Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

bank accounts

bank accounts

Old Mar 9th 2005, 4:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bank accounts

Originally Posted by preet
I know that all banks in USA need a social security or tax ID number to open account. How do they open your account then without having those numbers. I am trying to open one but they ask for those numbers and wont open one for me. please help.
Try Bank of America. But do it in person, and make sure you speak to someone senior. Worked for us - we opened our first account as tourists.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Try Bank of America. But do it in person, and make sure you speak to someone senior. Worked for us - we opened our first account as tourists.
apparently my nursing agency will take me to open an account once we get to america will close accounts at home and get bankers drafts in dollars which we will deposit in the account once we get here. the agency tell me that ss number shouldnt be a problem as i will have employment to go to straight away
thanks for the advice thank god i found this forum as i have had nothing but good friendly advice on here!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 4:54 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
apparently my nursing agency will take me to open an account once we get to america will close accounts at home and get bankers drafts in dollars which we will deposit in the account once we get here. the agency tell me that ss number shouldnt be a problem as i will have employment to go to straight away
thanks for the advice thank god i found this forum as i have had nothing but good friendly advice on here!

NO NO NO !!!!

Do NOT close your UK bank accounts! You'll find it difficult if not impossible to open another one in the future, and you cannot function as a British expat without a UK bank account!

In fact, you may want to keep at least one UK bank account with a valid UK address. It is highly likely that there will be times when you will find it useful.

I would also suggest you open some unit trust or investment trust accounts before you leave. Again, impossible to start after you leave, but you never know when you'll find it useful. You can contribute from the US provided it was opened before you leave.

Also, consider using your ISA allowance for this tax year - you won't be able to to contribute after you leave but you can keep the ones you already have.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

NO NO NO !!!!

Do NOT close your UK bank accounts! You'll find it difficult if not impossible to open another one in the future, and you cannot function as a British expat without a UK bank account!

In fact, you may want to keep at least one UK bank account with a valid UK address. It is highly likely that there will be times when you will find it useful.

I would also suggest you open some unit trust or investment trust accounts before you leave. Again, impossible to start after you leave, but you never know when you'll find it useful. You can contribute from the US provided it was opened before you leave.

Also, consider using your ISA allowance for this tax year - you won't be able to to contribute after you leave but you can keep the ones you already have.

Donnas spot on with this - keep the UK account open - we just use a c/o address at MILs - also you can open without SS number accounts at BoA and Wells Fargo - it does help to have a nice fat wad of cash to deposit - always gets you past the SS number issue
Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

NO NO NO !!!!
Great advice!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Great advice!
again i thank you for your wisdom!
if we survive all this i will be very suprised!