Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank accounts

Bank accounts

Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:24 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Bank accounts

Hiya, ok more questions! From what I've read on here so far opening a US bank account can be a major headache. Is there anything in particular that can help/hinder our application? Also another thing I'm not sure on is whether or not I will be allocated a social security number as I will have a H4 visa - if I don't will this hinder our bank account application (my husband I assume will get one as he's the one with the job!)

Ta
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Kite Chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bank accounts

Hi

It does depend on what state you are moving too as to the SSN question. I moved to Illinois a couple of months ago on a H4 visa with my hubby on a H1B. He has had no problem with getting an SSN however when I went to see the lovely people at the social security office they informed me that in Illinois they no longer issue SSNs to people on H4 status.

Re bank accounts - my hubby opened a bank account at Bank One. I then became a joint name on the account once it had opened - as I was the one without the SSN.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Kite
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:12 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!

Thanks, thats good to know! Did you have any problems with the opening of the account? What kind of info did the bank require?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by crazi_daizi
Thanks, thats good to know! Did you have any problems with the opening of the account? What kind of info did the bank require?
We managed to find a very sympathetic bank manager who was great . The main problem is that they needed an SSN to set up an account. Alisdair had a letter from the social security to say that he had applied for one. The bank used a default SSN until his turned up. The bank also wanted to see passports/visas, a copy of the lease of our apartment (to connect us to a US address) and some form of proof of employment. We also took with us our credit report from Experian plus statements and letters from our bank in the UK - just to be on the safe side! One thing that I have noticed from my couple of months here is that the Americans seem to like red tape and it can be quite frustrating until you get into the swing of things.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:31 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by crazi_daizi
Hiya, ok more questions! From what I've read on here so far opening a US bank account can be a major headache. Is there anything in particular that can help/hinder our application? Also another thing I'm not sure on is whether or not I will be allocated a social security number as I will have a H4 visa - if I don't will this hinder our bank account application (my husband I assume will get one as he's the one with the job!)

Ta
I'm an H4 visa too, and to be honest you don't really need a SSN yourself. Your husband can use his SSN for joint bank accounts, mortgages, insurance etc. The only time I have to quote a SSN is when getting medical treatment, and then it's my husbands number as he is the main insurance policy holder anyway. It's no big deal not having one and in most instances where you are asked for one, they either just accept you don't have one, or try using other methods of ID.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:43 pm
spiggle meister

cool, just checking, better to be prepared! thanks
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
I'm an H4 visa too, and to be honest you don't really need a SSN yourself. Your husband can use his SSN for joint bank accounts, mortgages, insurance etc. The only time I have to quote a SSN is when getting medical treatment, and then it's my husbands number as he is the main insurance policy holder anyway. It's no big deal not having one and in most instances where you are asked for one, they either just accept you don't have one, or try using other methods of ID.
Lady - Can I just ask if you are a H4 holder and don't have an SSN, have you managed to get a US driving licence?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kite Chick
Lady - Can I just ask if you are a H4 holder and don't have an SSN, have you managed to get a US driving licence?
Driving licence and banking rule are a lot easier in Florida
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ray6
Driving licence and banking rule are a lot easier in Florida
Do you own a dodge by any chance?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by effi
Do you own a dodge by any chance?
No!! a Trebant GXL series 9
With Turbo

Why do you ask?

Last edited by ray6; Jan 8th 2004 at 9:49 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Limbo is an unknown quantity at this point

We have recently arrived in the US and we setup a bank account once I had a SSN. My wife was added straight away as joint holder without a SSN. This is in Texas.

However, we didn't have any letters etc from utilities so couldn't prove our address. Instead we used the UK address on our UK driving licenses as proof of an address and set this as our permenant address, then set the mailing address as our US address. We used our passports as secondary ID.

However, the bank warned us, because we are not US citizens we had to fill out extra forms to prove we aren't internationl terrorists etc (Since October 1st 2003). These forms then get submitted to some government body to check. If they are not happy they freeze your nice new US account.
Also, if they don't look at the forms and approve them within 5 days then the computer freezes your account automatically. Guess whats just happened to us
We are living off our quickly depleting UK account at the moment unable to touch any of the cash in the new account.

Apparently the Government Dept that checks this stuff is backlogged.... great news for us.

They really love the red tape here.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 1:32 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the warning Limbo. I've only managed to find one bank in my area who will open an account before I have my SSN so I'll have to watch for that.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 2:06 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to open an account here in Phoenix with Wells Fargo without a SSN, and it was incredibly easy. I just needed to fill in a form and deposit $100. Only thing I couldn't do was have access to online banking until I had the SSN. It took one simple phone call to get that instated once I had my SSN. I'm a permanent resident though, and I don't know if that makes a difference. I didn't show my green card though as I didn't have it then...I just showed my passport.