Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank recommendations with online facilities!

Bank recommendations with online facilities!

Old Jan 12th 2016, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

canarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud of
Default Bank recommendations with online facilities!

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a bank with good online facilities. I'm used to First Direct in the UK, who are amazing. Been using a credit union for the last two years but getting so frustrated with how it's impossible to do anything online really. EG there is nowhere I can set up paying my credit card bill in full automatically every month. I'm leaning towards Wells Fargo as there are a few branches in my city. Kind of put off by BOA (guns/Bush), though I'm sure if I looked into it all the banks are as evil as each other...

All suggestions welcome (Im in Oregon - not sure if that makes a difference)
Old Jan 12th 2016, 8:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank recommendations with online facilities!

What credit union are you with, ours (OnPoint in Oregon) pays our credit card in full every month. The credit card company just collect from our account. It is set up online on the credit card account. Other than that we also use Chase as that is who the credit card is with.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

canarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud of

First tech credit union and first tech credit card. We've asked about a million times but they don't seem able to set it up!
Old Jan 12th 2016, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I have been generally happy with USBank.

In regards to paying credit cards, in my experience it is easier to do this from the credit card company end (pulling payments) as opposed to the bank end (pushing payments). Though it depends on the credit card company (just noticed they seem to be the same in your case).
Old Jan 12th 2016, 9:57 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I bank with Wells Fargo and more than happy. I can do anything/everything on line that I want to, and it is reassuring that branches are two-a-penny across much of the US except most of New England, Ohio, and Michigan (that I know of).
Old Jan 12th 2016, 10:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I second Wells Fargo. I've been with them forever and I do all my banking online.

I agree with setting up the auto payments through the credit card rather than the bank, though.

Rene
Old Jan 12th 2016, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally happy with USBank

Love the fact you can copy a cheque on your cell and send the picky and they accept it

Also the fraud detection seems to be good, we have been alerted a couple of times for possible fraudulent use
Old Jan 12th 2016, 11:54 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372 View Post
Totally happy with USBank

Love the fact you can copy a cheque on your cell and send the picky and they accept it. ...
Same with Wells Fargo. ..... It is the result of something called "Check 21", which is an attempt to modernize the US checks and payments processing architecture which has languished behind innovations in other parts of the world.

I suspect that being able to send and receive payments using e-mail is not unique to Wells Fargo either.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 12th 2016 at 11:57 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 10:42 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I bank with Wells Fargo and more than happy. I can do anything/everything on line that I want to, and it is reassuring that branches are two-a-penny across much of the US except most of New England, Ohio, and Michigan (that I know of).
I live in New England, bank with Wells Fargo, and have never set foot in one of their branches in my life (even to open the account). I find their website and mobile services more than adequate for my needs.

Another good one (online and mobile features) is Alliant Credit Union - I'm very happy with them too.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 1:51 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

We've been with the Dark Side (BoA) since day one and have never had a single issue that I can think of. Online banking and the mobile app is a breeze. Shame when they took away tap and pay on their cc but plenty of others filled that gap.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 3:39 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
I live in New England, bank with Wells Fargo, and have never set foot in one of their branches in my life (even to open the account). I find their website and mobile services more than adequate for my needs.

Another good one (online and mobile features) is Alliant Credit Union - I'm very happy with them too.
Thanks tonrob, I just set up an account with alliant online which was very easy. Although you need to have some kind of affiliation with different employers/groups to get membership so I didn't think that was going to work for me but it turns out my gym membership did the trick!!
Old Jan 13th 2016, 6:06 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post

I agree with setting up the auto payments through the credit card rather than the bank, though.
I don't support that. Given how prevalent credit card fraud is here in the US, continually updating however many accounts with a new credit card number is an utter pain in the backside.

FAR easier to just use your bank # and routing number.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

I think I shall go with Wells Fargo. I like the sound of never having to go into the branch ;-) Thanks for the tips folks.