Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank account without S/S number?

Bank account without S/S number?

Old May 10th 2004, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Susanna is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Bank account without S/S number?

Just gone to the bank to open an account in my name.
Not happening they want a S/S number not hubbys no good.......mine
I went to the S/S office today and after being told last week no problem, they now reckon yes 2 weeks as others had mentioned, then if nothing it goes to Immigration and can take another 8 weeks:scared: .
I showed all the banks that I have applied for a number by the ketter they gave me.....but NO WAY.

Anyone know a National bank that let you open an account?
Old May 10th 2004, 5:02 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Bank account without S/S number?

Originally posted by Susanna
Just gone to the bank to open an account in my name.
Not happening they want a S/S number not hubbys no good.......mine
I went to the S/S office today and after being told last week no problem, they now reckon yes 2 weeks as others had mentioned, then if nothing it goes to Immigration and can take another 8 weeks:scared: .
I showed all the banks that I have applied for a number by the ketter they gave me.....but NO WAY.

Anyone know a National bank that let you open an account?

all that is required of you to open up a bank account is proper identification. not a SSN. the response you are getting is subjective. walk into as many banks as possible without letting them know that you have tried elsewhere. at least one bank clerk will let you open an account. other than identifying yourself, you will need a US address.

it happened to me too. denied account in one branch only to open in another. without SSN or US address, late last year before i moved here.
Old May 10th 2004, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Gross50
all that is required of you to open up a bank account is proper identification. not a SSN. the response you are getting is subjective. walk into as many banks as possible without letting them know that you have tried elsewhere. at least one bank clerk will let you open an account. other than identifying yourself, you will need a US address.

it happened to me too. denied account in one branch only to open in another. without SSN or US address, late last year before i moved here.

Well will keep trying but they reckon its the law that states a S/S is needed
I must say I thought the same as you have mentioned ie subjective
Old May 10th 2004, 5:19 pm
Sibsie

The law they are referring to is the Patriot Act and the act doesn't
require SSN to open an account.

Go higher up the food chain in the
banks. I found Citizens to be really helpful.

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 10th 2004, 5:19 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

The law they are referring to is the Patriot Act and the act doesn't require SSN to open an account.

Go higher up the food chain in the banks. I found Citizens to be really helpful.
Old May 10th 2004, 5:20 pm
Sibsie

The law they are referring to is the Patriot Act and the act doesn't
require SSN to open an account.

Go higher up the food chain in the
banks. I found Citizens to be really helpful.

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 10th 2004, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Susanna
Well will keep trying but they reckon its the law that states a S/S is needed
I must say I thought the same as you have mentioned ie subjective

We opened an account with Fleet in Maine with no ssn, but we did go to other banks that said that they required them. Keep looking..

and good luck. I know how frustrating it can be to not be able to do anything without a SSN....
Old May 10th 2004, 6:03 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You do not need a SS# to open a US bank account, nor do you even need to be legally resident.

As my wife (for her sins) works for them, I can confirm that the requirements for Wells Fargo are 2 picture IDs – one should be government issued (passport, DL, etc), the other can be almost anything (student ID, employee ID, Check Cash Place ID, etc). This is presumably WF’s interpretation of the Patriot Act – but I can’t believe the other players will be particularly different.

Without the SS#, you definitely won’t be applying for any credit, but all the other products should be open to you including the Visa/ATM card.
Old May 10th 2004, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sibsie
The law they are referring to is the Patriot Act and the act doesn't require SSN to open an account.

Go higher up the food chain in the banks. I found Citizens to be really helpful.
Sibsie
Is Citizens a national bank?
Just called the US BANK and they refused me this morning so the branch manager is going to call me back.
There is always something lol
Thanks everyone
Old May 10th 2004, 6:45 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Georgia and I use Wachovia for my account.

I just showed them my passport and they opened it there on the spot with a Visa/Debit card and cheque book.
Old May 10th 2004, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally posted by rincewind
I'm in Georgia and I use Wachovia for my account.

I just showed them my passport and they opened it there on the spot with a Visa/Debit card and cheque book.
Wachovia wouldn't let my husband add me to his bank account without an SSN. I could be a beneficiary but not actually the account. We also have an account at Bank of America and that was no problem adding me to that account without an SSN (check card issued etc)
Old May 10th 2004, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

we have found this with many things over hear, basically the drones at the counters don't know very much. If you ask to speak to the manager you will get an account.
Old May 11th 2004, 3:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AlisonPA
Wachovia wouldn't let my husband add me to his bank account without an SSN. ....
Like USbound said, the cl(j)erk on the desk wouldn't let you be added, that does not mean that it is Wachovia policy.

Unfortunately as non American citizens none of us fit the standard mold for many financial/ utilities/ credit/ insurance products, so you have to learn to be proactive in asking to speak to someone higher up the corporate tree to find (hopefully) an intelligent answer to your problems.
Old May 11th 2004, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

It's all about taxes. The big banks are majorly tied in and bossed around by the IRS.

Reason being usually they're pretty strict on SSN's cuz many drug dealers would open up bank accounts, and deposits millions of tax-free money, pay checks, etc. -- and the IRS was powerless cuz it's a fake name and no SSN to tie it too.

Plus you could open a business with no SSN and do millions in sales and pay no tax since nothing gets reported.

It also prevents millions of illegals from generating tens of thousands of dollars in income a year, depositing in bank accounts, and paying no taxes at the end of the year.

Working and not paying taxes is still illegal in the US of A.

-= nav =-
Old May 11th 2004, 1:16 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by supernav
It's all about taxes. The big banks are majorly tied in and bossed around by the IRS.
If you open an account without a SSN the bank deducts 28% federal tax automatically on any interest earned in that account. It gets reported to the IRS so you really can't escape it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.