British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Baking - Quick Question! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/baking-quick-question-343578/)

Englishmum Dec 19th 2005 3:41 pm

Baking - Quick Question!

My daughter arrived from London last night......and because her body clock is still on UK time she woke me up at 6am, serenading me with playing her acoustic guitar - very nice indeed but could have done with it a few hours later LOL!

She's now got the urge to cook and has been looking through my UK and Aussie cookery books....she wants to make gingerbread men and some fairy cakes.

What is 'plain' flour in the US? I know that self-raising is called 'self-rising' but is plain flour also known as 'all-purpose' flour?

Got a guilt trip now as I haven't baked for ages...... ;)

TN-Dave Dec 19th 2005 3:52 pm

Re: Baking - Quick Question!

Originally Posted by Englishmum

What is 'plain' flour in the US? I know that self-raising is called 'self-rising' but is plain flour also known as 'all-purpose' flour?

All purpose flour is the same as plain flour as we know it....... :)

britchicknyc Dec 19th 2005 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
All purpose flour is the same as plain flour as we know it....... :)

Yep - actually really hard to find self raising flour round here.

Yummy - gingerbread men sounds good!!!

TN-Dave Dec 19th 2005 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Yep - actually really hard to find self raising flour round here.

Yummy - gingerbread men sounds good!!!

we have a 'co-op. down here that sells stuff by the scoop, like some of the health food shops used to in the high streets back home.... they usually have a different types of flour including self-raising.

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 19th 2005 4:08 pm

Acoustic guitar? Homebaking? She sounds like some kind of subversive commie hippie to me. Whats wrong with some good old Christian Rock and a McDonalds? :D

Thydney Dec 19th 2005 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Acoustic guitar? Homebaking? She sounds like some kind of subversive commie hippie to me. Whats wrong with some good old Christian Rock and a McDonalds? :D

You'll need to check for 'herbs' in your ginger bread man like dude :D

Leslie Dec 19th 2005 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney
You'll need to check for 'herbs' in your ginger bread man like dude :D

Oh God I'm so hungry I could eat an aardvark's asshole. :o

TN-Dave Dec 19th 2005 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Oh God I'm so hungry I could eat an aardvark's asshole. :o

Do they have them on the Xmas menu at Ruby Tuesday's ?

Thydney Dec 19th 2005 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
Do they have them on the Xmas menu at Ruby Tuesday's ?

Yes but they're better when they are softvarks the ard ones hurt your mouth

franc11s Dec 19th 2005 8:52 pm

Yep, plain ol' all purpose.. Now, do you remember what a "scant" cup of flour is :)

Made a yorkshire pudding yesterday to go with our Lamb sunday roast (yep, lamb).. Boy, it was the best I ever made. I made it in a bread tin following a Jamoie oliver recipe I had and for the first time, the bloody think rose 6 inches (yorkies)... Bloody lovely..... piss easiest recipe ever...

clydegirl Dec 19th 2005 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s
Yep, plain ol' all purpose.. Now, do you remember what a "scant" cup of flour is :)

Made a yorkshire pudding yesterday to go with our Lamb sunday roast (yep, lamb).. Boy, it was the best I ever made. I made it in a bread tin following a Jamoie oliver recipe I had and for the first time, the bloody think rose 6 inches (yorkies)... Bloody lovely..... piss easiest recipe ever...

OK then share.I can't make yorkies to save my life.

franc11s Dec 19th 2005 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by clydegirl
OK then share.I can't make yorkies to save my life.

OK.

1 scant cup of all purpose flour (I think scant is not level)
1 and a 1/2 cups of milk (I used 2%)
3 eggs (this threw me because most call for just one)
pinch salt (optional)

lob it all in large jug or bowl and mix it all up (I didn't use an electric whisk, just a hand whisk)

Let sit for 30 mins (room temp) but I don't think that matters.

pour 1/4" to 1/2" fat in bread tin (mine was about 10" x 5" x 5").

pre-Heat oven to 475, heat fat in bread tin - till it's really hot (maybe 15-20 mins at 475).

Give a last stir to the batter. open oven door, quickly poor in batter to tin and shut door (as quick as possible).

takes about 25 mins. Don't open door unless you don't have a glass door and even then, not for at least 20 mins.

Watch the baby rise - let me know how it works for you.... Jamie lobs in sausages into the fat for the first 15 mins and then poors on the batter (for toad in the hole).

Thydney Dec 19th 2005 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s
OK.

1 scant cup of all purpose flour (I think scant is not level)
1 and a 1/2 cups of milk (I used 2%)
3 eggs (this threw me because most call for just one)
pinch salt (optional)

lob it all in large jug or bowl and mix it all up (I didn't use an electric whisk, just a hand whisk)

Let sit for 30 mins (room temp) but I don't think that matters.

pour 1/4" to 1/2" fat in bread tin (mine was about 10" x 5" x 5").

pre-Heat oven to 475, heat fat in bread tin - till it's really hot (maybe 15-20 mins at 475).

Give a last stir to the batter. open oven door, quickly poor in batter to tin and shut door (as quick as possible).

takes about 25 mins. Don't open door unless you don't have a glass door and even then, not for at least 20 mins.

Watch the baby rise - let me know how it works for you.... Jamie lobs in sausages into the fat for the first 15 mins and then poors on the batter (for toad in the hole).

Thanks Franc but I don't think splatters me wolliver can lay claim to that recipe it's the same one my Mum used and I still use.
PS the sitting for half an hour is important something to do with the protein chains in the mix

franc11s Dec 19th 2005 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney
Thanks Franc but I don't think splatters me wolliver can lay claim to that recipe it's the same one my Mum used and I still use.
PS the sitting for half an hour is important something to do with the protein chains in the mix

I hear you. I haven't seen a recipe before calling for 3 eggs though. That's what's so different. Guess him and your mum got it from the same place...

Elvira Dec 19th 2005 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Got a guilt trip now as I haven't baked for ages...... ;)

How wrong can one be!

I had always envisaged you as some latter-day Mrs Anderson, all right and proper in a pinny, keeping the home fires burning and welcoming hubby and the kiddies to a wondeful home-cooked meal every night!

:D