British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Baked Beans (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/baked-beans-305116/)

Triumphrob May 25th 2005 1:19 pm

Baked Beans

Just had Heinz Beans on toast for Breakfast. Life is good..Much prefer them over Busch beans, what do you think?
(Besides the fact I obviously have too much time on my hands)! :D

Duncan Roberts May 25th 2005 2:23 pm

Re: Baked Beans

Heinz win hands down. Especially if you add a little pepper and curry powder. Nice. They sell them in a bunch of places round here but there is no way I'm going to spend $1.79-1.99 for a tin!

Pimpbot May 25th 2005 4:11 pm

Heinz are the kings of baked beans hands down.

Dan725 May 25th 2005 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Heinz are the kings of baked beans hands down.

I agree, the US style beans are just not quite there.

Pigtails May 25th 2005 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Just had Heinz Beans on toast for Breakfast. Life is good..Much prefer them over Busch beans, what do you think?
(Besides the fact I obviously have too much time on my hands)! :D

Heinz rules!! Much better than the American "vegeterian" baked beans LOL! :D

Bob May 25th 2005 5:21 pm

Heinz is great, a dollop of butter and tabasco...yum :D but at $2.19 a can, not gonna happen all that often, and there's only one place that sells it around here...

I do kinda like the maple goop, but it's not quite the same on toast for a quick snack is it :D

Suess May 25th 2005 5:28 pm

[QUOTE=Bob]Heinz is great, a dollop of butter and tabasco...yum :D but at $2.19 a can, not gonna happen all that often, and there's only one place that sells it around here...

BEANS MEANZ HEINZ

There are NO comparisons.

I get them for $1.69 around here, and they are worth every penny to taste a little bit of home.

Sue

mandpete May 25th 2005 5:33 pm

Heinz beans were on offer for $1.19 at my local store two weeks ago so I stocked up on them. I absolutely hate american baked beans they are just too sweet and sickly.

My son loves Heinz beans on toast with cheese grated over the top and one day I made him and his US friend it for lunch. His friend tried his hardest to eat it and in the end apologised and said he usually liked baked beans but not the ones I had given him. :o

AdobePinon May 25th 2005 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by mandpete
His friend tried his hardest to eat it and in the end apologised and said he usually liked baked beans but not the ones I had given him. :o

Well, if you weren't so mean you'd have passed him the maple syrup. :p

strim May 25th 2005 6:21 pm

Heinz beans were on offer for $1.19 at my local store two weeks ago so I stocked up on them. I absolutely hate american baked beans they are just too sweet and sickly.

My son loves Heinz beans on toast with cheese grated over the top and one day I made him and his US friend it for lunch. His friend tried his hardest to eat it and in the end apologised and said he usually liked baked beans but not the ones I had given him. :o

I can't believe you wasted your Heinz beans on an American ;)

They are $1.30 here and I used to regard them as a bit of a treat, but not so much anymore. My personal favourite is beans on cheese on toast covered in HP Sauce (imported)....Delicious! :)

britvic May 25th 2005 6:24 pm

[QUOTE=Suess]

Originally Posted by Bob
Heinz is great, a dollop of butter and tabasco...yum :D but at $2.19 a can, not gonna happen all that often, and there's only one place that sells it around here...

BEANS MEANZ HEINZ

I get them for $1.69 around here, and they are worth every penny to taste a little bit of home.

Sue

What ever Base we deside to shop at Army,Navy, Air Force, we can alway's get Heinz Beans at $1.30, and I dont beleave it's because they'v all got British wife's, it would appear that some acquire the tast for them while stationed in England.

mandpete May 25th 2005 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Well, if you weren't so mean you'd have passed him the maple syrup. :p

ugh!!! I just can't bring myself to buy maple syrup it's awful but I did buy my son some pancake syrup which is just as bad. When my daughter had a sleepover here I made the girls sausage and waffles for breakfast. I couldn't believe it when they poured the pancake syrup all over their waffles AND sausages. My daughter being a true Brit ate her sausages with HP sauce and put butter on her waffles :) .

Bob May 25th 2005 7:48 pm

ugh!!! I just can't bring myself to buy maple syrup it's awful but I did buy my son some pancake syrup which is just as bad. When my daughter had a sleepover here I made the girls sausage and waffles for breakfast. I couldn't believe it when they poured the pancake syrup all over their waffles AND sausages. My daughter being a true Brit ate her sausages with HP sauce and put butter on her waffles :) .

Most maple syrup isn't actually maple syrup but flavourings in some goop...proper maple syrup is nice though, not cheap...but we're lucky and get it free :D

And maple syrup on sausages is weird, but then the sausages aren't anything to write home about either, so it doesn't matter...

paul_TX May 25th 2005 11:48 pm

[QUOTE=Suess]

Originally Posted by Bob

BEANS MEANZ HEINZ

Sue

99cents here in Kroger....so it's not just the house prices that are cheaper here (near Dallas).

Bob May 26th 2005 12:08 am

Originally Posted by paul_TX

99cents here in Kroger....so it's not just the house prices that are cheaper here (near Dallas).

you suck *lol*