Reload this Page >

BANK ACCOUNT? in the USA HELP!!

BANK ACCOUNT? in the USA HELP!!

Old Sep 14th 2003, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

RobbieUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy BANK ACCOUNT? in the USA HELP!!

Hi There,
I am going to the USA for 6 Months on Holiday on the B2 Visitors Visa.. Can I open a bank account whilst over there? As it will be easier to Move money from my UK Account on-line.

I heard that I may need a Social Security No. etc???.. Is there anyway I can just walk into a Bank & Open an Account with Cash?

& if not is there anyway round this?

Many Thanks in advance..

-Robbie
Old Sep 14th 2003, 4:39 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

The general rules are these my sand grown friend (they are not set in stone)

You can walk in off the streets and open a bank account without an SSN as long as you have proof of who you are and an address in the US.

You cannot open a bank account without a SSN over the phone or online.

If you do not have an SSN with will stop you getting any kind of credit in the US, no matter how long you have had your account.

A bank account will not be accepted as proof of residency for a driving license (with no supporting SSN)

Patrick
Old Sep 14th 2003, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

RobbieUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patrick
The general rules are these my sand grown friend (they are not set in stone)

You can walk in off the streets and open a bank account without an SSN as long as you have proof of who you are and an address in the US.

You cannot open a bank account without a SSN over the phone or online.

If you do not have an SSN with will stop you getting any kind of credit in the US, no matter how long you have had your account.

A bank account will not be accepted as proof of residency for a driving license (with no supporting SSN)

Patrick
Hi Patrick,
and many thanks for your answer.. I will be taking cash with me & it would be so much easier to just open an account over there as I will intend to buy a car for the 6 Months I am there.. also I wanted to maybe open an account on Ebay.com over there as I can do this with a Bank account & An address I presume which will be cool too..

Many thanks again my friend & Just to let yu know Blackpool lost 2-1 at the hands of the Mighty Bournmouth??? Yesterday DOH!!! Some things never change..

Kind Regards...

-Rob
Old Sep 14th 2003, 6:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BANK ACCOUNT? in the USA HELP!!

Originally posted by RobbieUK
Hi There,
I am going to the USA for 6 Months on Holiday on the B2 Visitors Visa.. Can I open a bank account whilst over there? As it will be easier to Move money from my UK Account on-line.

I heard that I may need a Social Security No. etc???.. Is there anyway I can just walk into a Bank & Open an Account with Cash?

& if not is there anyway round this?

Many Thanks in advance..

-Robbie
It depends a lot on what State you will be in...some States are very funny about it ...Florida you will be OK ...
Old Sep 14th 2003, 6:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RobbieUK
.... as I will intend to buy a car for the 6 Months I am there.. .....
Without a SS number and proof of residence you may find it difficult, if not impossible to get insurance, especially as you don't have a US licence. There are many here who will tell you how hard it was to get insurance when they first arrived as an immigrant. You are going to find it harder, possibly much harder.

Also, without a licence, you may find it difficult to register yor vehicle - states normally expect to see a licence when a vehicle is registered.