Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ballpark Figure moving Company UK-USA

Ballpark Figure moving Company UK-USA

Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:20 pm
Soon to be Expat

gazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant future
Default Ballpark Figure moving Company UK-USA

Hi All,

I am putting together a proposal to my employer for moving from the UK to USA and i need a really tough ballpark figure for moving costs.

I will be basing it on a single container, with them packing and unpacking, everything going via boat and not air-freight.

Has anyone else done this recently who can give me a rough number?

Thanks

Gareth
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ballpark Figure moving Company UK-USA

Just look up international movers on google and get quotes.
We did that for our move here to the Philippines.
The quote included packing everything at our old house, moving to store, loading onto 20ft container, shipping, clearing other end, deliver to new property and unloading.Any good company will quote for whatever combination you want.

In practice when we told them to ship from their store it cost less than quoted as container shipping rates had gone down in the intervening 4 months.

Took 32 days from saying "ship" to arriving at our door here.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

2-10K door to door. Depends on size of container, location, if there's storage required, if there's an inspection performed on the container, amount of insurance.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

We paid 5k (pounds) with Eagle removers in Watford. That included them boxing everything in the UK, packing it into the crate, dealing with the paperwork, shipping it, bringing the crate to us and unloading the boxes into specified rooms in our house. It also included a charge for a car and a motorbike and the crates they built to store them in, but it didn't include customs and storage fees that we incurred while the car and bike were inspected.

Be really careful when you pick a shipping agent, don't go on their UK reputation only but find out who they use at the US end and make sure they are well regarded too. Eagle were great but the shipping company they used here were useless.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:46 am
Soon to be Expat

gazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant future

Ok great, gives me something to start with at least!

Thanks

Gareth
Old Feb 15th 2014, 8:40 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
We paid 5k (pounds) with Eagle removers in Watford. That included them boxing everything in the UK, packing it into the crate, dealing with the paperwork, shipping it, bringing the crate to us and unloading the boxes into specified rooms in our house. It also included a charge for a car and a motorbike and the crates they built to store them in, but it didn't include customs and storage fees that we incurred while the car and bike were inspected.

Be really careful when you pick a shipping agent, don't go on their UK reputation only but find out who they use at the US end and make sure they are well regarded too. Eagle were great but the shipping company they used here were useless.
How big was the crate? £5k isn't too far removed from the cost of a 20 ft container, depending on the location in the UK and US.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 8:42 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazzer82
Hi All,

I am putting together a proposal to my employer for moving from the UK to USA and i need a really tough ballpark figure for moving costs.

I will be basing it on a single container, with them packing and unpacking, everything going via boat and not air-freight.

Has anyone else done this recently who can give me a rough number?

Thanks

Gareth
Location can make a big difference, so it might be more accurate if you provide the UK and US locations you'd be moving to/from.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:41 pm
Soon to be Expat

Hi,

Good point, we will be moving from St Albans in Hertfordshire to north LA.

Cheers

Gareth
Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
How big was the crate? £5k isn't too far removed from the cost of a 20 ft container, depending on the location in the UK and US.
Yes, it was a 20ft. That also included insurance. Watford to Michigan. I see the OP is in St Albans - we found Eagle really good at the UK end and they were also the cheapest (they're based in Watford) but if you go with them I'd check which shipping agents they're using. We weren't too impressed with the US-side service.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 8:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazzer82
Hi,

Good point, we will be moving from St Albans in Hertfordshire to north LA.

Cheers

Gareth
Louisiana?

Or do you mean Los Angeles, CA?
Old Feb 17th 2014, 2:26 am
Soon to be Expat

Los Angeles, CA

Cheers

Gareth