping our pets and came across a list of breeds (below) that was headed banned breeds or restricted breeds - Aussie Shepherd was on the list which is couldn't believe! Also, Labrador Retriever was on the list, my assumption is that this is probably as much to do with puppy farming as it is to do with potentially dangerous dogs.
I've briefly scanned a few other links trying to pull more info but everywhere else i've just seen lists the types of dogs that you would almost expect to be difficult to own.

Anyone shed any light on this please?

Thanks

'The following list contains dog breeds, in alphabetical order, that are either banned from ownership, or restricted so as to make ownership more difficult than owning other breeds, in legislation either passed, proposed, or tabled in venues throughout the United States of America. The breeds are listed by name exactly as they appear in legislation. Redundancy, or misnaming is due to the wording of codes, and/or ordinances. Some breeds are named specifically, some breeds are included by physical description. All dogs are subject to being named'

1.AIREDALE TERRIER
2.AKBASH
3.AKITA
4.ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG
5,ALASKAN MALAMUTE
6.ALSATIAN SHEPHERD
7.AMERICAN BULLDOG
8.AMERICAN HUSKY
9.AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
10.AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER
11.AMERICAN WOLFDOG
12.ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD
13.ARIKARA DOG
14.AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG
15.AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD
16.BELGIAN MALINOIS
17.BELGIAN SHEEPDOG
18.BELGIAN TURVUREN
19.BLUE HEELER
20.BOERBUL
21.BORZOI
22.BOSTON TERRIER
23.BOUVIER DES FLANDRES
24.BOXER
25.BULLDOG
26.BULL TERRIER
27.BULL MASTIFF
28.CANE CORSO
29.CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG
30.CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD
31.CHINESE SHAR PEI
32.CHOW-CHOW
33.COLORADO DOG
34.DOBERMAN PINSCHER
35.DOGO DE ARGENTINO
36.DOGUE DE BORDEAUX
37.ENGLISH MASTIFFS
38.ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL
39.ESKIMO DOG
40.ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG
41.FILA BRASILIERO
42.FOX TERRIER
43.FRENCH BULLDOG
44.GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
45.GOLDEN RETRIEVER
46.GREENLAND HUSKY
47.GREAT DANE
48.GREAT PYRENEES
49.ITALIAN MASTIFF
50.KANGAL DOG
51.KEESHOND
52.KOMONDOR
53.KOTEZEBUE HUSKY
54.KUVAZ
55.LABRADOR RETRIEVER
56.LEONBERGER
57.MASTIFF
58.NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF
59.NEWFOUNDLAND
60.OTTERHOUND
61.PRESA DE CANARIO
62.PRESA DE MALLORQUIN
63.PUG
64.ROTTWEILER
65.SAARLOOS WOLFHOND
66.SAINT BERNARD
67.SAMOYED
68.SCOTTISH DEERHOUND
69.SIBERIAN HUSKY
70.SPANISH MASTIFF
71.STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER
72.TIMBER SHEPHERD
73.TOSA INU
74.TUNDRA SHEPHERD
75.WOLF SPITZ
Old Sep 6th 2020, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banned or restricted dogs breeds in California

Where did you find this list? Whilst we don’t live in California, we own two dogs (different breeds) and both are on the list you posted. There are even clubs and organizations throughout the country for owners of such dogs and we regularly meet other owners of the same breeds as our dogs. Our dogs are big and strong, no doubt about it, but they are certainly not dangerous. Dog ownership is a city-controlled thing where we live. Our city code, for example, does not prohibit certain breeds of dog but does limit the number of dogs and cats that can live in one residence. Our city code prohibits certain animals such as monkeys in residences. But even pit bulls are permitted provided they have the proper license from the city police.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope
Where did you find this list? Whilst we don’t live in California, we own two dogs (different breeds) and both are on the list you posted. There are even clubs and organizations throughout the country for owners of such dogs and we regularly meet other owners of the same breeds as our dogs. Our dogs are big and strong, no doubt about it, but they are certainly not dangerous. Dog ownership is a city-controlled thing where we live. Our city code, for example, does not prohibit certain breeds of dog but does limit the number of dogs and cats that can live in one residence. Our city code prohibits certain animals such as monkeys in residences. But even pit bulls are permitted provided they have the proper license from the city police.
It was on this forum many years ago. I haven't had time to sift through the whole thread as the devil might be in the detail but here's a link to the very page:

