British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bank Advice Please - Michigan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bank-advice-please-michigan-753912/)

Bayleaf_01 Apr 5th 2012 10:34 am

Bank Advice Please - Michigan

Hello,

We are now 5 weeks away from moving and I am starting to try and set things up for our arrival.
My husband's company have put us in touch with Fifth and Third Bank to open an account. Any thoughts on them?????
Also, we will probably be living in northern Troy or Rochester area of Michigan - can anyone recommend a bank with ATM's in the area?

Thank you :thumbup:

ian-mstm Apr 5th 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Bank Advice Please - Michigan

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01 (Post 9990343)
My husband's company have put us in touch with Fifth and Third Bank to open an account. Any thoughts on them??

My wife has an account with 5/3 in Kentucky. So far, she's had no problems with them.

... can anyone recommend a bank with ATM's in the area?
Just about every bank in the US has an ATM. Indeed, it'd be incredibly unusual to not have one.

Ian

rallybug Apr 5th 2012 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9990560)
My wife has an account with 5/3 in Kentucky. So far, she's had no problems with them.

Just about every bank in the US has an ATM. Indeed, it'd be incredibly unusual to not have one.

Ian

But you'll get charged by most banks if you're using an ATM from a different bank. Well, that's what happens with Wells Fargo account, anyway.

lisa67 Apr 5th 2012 3:29 pm

We lived in MI and used Chase. They seem to be everywhere up there.

ian-mstm Apr 5th 2012 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by rallybug (Post 9990635)
But you'll get charged by most banks if you're using an ATM from a different bank.

True... but that'd be true no matter which bank they use.

Ian

NatashaB Apr 5th 2012 4:32 pm

We use BoA who are fine and have lots of ATMs, although I'm still irrationally angry at them for the hoops they made us jump through for our mortgage. Chase ATMs appear to be everywhere in that area too. It may be worth looking into credit unions in your area too, as they tend to be more flexible than traditional banks with people who are new to the area with no credit history.

You can always get cash back in supermarkets so I would have thought that the quality of banking was the most important thing.

Enjoy Michigan and all the bumpy roads :)

Karen68 Apr 5th 2012 9:17 pm

Natasha - BofA saved our house purchase by giving us a mortgage at really short notice when our initial lender stopped answering the phone! We don't bank with them though.....

We use PNC - they've always been great and they have really good customer service if you need to go in and get a question answered. We had some issues with our tax status for interest exemption after we got our Greencards and the branch dealt with it for us. I also sat in there one morning while they got our credit card limit increased for us. I am in Bloomfield Hills, not far from where you will be and there are plenty of PNC branches around.

I second the bumpy roads comment. The automakers don't need proving grounds to test their cars, they just send them out on the local roads. Lahser is my personal nemesis, I'm on it every day.