Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank account

Bank account

Old Oct 31st 2017, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank account

Went into chase to open a bank account and was told that I need a proof of address to open an account - we’re in an Airbnb whilst looking for a apartment and I have no utility bills lol so I’m unsure what the hell to do.

No social yet as only just landed here on my IR1 on Saturday.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 12:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank account

Originally Posted by viitav
.... so I’m unsure what the hell to do. .....
Get an address. Banks are legally required to obtain a verifiable address for every new customer, which means either a paper document such as a utility bill, or something in an on-line database that banks have access to and is indexed using your SSN .... which you don't have. In any case even if you did have an SSN your records would be very few.

It has been reported a number of times by people here on BE that Wells Fargo will take (at least sometimes) proof of your work address or your address in the UK (either meet the above-mentioned legal requirement).
Old Oct 31st 2017, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Chase opened us a bank account using a work address, on the employment offer letter, and used that one to mail out cards, etc. Once we had a lease a couple of weeks later, they switched it over.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It has been reported a number of times by people here on BE that Wells Fargo will take (at least sometimes) proof of your work address or your address in the UK (either meet the above-mentioned legal requirement).
If you were to use a UK address with Wells Fargo what kind of evidence would they need? UK drivers licence maybe?
Old Oct 31st 2017, 12:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyMan74
If you were to use a UK address with Wells Fargo what kind of evidence would they need? UK drivers licence maybe?
I am not sure as I was only reporting others' experience, but I would imagine a UK driving licence should work. On the other hand the branch staff might not be comfortable with that and decline to open the account - bank branch staff can be very hard to predict.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 1:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Chase opened us a bank account using a work address, on the employment offer letter, and used that one to mail out cards, etc. Once we had a lease a couple of weeks later, they switched it over.
Ditto...we also bank with Chase...although it was over 21 years ago.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Ditto...we also bank with Chase...although it was over 21 years ago.
Any account-opening experience prior to the implementation of the section of the USA PATRIOT Act that governs the opening of bank accounts, is obsolete.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 31st 2017 at 1:51 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 1:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Any account-opening experience prior to the USA PATRIOT Act is obsolete.
That’s why I said it was over 21 years ago.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 1:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viitav
Went into chase to open a bank account and was told that I need a proof of address to open an account - we’re in an Airbnb whilst looking for a apartment and I have no utility bills lol so I’m unsure what the hell to do.

No social yet as only just landed here on my IR1 on Saturday.

Do I recall that you are transferring to your UK company's NYC office? If so, use the office address until you have a residence.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Noodler is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried to open a Chase account using work address and they said it has to be reseidential. They will accept a letter from your work stating you are employed and residing at XXXX address. That is what I used.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That’s why I said it was over 21 years ago.
We bank with Chase and we were able to open an account without proof-of-address while we were still living in temporary corporate housing in NYC. That was seven years ago.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs
We bank with Chase and we were able to open an account without proof-of-address while we were still living in temporary corporate housing in NYC. That was seven years ago.
I wouldn't bet on that being possible again, because proof of address is an explicit requirement of the USA PATRIOT Act before an account can be opened. Which is exactly what Viitav discovered!
Old Oct 31st 2017, 3:39 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

We also started out with Chase using hubby's work address, was 9 years ago though maybe they have changed the rules.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

DebbieBullen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kodokan
Same for us
Old Oct 31st 2017, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bet on that being possible again, because proof of address is an explicit requirement of the USA PATRIOT Act before an account can be opened. Which is exactly what Viitav discovered!
Yet the PATRIOT Act was passed long before our experience at the start of 2011.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.