Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank help back home

Bank help back home

Old Apr 29th 2006, 6:33 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank help back home

Ok well i got a bit of a shock this evening, i decided to check online with my bank account in england (i dont even use the account, just had a little in it and was mostly sitting stagnant). Well i log in and it seems that as of janurary of this year they upgraded it and have now been charging me a monthly fee for it, can they do this without me even knowing it? Im freaking out a lil, as im not sure quite what to do, I don't have a clue if any of this came in the mail to my mum (she doesnt have a clue). Im thinking of just staying up late enough to call the branch in london to see wtf is going on, but i definitely want to close that account no matter what and i dont have a clue if i can even do that from over here. Ok i am sorry for seeming freaked out, it's just been quite a shock, as i dont understand at why or how this has happened. any suggestions or help would be very very welcome.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank help back home

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Ok well i got a bit of a shock this evening, i decided to check online with my bank account in england (i dont even use the account, just had a little in it and was mostly sitting stagnant). Well i log in and it seems that as of janurary of this year they upgraded it and have now been charging me a monthly fee for it, can they do this without me even knowing it? Im freaking out a lil, as im not sure quite what to do, I don't have a clue if any of this came in the mail to my mum (she doesnt have a clue). Im thinking of just staying up late enough to call the branch in london to see wtf is going on, but i definitely want to close that account no matter what and i dont have a clue if i can even do that from over here. Ok i am sorry for seeming freaked out, it's just been quite a shock, as i dont understand at why or how this has happened. any suggestions or help would be very very welcome.
Same thing happened to me ... my fault for not checking my statements online at regular intervals!

My bank said that they sent a leaflet with their statement several months ago ... of course, they know only too well that most people don't bother reading all the leaflets that come with their statement (my brother was checking my mail but couldn't remember seeing anything, as he said 'I just open everything, throw out all the crap and file the statements').

In my case, I was advised that a few years ago I agreed to have free text message banking .. I have a vague recollection of doing that, forgot all about it because I no longer had the cell phone and hadn't made any use of the service anyway. A few years later my bank decides to start charging for the free service ... that's how I got caught out anyway!

I guess the lesson learnt is that nothing in life is free ... especially when the freebie comes from your bank!
Old Apr 29th 2006, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Why stay up late ? .... They are ahead of us not behind.

I would call the bank and do something asap if I were you. I closed my British bank account over the phone in 2001 and they just tranferred the balance to my bank here, it cost a bit in fees but at least it arrived ok.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 2:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

What is the mailing address that your bank has for you? Is it your US address? If you can possibly change it to your present, US address, change it. I made arrangements with my bank (Barclays) to have statements and all correspondence sent to my US address before I moved to the US.

Don't you get regular statements? The monthly fee may have shown up on an earlier statement.

I would think your bank had notified you in writing about applying a monthly fee to your account. Perhaps you did not read the correspondence?

NC Penguin
Old Apr 29th 2006, 2:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful about closing your UK bank account. You never know when you might need it, and opening a new UK account as an expat living overseas is nigh on impossible.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 2:42 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Be careful about closing your UK bank account. You never know when you might need it, and opening a new UK account as an expat living overseas is nigh on impossible.
I'd second that - if I were you I'd get the charge thing sorted out, then downgrade it to the most basic no frills account to avoid any future charges, but definitely keep an account (this or another if you have any others) open as you never know when you may need it.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 2:51 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

As advised, I wouldn't close the account.
However, I know that 'inertia selling' is illegal.
Not sure if this applies to banks but a company for example can't just mail you goods and then charge you if you fail to return then, so I would like to think that a bank can't just change things without your express permission - your refusal to reply surely can't be good enough reason to justify charging you.

The nearest personal example I can give is when o2 changed my mobile tariff in the UK 3 months ago without my say so. I pay about £5 a month to keep the number on a minimal contract with roll-over minutes. I simply called them and asked why it had been changed without my express permission. They sounded a bit sheepish but switched me back to the original tariff and refunded any extra i had paid immediately.

