British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Banking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/banking-481387/)

carin123 Sep 15th 2007 11:24 pm

Banking

Can someone help me with info on opening a U.S bank account.

I have been searching through the threads and tried the solutions given e.g. using my s.s.n. and U.S address, but still not getting this completed. I think there is a problem with leaving a Phone No. As i am in Scotland. I am just getting prepared for moving back to the U.S. and will petition for my family next year.
Thanks Carin :unsure:

Elvira Sep 16th 2007 12:50 am

Re: Banking

Originally Posted by carin123 (Post 5316374)

I have been searching through the threads and tried the solutions given e.g. using my s.s.n. and U.S address, but still not getting this completed. I think there is a problem with leaving a Phone No. As i am in Scotland. I am just getting prepared for moving back to the U.S. and will petition for my family next year.

This sort of question is better posted in the main USA forum.

However, you need to be more specific: what does 'not getting this completed' actually mean? where and how did you apply?

Be aware that repeated unsuccessful applications are going to hurt your credit score big time.

Ray Sep 16th 2007 3:14 am

Originally Posted by carin123 (Post 5316374)

It seems you are trying to open a normal US bank accout fron Scotland

Most US bank will require you to go in with form of identity to open an account to conform with The Patriot Act ...

PS ..it also impossible to open a UK acccount from the US ...

carin123 Sep 16th 2007 10:34 am

THANKS ELVIRA AND RAY,
yes i was trying to open a normal account through the internet.
maybe i need to open an offshore acount through HSBC or TSB, have you any ideas who is the best for this, i have read alot of conflicting stories about HSBC & TSB.
cheers carin

Elvira Sep 16th 2007 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by carin123 (Post 5317339)
THANKS ELVIRA AND RAY,
yes i was trying to open a normal account through the internet.
maybe i need to open an offshore acount through HSBC or TSB, have you any ideas who is the best for this, i have read alot of conflicting stories about HSBC & TSB.
cheers carin

Sorry, cannot help on this but as I said, you're more likely to catch people if you ask in the main USA forum

ian-mstm Sep 16th 2007 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by carin123 (Post 5317339)
yes i was trying to open a normal account through the internet. maybe i need to open an offshore acount through HSBC or TSB

Why would you even need to open a US bank account when you're not yet living in the US?

Ian

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 5317725)
Why would you even need to open a US bank account when you're not yet living in the US?

Ian

We did and it came in very handy when we had to put down a deposit to secure an apartment.

ian-mstm Sep 16th 2007 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5317822)
We did and it came in very handy when we had to put down a deposit to secure an apartment.

Ah... okay, good point! :)

Ian

carin123 Sep 16th 2007 2:12 pm

Thought it would be a good idea as i have to prove that i will be leaving U.K and moving to the U.S. I would like to save some monies up for when we do the move, if anyone got any ideas let me know.
cheers carin

Ray Sep 16th 2007 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by carin123 (Post 5317977)
Thought it would be a good idea as i have to prove that i will be leaving U.K and moving to the U.S. I would like to save some monies up for when we do the move, if anyone got any ideas let me know.
cheers carin

If you have enough money ..you could open a pound/dollar account with somebody like citibank

carin123 Sep 16th 2007 2:19 pm

cheers Ray, will look into this. Thanks again

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by carin123 (Post 5317977)
cheers carin

We opened a US bank account during a reccie visit 3 mths before we actually moved. The account was opened with a bank my husband's company had a 'relationship' with, so it all went pretty smoothly. We did not have a US address at this time but it was pre 9/11 so maybe things have changed.

Ray Sep 16th 2007 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5318262)
We opened a US bank account during a reccie visit 3 mths before we actually moved. The account was opened with a bank my husband's company had a 'relationship' with, so it all went pretty smoothly. We did not have a US address at this time but it was pre 9/11 so maybe things have changed.

I had friends over from the UK a few months back on the VW
theo opened an account here with their UK address on the checks ..

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5318274)
I had friends over from the UK a few months back on the VW
theo opened an account here with their UK address on the checks ..

God you had me fooled for a bit with that avatar.

Ray Sep 16th 2007 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5318277)
God you had me fooled for a bit with that avatar.

Please don't call me God ....it upsets Tom