Baltimore as a tourist....1-6 August

Old Jul 27th 2006, 7:09 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baltimore as a tourist....1-6 August

This is the DC Metro Website:

http://www.wmata.com/
Old Jul 27th 2006, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
Might be a good idea to leave your car in Alexandria, VA and get the Metro over to DC. Parking in DC is a challenge at the best of times and the DC police actively enforce parking regs.

Getting around DC is pretty easy, maybe try the tour bus, which takes you all around Arlington Cemetery and all around DC. You can get on and off the bus as much as you like. (http://www.tourmobile.com/index.php) A river cruise might be nice too, we went on the Capitol Cruises boat and had a pretty nice 30 minutes or so seeing the sights of DC by boat ( http://www.capitolrivercruises.com/)

Just a couple of suggestions for you.

Eh? Alexandria's to the south of DC and Baltimore is to the North. I would think it's more sensible to park the car at a Metro station north of DC and get on the Metro there to get to Alexandria, etc.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Eh? Alexandria's to the south of DC and Baltimore is to the North. I would think it's more sensible to park the car at a Metro station north of DC and get on the Metro there to get to Alexandria, etc.
It would.... but if you are looking to kill time there's plenty to do around Alexandria
Old Jul 27th 2006, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

You What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Thanks everyone - really appreciate it.

We're going to DC on Thursday, so that's one day sorted at least.

Looks like I'll be pottering about a bit in the daytime then.....thought that might be the case.

Cheers

I live in Baltimore, there is nothing much in the way of tourism outside of the Inner Harbour, the convention centre is staging a Numismatic display at the moment, but if you don't like coin collecting it will put you to sleep.

If you like a bet at the race tracks there is Pimlico, the home of "The Preakness", if you like operas and orchestras you are in the right place. You could take a water taxi (about $10 round trip from the inner harbour) out to a place called "Fells Point" it's as historic as Baltimore gets with old cobbled streets etc. etc. there's plenty of restaurants and bars out there too.

Edgar Allen Poe comes from Baltimore, hence the football team being called "The Baltimore Ravens", there is some of his work on display in a few different places.

If you walk up "Pratt Street" from the inner harbour, you will be at both The baseball and football stadiums, `

If you want my advice you should also try and go down to our state capital.... Annapolis, it's a beautiful town with plenty to do and it's only 30 mins from Baltimore down I-97.

Also, one of the biggest tourist attractions around here is the Amish town of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I-83 is the main Interstate that runs out of the north side of Baltimore, it will run you right by Lancaster in approx 1 hour.

Be warned Baltimore can be a very dangerous place at night, I live here and I would never wander around outside of the Inner Harbour, Federal Hill or Fells Point at night. Infact, only 2 years ago it held the nations record for the most murders in one city in one year. When you get to Baltimore, get a phone number of a recognised taxi company and only use their taxis, a popular crime is to mark a car to look like a taxi then drive around picking up people and robbing them...... Not to put you off or anything.

Last edited by You What John; Jul 27th 2006 at 10:48 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you sooooo much for all of your suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Lots of ideas, many of which I'd not thought about.

cheers
Old Jul 28th 2006, 4:08 pm
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

could always jump on a plane and take a short flight to NY while your there too. You could drive too, it's only about 200 miles
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

The Aquarium at the Inner HArbour is well worth seeing, and the rest of the inner harbour can take a bit of your time. But it is very touristy.

Going up Charles Street, the Walters art gallery is well worth a visit.

Fells Point and Canton both have some decent bars and restaurants.

If you're when there's a game on, then Camden Yards is one of the nicest baseball stadiums in the US, althought the O's suck right now.

As everyone has mentioned, DC is just down the road, as is Annapolis, which is rather quaint. Surprised nobody has mentioned the eastern shore, which has a few quaint old towns too.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 3:26 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pharrya
The Aquarium at the Inner HArbour is well worth seeing, and the rest of the inner harbour can take a bit of your time. But it is very touristy.

Going up Charles Street, the Walters art gallery is well worth a visit.

Fells Point and Canton both have some decent bars and restaurants.

If you're when there's a game on, then Camden Yards is one of the nicest baseball stadiums in the US, althought the O's suck right now.

As everyone has mentioned, DC is just down the road, as is Annapolis, which is rather quaint. Surprised nobody has mentioned the eastern shore, which has a few quaint old towns too.
Been to the Aquarium when they have had the $1.00 days. To me only fish I want to see is on my plate. LOL

Not an Art person so can't comment on the Walters art gallery. Me I rather head over to the Block with a roll of quarters. LOL

Fells Point is pretty dead during the week during daytime hours.

O's game is OK if you like baseball and make sure to hit Boog's Bar-BQ

Annapolis too is going to be pretty dead during the week during the day.

I guess you could go to St. Michaels or for that matter Ocean City if you don't mind driving.

Hell you could head up to PA and checkout Gettysburg in a day.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again to you guys