Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which bank to use...

Which bank to use...

Old May 18th 2009, 6:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which bank to use...

Originally Posted by Ray
I'm with you ..they have gone way out of their way to
assist me ...even visiting me at home ...
heheh.. with baseball bats aimed at your knees?
Old May 18th 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It did sound a litle scary to me too
Old May 18th 2009, 7:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

When I want new checks ..they deliver them after hours...
Old May 18th 2009, 9:24 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

Thanks again guys, as always food for thought there, already looking for addresses in Kissimmee and found both types within easy distance
Old May 20th 2009, 1:45 pm
Nuts with a side of nuts.

JayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really nice

Bwahahahah!

Wells Fargo are lovely when everything is going your way.

But should you ever find yourself in a financially non-positive situation, they have a habit of slapping on every single fee they possibly can and telling you it's "policy".

That's why I prefer to talk to humans in smaller banks...
Old May 20th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

I'm a fan of the Fidelity mysmartcash account. Good bill pay features, no ATM charges anywhere and you can use it to hold Fidelity funds if you want to (but we only use it for the core cash account and the Fidelity Prime Money Market fund).

We also keep a local account open to make it easy to pay in cheques.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james169
Try the search function located at the top of the page. Go to advanced search...there have been loads of threads about the pros and cons of various banks.

Last edited by Bob; May 20th 2009 at 6:10 pm. Reason: removing the spam links in quote
Old May 20th 2009, 5:05 pm
Banned

Sonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant future

Wachovia have been a pain in the arse from day one.

They can't seem to get much right even after they have been shown several times.
They were like this way before there was any Well Fargo in the picture.
They are still as bad now as when we opened accounts with them.
The staff always apologize and seem well-intentioned but the end result is just the opposite.
They also have unacceptable account charges, which are tantamount to highway robbery.

I would agree with others here. Have your main banking in a smaller bank/credit union and keep some cash in a big name bank account for some things that the smaller bank/CU can't offer, if any.

This is where we are heading.
Old May 20th 2009, 6:05 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

Cheers for that info
Old May 29th 2009, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

sunnybunny is an unknown quantity at this point

i use bank of america in florida...they seem to be all over the country for the most part
Old May 29th 2009, 7:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnybunny
i use bank of america in florida...they seem to be all over the country for the most part
but they're evil
Old May 29th 2009, 9:49 pm
Wishful thinking...

Cheers for that Sunny...all helps

Bob, now now, the devil comes in many forms
Old May 30th 2009, 2:51 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Y'all should have seen the downtrodden Bank of America staff.... I went in this morning to open a new account, and they looked as startled as if the mayor had walked in. They hastily started doing busy work while I sat down with an account rep. I was glad that there was only the ground floor, because this guy looked like a jumper.

He said that things had been very hard, and that it was difficult to get up the motivation to come into work most days. Every second customer (well, what there are of them) would harangue him about bank irresponsibility, lack of social conscience, and the hailstorm that had dented their SUV. His glum look brightened a bit when I said my father had been a banker and the little guys took the shit for the big kahunas.

Made going into MY job feel like a holiday!
Old May 30th 2009, 4:58 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure of your circumstances, but if you are depositing/investing a substantial sum then ensure you limit your risk by putting money in different banks, or ownership categories within the same bank.
FDIC insures deposits up to $250,000; but on January 1, 2014, the standard insurance amount will return to $100,000 - this is important if your investments are long term.

None of the above impact us! Hopefully they will impact someone on here (and if so, can you lend me a few bucks).
Old May 30th 2009, 9:27 am
Wishful thinking...

Originally Posted by thinbrit
I'm not sure of your circumstances, but if you are depositing/investing a substantial sum then ensure you limit your risk by putting money in different banks, or ownership categories within the same bank.
FDIC insures deposits up to $250,000; but on January 1, 2014, the standard insurance amount will return to $100,000 - this is important if your investments are long term.

None of the above impact us! Hopefully they will impact someone on here (and if so, can you lend me a few bucks).

Thanks for that, aaarrrrrr I dont have that much to worry about but thank you for that..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.