Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank of America story

Bank of America story

Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:22 am
Loving the Pacific NW

Location: From Kildare, Ireland to Vancouver, BC to Portland, Oregon
Boylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud of
Default Bank of America story

So I applied for a seured credit card through BOA. I then received a letter saying I needed to verify mailing address with a utility bill and also to verify SCHOOL ENROLLMENT!!! Anyways, I ain't in school anymore so I called them about to see was it a mistake. I got bounced fpr agent to agent who all said they couldn't do anything. The last agent (or what I thought was an agent) came on and asked me to verify my date of birth and my my address and then asked me what DVD's I wanted to order!!!!!! I responded and said I had a question regarding my BOA credit card application and she responded that I was talking to a Midnight express agent!!! So the clowns at BOA had put me through to some company that sells DVD's!!
I decided to give up on BOA as a work colleague told me there is a credit union nearby that deals with tech companies in the area called First tech. So I will try them for a credit card and see what they say.
Anyone else had issues with BOA?
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:38 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank of America story

Originally Posted by Boylerz View Post
So I applied for a seured credit card through BOA. I then received a letter saying I needed to verify mailing address with a utility bill and also to verify SCHOOL ENROLLMENT!!! Anyways, I ain't in school anymore so I called them about to see was it a mistake. I got bounced fpr agent to agent who all said they couldn't do anything. The last agent (or what I thought was an agent) came on and asked me to verify my date of birth and my my address and then asked me what DVD's I wanted to order!!!!!! I responded and said I had a question regarding my BOA credit card application and she responded that I was talking to a Midnight express agent!!! So the clowns at BOA had put me through to some company that sells DVD's!!
I decided to give up on BOA as a work colleague told me there is a credit union nearby that deals with tech companies in the area called First tech. So I will try them for a credit card and see what they say.
I successfully obtained a BOA secured card about a year and a half ago with no problems. I applied online which involved then printing out and mailing the form (which I thought a little backward, but anyway). Got my card a couple of weeks later. Six months down the line they unsecured it and upped my limit without me having to ask, which I was pleased about. I do find their internet banking a pain though.

If the credit union doesn't work out then I'd go into a BOA branch and sit there while they sort it out. Much more motivation for them to solve things if you're on their premises rather than phoning some some call center.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

ahh good old BOFA... we had some bad times... and some more bad times....

try cashing a check for more than $5... see ya in 30 business days.
or
taking an ex-wife off your account... sorry sir she has to do that... what... she's in another country, she signed the damned form and sent you the paperwork... sorry sir we need her to do it in person....wtf?

we moved to a Chase Corporate account after 3 years of nothing but pain.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Won't deal with the BOA if they were the last bank standing in NYC. Not Chase either for that matter. Both are too big to give a darn about customers or customer service.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

we went for Chase because my company has a great deal with them and 5000+ accounts from a single company gets a person noticed
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Won't deal with the BOA if they were the last bank standing in NYC. Not Chase either for that matter. Both are too big to give a darn about customers or customer service.
Don't get me started about Chase. :curse:
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound View Post
we went for Chase because my company has a great deal with them and 5000+ accounts from a single company gets a person noticed
That's how we got suckered into using Chase.:curse:
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

what problems did you see?
Old Feb 21st 2007, 2:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

what problems did you see?
If you mean me try this for starters

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354628
Old Feb 21st 2007, 2:42 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

ahh good old BOFA... we had some bad times... and some more bad times....

try cashing a check for more than $5... see ya in 30 business days.
or
taking an ex-wife off your account... sorry sir she has to do that... what... she's in another country, she signed the damned form and sent you the paperwork... sorry sir we need her to do it in person....wtf?

we moved to a Chase Corporate account after 3 years of nothing but pain.
I've personally not had any issues. depositing a check for a few thousands dollars can require a 'hold' but i've found that I can just ask them to take the hold off with no issues.

We just wanted to get an unsecured line of credit for the wife which unfortunately her income wasn't enough for their minimum (need 100k income) but what my manager did was get her a credit card instead that has 1 year interest-free on purchases and cash advances and after than has a lifetime fixed rate of 7.9%!!!!

7.9 fixed. shit, thats incredible for a credit card over here.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

we put a check for 8k in... they held it for a total of 45 days dripfeeding $300 here and $500 there.

we were told it was because the account held <$1000 which we do on purpose due to being hit with online fraud.

second time they did it we had around $10k in there... they STILL held a $7k check for 45 days... which pissed me right off as we were in the middle of moving and need a LOT of cash available to pay all and sundry.

btw - the card @ 7.9... which one is it? I'm paying 16% right now.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:29 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

we put a check for 8k in... they held it for a total of 45 days dripfeeding $300 here and $500 there.

we were told it was because the account held <$1000 which we do on purpose due to being hit with online fraud.

second time they did it we had around $10k in there... they STILL held a $7k check for 45 days... which pissed me right off as we were in the middle of moving and need a LOT of cash available to pay all and sundry.

wow - that is really shit!

http://www.bankofamerica.com/creditc...800120249EN000

Bank of America WorldPoints™ Platinum Plus® MasterCard® Credit Card

0% on purchases and cash advance for 12 months then 7.9 after.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:31 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

The hold stuff is pretty standard and most americans seem to accept it. Like someone else said if you complain enough they will remove the hold. MIL had an issue with her bank (AMSOUTH) trying to put a hold on several insurance checks. To resolve this she just talked to the bank manager who took off the holds.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:34 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by Boylerz View Post
I would not give up that soon, you obviously got put through to a fool of a CSR, they are not all like that

BoA are prime credit suppliers like Citibank and Amex and typically have good customer service where you don't get outsourced to someone in india.

its worth the hassle in the long run

although for auto loans credit unions are awesome - 4.99% for a 5 year car loan is the best I know of right now...
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:50 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dan_alford View Post
The hold stuff is pretty standard and most americans seem to accept it. Like someone else said if you complain enough they will remove the hold. MIL had an issue with her bank (AMSOUTH) trying to put a hold on several insurance checks. To resolve this she just talked to the bank manager who took off the holds.
We got around this once by asking them to cash out the cheque and then deposited the cash into our account...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.