Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Banking - Paid in £ but living in US

Banking - Paid in £ but living in US

Old Feb 10th 2017, 2:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Banking - Paid in £ but living in US

Originally Posted by aceastwood
I have used XE for years. I did a transfer a few days ago and noticed that their UK bank details had changed. When the money arrived in my US bank account, I was charged an incoming wire fee of $15. This has never happened before - they used ACH, for which there was no fee. I have emailed XE to see if wire transfer is now their normal method. Anyway, that is what prompted me to come to this forum and see if there is any new favourite transfer service. ....
With xe you can choose whether you want credit by wire or ACH. It sounds like either you made the wrong choice by accident, or their system defaulted to wire .
Old Feb 10th 2017, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

aceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Banking - Paid in £ but living in US

Originally Posted by Pulaski
With xe you can choose whether you want credit by wire or ACH. It sounds like either you made the wrong choice by accident, or their system defaulted to wire .
You used to be able to choose. Their web site has changed significantly since I last did a transfer. I just took another one all the way up to final confirmation (which I did not do) and at no time was I given an option to choose wire or ACH, as far as I could see.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

With one of my banks there is a limit for ACH, above which they will then use wire. Could that be the reason?

There is a $10k limit on transferwise , https://transferwise.com/help/articl...-bank-debit#/2

Last edited by mrken30; Feb 10th 2017 at 8:58 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

aceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the rough

Respnse from XE:

To confirm, all USD payments are sent as a wire transfer as of the 31st October 2016.
However, to offset the fee your bank charges, we usually top up your payment with an additional USD15.
For your last transaction, this was not done. We will arrange to refund your bank account as to compensate for the fee charged.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 1:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Respnse from XE:
Interesting - I wonder why the change?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

CumbrianInCT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nyclostin
Not too unique actually - most of my business is in the UK, but I'm here in the US.
Whenever I need large amounts of US$ (to pay taxes etc) I use TransferWise (www.transferwise.com) - there are good savings vs doing it with your bank.

Also, join me in hoping the exchange rate keeps improving

Just wanted to thank you for reminding me that TransferWise is a thing!

Was about to come on here trying to hunt down a NatWest card reader so I could make an international payment as the lady on the phone was quite stumped when I was not able to make it into a branch for the next 12 months
Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CumbrianInCT
Just wanted to thank you for reminding me that TransferWise is a thing!

Was about to come on here trying to hunt down a NatWest card reader so I could make an international payment as the lady on the phone was quite stumped when I was not able to make it into a branch for the next 12 months
If you need to set up a UK transfer to TW you will need a card reader. You can pay them by giving them your debit card details, so far I have done that for amounts of £3,000, but not sure what the upper limit is for debit card payments. Suspect £3k is close to it.

ETA: Just checked TW web site and it says the limit for debit cards is £2,000. However I have made at least 4 payments to them of £3,000 by debit card.

Last edited by lansbury; Feb 14th 2017 at 4:55 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 12:14 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JD1992
I now only pay National Insurance to the U.K, all other taxes are paid to the U.S, I couldn't say how, that's why we've got a finance and legal team.
What you seem to be saying is that you work in the US and the UK parent company is using a functional currency of Sterling. This sounds weird to me, it would mean you get paid in Sterling and they issued you a W-2 in USD. What tax documents have you actually gotten from your employer, did you fill in a W-4 when you started in the US and get a W-2 for the work you did last year?

Because to me it sounds they've still got you on the UK payroll. Companies that use foreign currencies as a functional currency for payroll are very few and far between, and generally they're companies in say, Canada paying in USD. A US company paying in Sterling is a very rare bird.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

A follow-up to post 49: XE did refund me $15 to cover the wire fee. They paid me by wire, so at least they worked out they had to send me $30 to cover the additional $15 on this wire.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

You used to be able to choose. Their web site has changed significantly since I last did a transfer. I just took another one all the way up to final confirmation (which I did not do) and at no time was I given an option to choose wire or ACH, as far as I could see.
Just caught up with the posting and agree there is no choice available on XE. The transfer is free but they state they are not responsible for any other charges. ???

I have already used XE today prior to looking for the reply to my initial question. Their deposit will be 3156.60

Last edited by tony126; Feb 27th 2017 at 4:30 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Just done a check with World First Money Transfer and an initial quote at the time of asking was approx 3175 pounds would be deposited. Don,t see any mention of then on BE so????.
I look at Transferwise and see their charge is $33.71 thus making a deposit of 3182.02 pounds.

As pointed out it would appear that Transferwise is the way to go. All figures quoted as of today.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
..... All figures quoted as of today.
Foreign exchange rates change continuously, literally every few seconds, which is what makes comparing rates between different companies, so very difficult. If the comparison is not at the same time there is highly likely to be an element of rate movement buried in the difference in figures, or partially reducing the difference.