Taking cats and dogs from UK to USA
Old Sep 6th 2020, 1:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mic1
It was on this forum many years ago. I haven't had time to sift through the whole thread as the devil might be in the detail but here's a link to the very page:

That list applies to specific unnamed locations, not the entire US. Someone in a small town in the back of beyond had a bad experience and had the local council ban the breed, for example. Just check the regulations for the town you plan to move to.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 2:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing a post in that thread from a dear departed member, Maggs, made me smile and sad at the same time.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

So you need to check the code that applies to where you will be living. Have you sorted out your living arrangements yet? No point getting upset that Australian Shepherds are banned in a village in Missouri if you’re moving to California.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 2:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Seeing a post in that thread from a dear departed member, Maggs, made me smile and sad at the same time.
Wait, what? I used to chat with her. What happened?
Old Sep 6th 2020, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Wait, what? I used to chat with her. What happened?
She died of a brain tumour about 7 years ago.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
That list applies to specific unnamed locations, not the entire US. Someone in a small town in the back of beyond had a bad experience and had the local council ban the breed, for example. Just check the regulations for the town you plan to move to.
I would bet also that nobody would call you on it unless your dog bit someone and they called police.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Springer Spaniel?
Old Sep 6th 2020, 3:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't own a dog, but from what I have heard local to me (not in CA) is that municipalities may put a dog breed on the naughty list based on the number of incidents involving that breed, not on the number of incidents in proportion to the number of dogs of that breed in the area. So if five golden retrievers bite someone they are deemed to be a more dangerous breed than a neopolitan mastiff which only generated two incident reports, even though there are 5,000 golden retrievers in the city but only two neopolitan mastiffs.

Also, I wonder what a pug did to get added to the list above?
Old Sep 6th 2020, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't own a dog, but from what I have heard local to me (not in CA) is that municipalities may put a dog breed on the naughty list based on the number of incidents involving that breed, not on the number of incidents in proportion to the number of dogs of that breed in the area. So if five golden retrievers bite someone they are deemed to be a more dangerous breed than a neopolitan mastiff which only generated two incident reports, even though there are 5,000 golden retrievers in the city but only two neopolitan mastiffs.

Also, I wonder what a pug did to get added to the list above?
Thanks Pulaski, you're probably right with that type of scoring system.
I can't find anything definitive info on the net about Southern California's restrictions so i've ask a friend in Orange County to check at their vets tomorrow as to what breeds are on the list.
I will post it when i get feedback, it might be useful to someone one day.

Just goes to show though, how many people relocating with a Golden Retriever would even give this type of thing any thought.........................and by chance, end up renting a house prior to moving in a place where they are banned.

Thanks
Old Sep 6th 2020, 4:28 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mic1

I believe that list is for dogs that need special care when being flown, and may have restrictions on the time of year they can be flown. Most of the dogs on that list are on the list of AKC breeds for championship shows which are held all over the US.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Just an FYI, some insurance companies do not insure if there are certain breed dogs in the household, some charge more to insure, and some are ok with any dog. This is for house insurance and personal liability insurance, which is quite often lumped together. We have Boxers now, and have had a Rottweiler/shepherd mix in the past, and we didn't get charged any more because of them.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

PootleK is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a great resource showing, by state and county what the local breed specific laws are. https://www.dogsbite.org/legislating...e-by-state.php. It looks like in CA there are only laws regarding mandatory sterilisation of pitbulls, rottweilers and chihuahuas. I wouldn't worry about it.