Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

bank accounts, joint or single

bank accounts, joint or single

Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

rk164 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bank accounts, joint or single

I am living in california with my wife on L1/L2 visas (wife has L1). My wife opened a bank account and got a secured credit card about 6 months ago.

I have got an EAD and am looking for job. I was intending on opening a bank account when I secure a job. Is is better (in terms of credit score) to open up my own account or add my name to my wife's so it becomes a joint account?

Thanks in advance

rk164
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: bank accounts, joint or single

Originally Posted by rk164
I am living in california with my wife on L1/L2 visas (wife has L1). My wife opened a bank account and got a secured credit card about 6 months ago.

I have got an EAD and am looking for job. I was intending on opening a bank account when I secure a job. Is is better (in terms of credit score) to open up my own account or add my name to my wife's so it becomes a joint account?

Thanks in advance

rk164
To my knowledge having a joint bank account will make no difference to your credit score.

However if you can get added as an authorised user on the credit card that may help.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

won't make any difference having your own account or not...

if your wife has had the card for 6 months, she'll have a start to a score, sign up to her card to piggy back off of it...and read the wiki on financial info as it's a good resource.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
won't make any difference having your own account or not...

if your wife has had the card for 6 months, she'll have a start to a score, sign up to her card to piggy back off of it...and read the wiki on financial info as it's a good resource.
bumping up ur credit score - get added onto the credit card of someone in ur family, or best friend lol who has a good track record and u automatically receive the credit card history on ur credit report. Do not even need to use the credit card, rip it up when u receive it. for newbies a great head start on the credit score chart.