Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank check fraud - HELP!!

Bank check fraud - HELP!!

Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:12 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank check fraud - HELP!!

I need your help, guys...

I don't know the full story yet (as I'm back in the UK), but these are the bare bones:

One of my sons was given a large check which he paid into his bank account. He then transferred the sum to someone via Western Union.

You guessed it - the check bounced.

I know - how could he be so stupid... But the milk is spilled.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks, guys!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank check fraud - HELP!!

I don't know if the FBI would get involved as it seems it might be check fraud. What does his bank have to say? Good luck to your son.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If he drew cash and used WU to transfer the money, he's s¢rewed. If he transferred the money electronically to WU he should inform his bank immediately, there is a small chance they can recall the transfer, ..... but the likelihood is that he is s¢rewed.

This is an all too common fraud, and is very successful because of people's naivity.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
I don't know if the FBI would get involved as it seems it might be check fraud. What does his bank have to say? Good luck to your son.
The FBI would be interested in fraud against the bank, they will have no interest whatsoever in fraud against an individual. Sorry.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:28 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Disown him.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 6:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The FBI would be interested in fraud against the bank, they will have no interest whatsoever in fraud against an individual. Sorry.
Yeah, pretty much.

Not looking good, unless the bank puts a stop on the transfer, but that doesn't sound likely to happen as it has to be done quickly.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

So how long does it take a check to clear into your bank account? Presumably the fraudsters assume you'll go to WU ASAP and then the check bounces later.

Just yesterday I had an email from a Craigslist "buyer" who wanted my details to send a check, plus a $50 bonus. I mean, seriously, who pays $50 on top of something advertised at $125?

Here's the text:
Thanks for the prompt response to my mail.I will be buying the item
from you and will be adding $50, so please kindly withdraw the advert
from CRAIGSLIST.and i will be paying you via bank certified check from
my Bank and the payment will be delivered to you via United Parcel
Service (UPS or FEDEX) and i will like you to get back to me with the
following information to facilitate the mailing out the check to
you... kindly get back to me with the..

Name to be on the payment...........
Home address...........
City..............
State...........
Zip Code..............
Cell phone #................

I will make arrangements for the pick up as soon as you have your
money I am completely satisfied with the advert and the payment will
be delivered within 2-3 working days.** I use a hearing impaired phone
# and will receive your calls via email **

N.B UPS and FEDEX does not deliver to a P.O box addresses.

Thank you
Shall I post the email address?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:11 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
So how long does it take a check to clear into your bank account? Presumably the fraudsters assume you'll go to WU ASAP and then the check bounces later.

Just yesterday I had an email from a Craigslist "buyer" who wanted my details to send a check, plus a $50 bonus. I mean, seriously, who pays $50 on top of something advertised at $125?

Here's the text:

I was selling some watches on Craigslist, and some dodgy fucker e-mailed me asking me to take my advert down and offering to basically pay double what I was asking. I did not respond.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I was selling some watches on Craigslist, and some dodgy fucker e-mailed me asking me to take my advert down and offering to basically pay double what I was asking. I did not respond.
Yes, I'll not be responding. Getting a certified check and mailing by UPS/Fedex is going to cost another couple of tenners too. I'm sure more people would fall for it if it wasn't for the unnecessary embellishments.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I need your help, guys...

I don't know the full story yet (as I'm back in the UK), but these are the bare bones:

One of my sons was given a large check which he paid into his bank account. He then transferred the sum to someone via Western Union.

You guessed it - the check bounced.

I know - how could he be so stupid... But the milk is spilled.

Thanks, guys!
Have a friend whos sister sold her dress on CL. The person buying it sent her a check fo a couple of grand when it was only listed for a couple of hundred. She stupidly banked the check, but refused to send the change back and also refused to send the dress until it had cleared. They threatened her for a few days, but alas the end result was predictable and the check bounced. She was dumb to think it would have been genuine, but luckily her hubby insisted she waited it out.

The bank told her that had she drawn on the check then she would have been legally responsible for it and that she would have had to repay. That was a few years ago, but im sure BofA still follow the same process even now.

My advice. Man up talk to the bank and explain that he was taken for a mug. Show them the proof and then hopefully it can be resolved amicably. I doubt your son will get away scott free from this saga, so look to be saving his pocket money for some years to come.
Hide from it and boy he be screwed big time.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:58 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Here's the text:

I have heard of bank certified checks taking upto six weeks or more before they bounce.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
I have heard of bank certified checks taking upto six weeks or more before they bounce.
I thought certified checks were a guarantee that the check wouldn't bounce - but it would appear that only applies to cashier checks, not certified checks. http://www.credittoday.net/public/1480.cfm
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:08 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I thought certified checks were a guarantee that the check wouldn't bounce - but it would appear that only applies to cashier checks, not certified checks. http://www.credittoday.net/public/1480.cfm
me too! glad I have now been informed. (and now with a little bit more sympathy for those scammed like this)
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:32 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Even a cashiers check will not be honored if it is a counterfeit, there have been a lot of these linked to buyer scams on sites like eBay and Craigslist.

Basically if it seems to be to good to be true it probably is a fraud.
Although we normally like to give people the benefit of the doubt, I would suggest be suspicisious.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible situation, to be sure.

I presume son is now wiser? Perhaps one way to look at it is as investment in son's education.

I bit screwed by a business partner many moons ago. In the end we had to sell the house and use equity to settle things. My own stupid fault, for sure.

But I think that £20k loss at the time was behind some excellent education that would have likely cost more & been less effective from a good business school...

I just wish it had not happened at that particular time, and that I could have planned for it

I hope this does get resolved soon. Let us know how things turn out. This thread has already been informative about check clearance etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.