Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

bank account

bank account

Old Apr 8th 2008, 2:53 pm
laadla

bhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nice
Default bank account

This is not immigration issue but related to it.
I am an Indian by birth; but immigrated to the US and visit India not very often.
Could someone please point me to a site or explain what the best difference b/w the NRE is and NRO accounts in India. What are the pros/cons for them?
I have a local saving account in HSBC India, when I left India. I don’t have ATM/Debit card for that account. The cards are expired and they won’t courier a new ATM/Debit card to the USA. I don’t have any earning in India by rent, share etc. I care less for the interest in that account.
I have just opened a local HSBC account in US. Local bank manager says I can just transfer/wire the money but they will charge $50 for the transaction. The HSBC India suggests that I change that Indian saving account to NRO account, and then I could telegraphic transfer/TT the money to the new US account.
Is there any US Tax implication, if I wire the Rupees from Indian account to the US bank acc.? I don’t want to drop money for taxes.
Local HSBC bank doesn’t know much about NRO account; I wonder how I will withdrawal money from that NRO account. Do they offer cheques/checks. Or it’s better to change that Indian saving account to NRO account and get a debit card [if they offer] from that account to use it in the USA.
I want a bank account from where I can withdrawal money in the USA in US$.
Thanks in advance.
bhola
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bank account

No idea on the tax front, and no idea if there's a tax treaty for dual taxes, best ask an account with international experience....but for transferring money, xe.com seem to be the popular choice for people on this site