Banks?

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banks?

I'm with Wells Fargo and so far haven't really had any problems with them. Getting onto my wife's account when I first arrived was a breeze and they just gave me a secured credit card. I do use Bank of America from time to time to get money from my Barclays account, because I don't get charged any fee's for withdrawing money through BoA.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:55 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Had banked at Barclays for years but when I came here had to change to First Direct because at the time they were the only UK bank we could find that would do transactions over the phone. Here I use Regions. When we arrived they gave us an unsecured credit card on seeing the last twelve months bank statements from the UK and six months of Barclaycard statements. I love First Direct, they are available 24/7 and you can do anything over the phone.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

We're with Wachovia, seems ok, service has been fine so far....
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
We're with Wachovia, seems ok, service has been fine so far....
Good choice Dan ...I am with Suntrust...
They run a very good service....If you ever feel sad and alone ..you go to visit them ...you make life long friend as you queue... your sadness turn to rage after the long waits... last time I visited .. I had a shave before I went .. I needed another shave after I got out ...and if they call me one more time about the magnificent 1% interest rate ... I will not be responsible for my actions...
They did have a bank robber there once poor bugger walked out in desperation and gave himself up ...
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Good choice Dan ...I am with Suntrust...
They run a very good service....If you ever feel sad and alone ..you go to visit them ...you make life long friend as you queue... your sadness turn to rage after the long waits... last time I visited .. I had a shave before I went .. I needed another shave after I got out ...and if they call me one more time about the magnificent 1% interest rate ... I will not be responsible for my actions...
They did have a bank robber there once poor bugger walked out in desperation and gave himself up ...
Sounds grim Ray, make sure you leave those guns of yours at home when you go next....otherwise you might well end up doing some damage by the sound of it, and the SWAT team'll be coming for you !!

Not had to queue in Wachovia longer than 5 mins so far, staff have been decent in the few branches I've been in. Hopefully it will continue like this, fingers crossed....
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahUK
Actually I have been wondering if there are any banks in the USA that have a similar policy to that of the Cooperative bank whereby they refuse to invest money into companies who support despotic regimes,or arms and landmines, are shameless polluters of the environment etc.
You'll want an account with a credit union - AFAIK they're into ethical investing. At least our local one is.

Unfortunately they would not let us open an account with them because I do not have a SSN , so we ended up with Bank of America.

Have been very happy with BoA - but this is largely because our personal representative is so helpful. I would always recommend that you cultivate a relationship with an individual at your local branch as it can make straightening out any problems so much easier.

Elvira
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
How did yor manage to get the credit card in the end? (Any specific tactics/contacts I could use?). I've been with HSBC in the UK for years and have quite high credit facilities over there but now I'm here I have no credit card other than my HSBC UK one. Opened accounts and obtained mortagge via PeoplesBank because they're local, but they won't give me a card. Was the card HSBC gave you unsecured?

Hi
I sent e-mail via their website explaining that I'd used HSBC in the UK for over 30 years with unblemished record on credit card and bank accounts.
Asked if they would be willing to let me have a credit card. I had to repeat this 3 times over a period of 3 or 4 months. They replied each time, but twice it all fell through as it was impossible to contact the person who had replied to me, and the new person didn't understand the situation.
It was like knitting fog!!! I was about to throw in the towel and apply for a secured card from Bank of America when I decided to give HSBC one more try.
This time they asked me to contact them by phone. More frustration as I explained at least 4 times what it was I wanted. Eventually, as I was tearing my hair out, somebody understood. They asked stuff about my present situation. Greencard number, SS no, whether I rent or own, etc. They asked nothing about my bank account numbers or credit card number in the UK as I'd expected. After a long wait when she had entered all my info, and I'd started jabbering "Oh well - can I have a secured card then ?" she cried out excitedly...."It's coming through....they've authorised a credit card for you but it's only $500 limit to start. Loud whoops !!!!

I'd give it a try, but don't give up if at first it all goes pear-shaped!
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:00 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
You'll want an account with a credit union - AFAIK they're into ethical investing. At least our local one is.

Unfortunately they would not let us open an account with them because I do not have a SSN , so we ended up with Bank of America.

Have been very happy with BoA - but this is largely because our personal representative is so helpful. I would always recommend that you cultivate a relationship with an individual at your local branch as it can make straightening out any problems so much easier.

Elvira
I used to have a Fleet account (now part of Bank of America) - worse customer service ever. At first they were fine - I opened an account without a SSN, and when I finally got one I decided to change banks because I wasn't too happy with Fleet. I went in to close the account but because there was a check that hadn't completely cleared they told me it would have to be done the next day and that I could just call. Next day the same person wasn't there and this stupid cow tried to argue that I had to go in to do it. After an earbashing she relented but then wanted my SSN. Of course I told here there was no SSN associated to the account and she proceeded to tell me that was impossible. I got there in the end but she nearly hung up on me.

I'm with Wachovia now, they're always friendly and helpful when I go in there and I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes to talk to their financial planning people, let alone the tellers.