Bangers

Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bangers

Well after yesterday, could be talking about my car, but I ain't.

Stop n Shop, for those that have 'em, the Irish Bangers, 12 for $4.70 Not bad at all, but has anyone tried the bacon?

If anyone's tried it, I'd be interested to know as it'll be cheaper than trying to find the Brit store with the lovely bacon in Peabody.

And what other sausages are worth trying out and other pseudo Brit stuff?
Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bangers

Originally Posted by Bob

Stop n Shop, for those that have 'em, the Irish Bangers, 12 for $4.70 Not bad at all, but has anyone tried the bacon?

If anyone's tried it, I'd be interested to know as it'll be cheaper than trying to find the Brit store with the lovely bacon in Peabody.

Whole Foods sausages are just as good as any UK ones I've ever had - in our local store they have about 20 flavours each day and rotate them so you get a great selection. Some of the flavours are really unusual but they always have a couple of good brekkie sausages included in the selection of the day, and of the unusual flavoured ones I'm yet to try one I don't like.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
Whole Foods sausages are just as good as any UK ones I've ever had - in our local store they have about 20 flavours each day and rotate them so you get a great selection. Some of the flavours are really unusual but they always have a couple of good brekkie sausages included in the selection of the day, and of the unusual flavoured ones I'm yet to try one I don't like.
Yeah, I've seen those, well the local wholefoods is pretty tiny and a bit of a mare to get to, well I keep missing it as it's tucked away, and not cheap...but I've been told there's another bigger, nicer one elsewhere near Trader Joe's, but that's a mare to leave once your in the lot, so not checked it out yet.

The fresh meats look great, so does the lamb, but that was expensive *l*
Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, I've seen those, well the local wholefoods is pretty tiny and a bit of a mare to get to, well I keep missing it as it's tucked away, and not cheap...but I've been told there's another bigger, nicer one elsewhere near Trader Joe's, but that's a mare to leave once your in the lot, so not checked it out yet.

I've found that most stuff is about the same price as you would pay in your average British supermarket, which is expensive over here, granted, and I am falling into the trap of comparing, which is a big no no! But the quality is so so much higher than anything else I've been able to find.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

surfsbabe will become famous soon enough

Our local Vons sells British bangers, I think the brand is Piccadilly with a big Union Jack on the label. Even my yank husband says they're the best sausages he has ever eaten! They come in packs of 5 but I don't remember the price.

Has anyone else noticed that they pack the meats in odd numbers here? Like one piece of steak or three pieces but rarely two or four. What's three about? One for me and two for him???
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I got some Irish bacon from a local Irish shop and although it was better than American bacon, I was a little disapointed. It was basically cured pork loin so there was no rind and it was basically a circle. Tasted good in a sandwich, but not as good as the real stuff!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Irish Bacon is all that my Canadian husband will eat when he wants bacon. It's not bad. I find it rather tasteless myself but then I love American Bacon ;-)

Originally Posted by Bob

Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

YUP, that is the only issue I have with S&S. We have a lovely one here in Yonkers, NY and it is the only place we shop. For meats, however, I tend to go to Costco for pork and beef and then separate and freeze for smaller meals. Only by chicken at S&S and then only the "White Gem" brand. Won't touch Perdue ... too fatty.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by suzimc
I've found that most stuff is about the same price as you would pay in your average British supermarket, which is expensive over here, granted, and I am falling into the trap of comparing, which is a big no no! But the quality is so so much higher than anything else I've been able to find.
I've generally found the opposite, well the organic stuff is superb, but you do pay a premium for it, but the regular stuff seems to be a lot more expensive for the quality, especially the meat..and I do miss lamb, that's way to expensive for what really is a lump of bone and fat with a few tissues of meat....but the whole foods has nice lamb, but that's even more expensive *l*
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:14 pm
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

can you not just buy sausage meat and make your own? do they sell sausage meat over there? you know like what they use to make scotch eggs? do the scotch eggs over there even taste the same as they do in the UK?
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Rete
Irish Bacon is all that my Canadian husband will eat when he wants bacon. It's not bad. I find it rather tasteless myself but then I love American Bacon ;-)
Anything that can be nuked in the microwave ain't bad by me

And the US stuff really ain't bad for a fry up, but for a sarnie, every now and again, can't beat the stuff from home
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by andie&jase
can you not just buy sausage meat and make your own? do they sell sausage meat over there? you know like what they use to make scotch eggs? do the scotch eggs over there even taste the same as they do in the UK?
Errr...as in the pattie stuff? I've not seen it around, but I'm sure it must be around somewhere....haven't seen any scotch eggs and I do miss them, especially the mini ones from M&S...and way to much hassle to make myself *l*
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:21 pm
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Errr...as in the pattie stuff? I've not seen it around, but I'm sure it must be around somewhere....haven't seen any scotch eggs and I do miss them, especially the mini ones from M&S...and way to much hassle to make myself *l*
yeah that stuff. i saw some scotch eggs in the phoenix meet-up photos, so you must be able to get them over there somewhere.

i'm gonna try and make my own sausages, either that or eat that many whilst i'm still in the UK that I make myself sick and never want to look at another sausage again......that should solve the problem! lol

i'm also going to have a go at making my own crumpets too......i don't think you can get them there either, can you?
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by andie&jase

i'm also going to have a go at making my own crumpets too......i don't think you can get them there either, can you?
well the patties you get here are small little burger type things of sausage meet and not that great from what I've seen in maine, not explored the grocery stores enough around mass to know.

There are good sausages to be found around here though, but there either a tad pricey or just not really breakfast sausages, having maple or blueberries etc is nice, but not really for a sausage sarnie...

crumpets, you can get them around here from time to time, often co-op type organic stores have them and there pretty good, but not cheap.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:39 pm
redneck scouser

Originally Posted by Bob
well the patties you get here are small little burger type things of sausage meet and not that great from what I've seen in maine, not explored the grocery stores enough around mass to know.

There are good sausages to be found around here though, but there either a tad pricey or just not really breakfast sausages, having maple or blueberries etc is nice, but not really for a sausage sarnie...

crumpets, you can get them around here from time to time, often co-op type organic stores have them and there pretty good, but not cheap.
i might just open up me own cafe when i get there with all english food, i'm sure i'll make a fortune, especially if i call it "Andie's Bangers" !!!! hehe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.