Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank of America & Social Security Number Nightmare - Please Help!

Bank of America & Social Security Number Nightmare - Please Help!

Old Feb 16th 2017, 12:30 am
Just Joined

mck890 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank of America & Social Security Number Nightmare - Please Help!

Hi guys,

So, I'm in a bit of a predicament and would really appreciate any advice.

I'm a dual UK-US citizen. I was born in the US to British parents but moved back at 3 months old and lived in the UK continuously until January this year when I moved to the US for work.

When I was offered the US job in November, I went straight to the Federal Benefits Unit at the US Embassy in London and put in my application for a Social Security Number. I was never assigned one as a child because I moved back to the UK when I was so young.

Now, almost three months later, I'm still waiting to be assigned a number (I was told it could take up to six months). My understanding is that I don't qualify for any temporary tax ID numbers as I'm a US citizen, rather than an immigrant worker.

My employer has so far been understanding (if confused), they realise the situation is not in my hands and have their fingers crossed I'll get assigned a number very soon.

The real problem now though is that Bank of America have frozen my bank account and are threatening to close it if I cannot produce a SSN in the next 20 days.

My account was frozen with no warning, and when I opened an account I was specifically told that it was not a problem I didn't have a SSN as I had a US passport and address. My salary is paid into my account, and I have no other US bank account.

So I'd like to ask for some collective wisdom if I may..
  • Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice?
  • Does anyone know anything I could do to prevent BoA closing my account?
  • Are there any US banks that do not require SSNs that I could open an account with?
  • Is there ANYTHING I could do that might make my SSN application move faster?

I feel like I'm trapped in a 'computer says no' nightmare every time I speak to any bank/SSA/or US Embassy employees.

Any advice much appreciated.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 12:53 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank of America & Social Security Number Nightmare - Please Help!

Go in person to the local SSA office and explain the situation, and file for it there. I'm surprised they take that long for people abroad. Which is why BofA are being a pain.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Bank of America should allow you to have a non interest bearing checking account without a social security number.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 3:11 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say how old you are but in the US at least since the late 60's (my daughter was born 1968) social security numbers were automatically given to all newborns after birth and were sent to the address listed on the birth certificate. The problem might well be that you already what a SS# and that is why you have not received any as of yet. The US Consulate/Embassy does not issue the SS #, they have no authorization to do so, but would have sent the application on to the SSD in the US for processing.

Go to the SSD closest to you with your birth certificate, if you have it, and your US passport and explain the situation.

Have your employer stop direct deposit of your pay immediately. They can issue you a check but without a bank account you might have difficulty cashing it. Go to the godawful B0A and talk to a manager. They can either open you another account which is not interest bearing or they can unfreeze your funds.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 3:48 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Ironically I opened my account with BofA because they were the only ones who would let me open a checking account without an SSN. It's just a simple checking account, probably similar to a basic bank account in the U.K. But that's all I need for now.

How is your employer paying you with an SSN?
Old Feb 16th 2017, 4:36 am
Just Joined

mck890 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for replies all.

I *think* my parents must have opted out of SSN when they applied for my birth certificate because they knew they were returning to UK (my impression is it's a box that you tick rather than something you're assigned automatically, I could be wrong). This document says its voluntary https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10023.pdf

I asked FBU at US embassy in London to check that I don't already have a SSN and they said that I don't. I will be making a trip to the SSA, but I'm wary of somehow getting assigned two numbers.

When I went to BoA they told me it wasn't a problem to not have a SSN, then this week they froze it with no warning. My employer is paying my salary into this account and is just waiting for me to be assigned a SSN so they can update their accounting system.

I will ask about non interest bearing checking account and see what they say. Otherwise I plan to withdraw cash and close it before they do.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

leepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond repute

Not the direct answer to your question but I opened an account with Wells Fargo in 2014. I have been working for Carnival Cruise Line since 2012 on a C1-D visa, so no access to Social Security number.

Might be worth speaking with Wells Fargo if you can't fix your BofA issue.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 6:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a SSN to open a non-interest account, not that interest means anything. Go to any old bank, but you'll probably need to speak to a supervisor type body so they can open it manually as the system is usually set to say no if you don't have a SSN and/or they're not used to setting up accounts for foreigners.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 7:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You don't say how old you are but in the US at least since the late 60's (my daughter was born 1968) social security numbers were automatically given to all newborns after birth .....
Sorry Rete, that's not true. Until 1986 most people didn't get an SSN until they were about 14. And I know independently that prior to the mid 1990's SSN's were routinely issued to teenagers. Immigrant records stand out because their SSNs are issued immediately after immigration, so if the time between date of birth and date SSN was issued is greater than 18, you can be fairly certain the person is an immigrant. And in fact today any difference greater than one year likely indicates an immigrant.

Per the linked Wiki page:
In 1988, the threshold was lowered to 2 years old, and in 1990, the threshold was lowered yet again to 1 year old. ..... Since then, parents have often applied for Social Security numbers for their children soon after birth; today, it can be done on the application for a birth certificate. .....

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 16th 2017 at 7:25 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 9:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, P but my post regarding my daughter's experiences in 1968 and 1971 still stands. Their Social Security numbers were applied for by hospital personnel while they were still in the hospital and were mailed to us at home.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 9:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Sorry, P but my post regarding my daughter's experiences in 1968 and 1971 still stands. Their Social Security numbers were applied for by hospital personnel while they were still in the hospital and were mailed to us at home.
OK, but that is unusal, and I have seen many, probably hundreds of records, maybe low-thousands which conform closely to the Wiki description - prior to the mid 80's SSN assigned around age 14-16, late 80's SSN assigned around age 4-6, and thereafter soon after birth. The glaring exceptions are SSNs assigned to immigrants, obviously assigned at whatever age they were when they arrived.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 16th 2017 at 9:32 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
OK, but that is unusal, and I have seen many, probably hundreds of records, maybe low-thousands which conform closely to the Wiki description - prior to the mid 80's SSN assigned around age 14-16, late 80's SSN assigned around age 4-6, and thereafter soon after birth. The glaring exceptions are SSNs assigned to immigrants, obviously assigned at whatever age they were when they arrived.
Yes, that matches my experience. I remember applying in the late '80's for SSNs for my children as they then became required at a young age to claim them as dependents on your tax return.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting.

The missus, got hers soon after birth. It was applied for along with the birth cert at the hospital. Same for her brother a few years later. '79.

Which is what happened with our kids.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Interesting.

The missus, got hers soon after birth. It was applied for along with the birth cert at the hospital. Same for her brother a few years later. '79. ....
As with Rete's children, I suspect it was optional back then, but not necessary and therefore not commonly done.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As with Rete's children, I suspect it was optional back then, but not necessary and therefore not commonly done.
It may have been required for tax deductions. So it may have depended on what the individual's tax position was.

Credit Unions are often quite more willing to work with you if you don't have an SSN. They do have more restrictions on who can join, so a non-resident may not be able to join.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.