If i were you I'd phone the bank and ask them to refund your cash, etc though maybe not a good idea to tell them that you've left the country permanently.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 4:02 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
As advised, I wouldn't close the account.
However, I know that 'inertia selling' is illegal.
Not sure if this applies to banks but a company for example can't just mail you goods and then charge you if you fail to return then, so I would like to think that a bank can't just change things without your express permission - your refusal to reply surely can't be good enough reason to justify charging you.

The nearest personal example I can give is when o2 changed my mobile tariff in the UK 3 months ago without my say so. I pay about £5 a month to keep the number on a minimal contract with roll-over minutes. I simply called them and asked why it had been changed without my express permission. They sounded a bit sheepish but switched me back to the original tariff and refunded any extra i had paid immediately.

If i were you I'd phone the bank and ask them to refund your cash, etc though maybe not a good idea to tell them that you've left the country permanently.
Thanks for all the responses!

Ok I have been trying to get some answers and no joy on a saturday on a bank holiday weekend. My bank still has my address back in england and my mother is the one who gets my mail and is supposed to check through it. I generally don't check it unless i feel an urge, mostly because there isnt really anything significant in there and i have (or should i say had) no monthly charges, i was keeping it open, in general as a "just in case" i have not yet been back to the uk, since i got married and became a resident here, so havent really had correspondance with the bank. I some how just don't understand how a bank can change my account to one of their "premier accounts" with a fee, when (even if i had seen any leaflets) i did not at all ask or agree to that. If they refuse to change the situation and put the money back in, i unfortunately do want to close the account, as i think i would be worried as to what might happen. ARGH ok, time to try calling my mother yet again and see if she has any answers (haven't been able to get hold of her).
Old Apr 29th 2006, 4:12 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

If they refuse to change the situation and put the money back in, i unfortunately do want to close the account, as i think i would be worried as to what might happen.
What they've done is out of order, but as others have said, its handy to keep a UK account just in case.
Call the bank on Tuesday, butdon't tell them you've left the country unless they ask.
Oh, and take no sh*t from them - I think you are entitled to get cash back from them (unless of course they charge for EVERY account now, which I doubt)
Old Apr 29th 2006, 4:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

TIf they refuse to change the situation and put the money back in, i unfortunately do want to close the account, as i think i would be worried as to what might happen. ARGH ok, time to try calling my mother yet again and see if she has any answers (haven't been able to get hold of her).

I know this is frustrating but whatever you do, do NOT close your account! Trust me, there will be a time you will need it.

Even if you do not ever need it whilst you are in the US, if you ever do return to the UK it will be a big mega hassle to try and open a new account in the UK.

Personally I believe every expat should have 2 UK accounts - one with a UK address and one with the foreign address.

(NB: I also use my UK account to pay NI contributions to protect my UK state pension rights. This might be worth looking into... Costs less than a latte per week.)
Old Apr 29th 2006, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

What if ...... and this is an 'IF' you changed to HSBC ? It is after all a British bank. Couldn't you somehow have use of it either side of the pond ?
Old Apr 29th 2006, 4:45 pm
Renegade who has it made

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
What if ...... and this is an 'IF' you changed to HSBC ? It is after all a British bank. Couldn't you somehow have use of it either side of the pond ?
ha, the thought really did cross my mind, apart from the fact that there is no hsbc here in indy. Otherwise i would prolly have done that. My hubby had hsbc when he was in NY, he hadda change it since they told him no hsbc here. If i was to change banks i would want to be able to go the bank,so that if i need to bitch i can do it loudly and in person LOL. I do know that my bank is actually a parent bank to a bank that i know is here in indy, so thats got me thinkin... I dunno. Still not being able to get hold of my mother, i keep getting that bloody (parden my french) bt call minder, ughhhhhh.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 4:47 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Switching or opening a bank account in the UK is a huge PITA because in addition to personal ID you need something like utility bills and council tax or mortgage statements.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 5:19 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

You mean that old British bank the Honk Kong and Shangai banking corporation?
Old Apr 29th 2006, 5:20 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

(NB: I also use my UK account to pay NI contributions to protect my UK state pension rights. This might be worth looking into... Costs less than a latte per week.)

It's alright for you you've only got a few years till you collect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.