British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Baggage Allowance On Delta/KLM Flights? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/baggage-allowance-delta-klm-flights-674861/)

WARPed Jul 2nd 2010 2:42 am

Baggage Allowance On Delta/KLM Flights?

I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere so hope someone with experience here might be in the know.

I'm looking to fly from Tampa to Gatwick and the cheapest results I'm getting is a one stop trip both ways via Atlanta. Options listed include the whole trip being booked as KLM flights, or, a mix of KLM (international) and Delta (internal) flights. At the end of the day all the flights will actually be on Delta planes because of the Delta/KLM "Skyteam" tie up. KLM says that to determine your allowed baggage look at your actual carriers website (Delta all the way). I've done this and Delta says the international leg allows for one free checked bag, but internal flights have a checked bag fee. They then go on to say that if your internal leg is part of an ongoing Delta journey on the same itinerary to an international destination then you get your checked bag on the internal flight for free too and the fee is waived. What is confusing me is that if my official booking is a Delta flight to ATL, and then a KLM flight (still a Delta plane) to Gatwick, will they consider me as not continuing my flight with them (Delta) and hit me with a $50 baggage charge each way on the internal leg.

I hope what I asked makes sense. Anyone know the answer or have experience of this? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

AmerLisa Jul 2nd 2010 3:07 am

Re: Baggage Allowance On Delta/KLM Flights?

My daughter flew out here on Delta (booked on KLM, MAN - SEA via JFK) and was allowed one suitcase per person (granddaughter). Even thought she was taking a domestic flight once she landed in New York, she was still allowed her baggage per KLM.

Don't know if that helps or not.

md95065 Jul 2nd 2010 3:08 am

Delta should treat a KLM code-share flight as being a "Delta" flight for these purposes regardless of which company's equipment is actually used to operate it.

Vimto Jul 2nd 2010 3:37 am

If the round trip is booked Tampa - Gatwick then the whole journey is considered as being an international trip and therefore the 1 bag free is applicable, if you book 2 separate trips Tampa - Atlanta and Atlanta - Gatwick then you will have a domestic and international portions with different baggage allowances plus you would have the hassle of having to collect your baggage in Atlanta and check in again. It may be slightly cheaper if you were to fly Airtran for example on the domestic leg but cost you much more time and effort and cause you to pay baggage fee.

md95065 Jul 2nd 2010 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Vimto (Post 8671854)
It may be slightly cheaper if you were to fly Airtran for example on the domestic leg but cost you much more time and effort and cause you to pay baggage fee.

Not to mention the fact that Airtran is "The Airline Formerly Known as ValueJet" ... :eek:

cindyabs Jul 2nd 2010 10:57 am

IF the ticket is validated on DL, ie ticket number starts with an 006 you should be good to go with their allowances.

WARPed Jul 2nd 2010 11:35 am

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I might be OK then. If I remember after the event then I'll come back and report on what actually happened.

jimandtina2008 Jul 2nd 2010 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by WARPed (Post 8671795)
I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere so hope someone with experience here might be in the know.

I'm looking to fly from Tampa to Gatwick and the cheapest results I'm getting is a one stop trip both ways via Atlanta. Options listed include the whole trip being booked as KLM flights, or, a mix of KLM (international) and Delta (internal) flights. At the end of the day all the flights will actually be on Delta planes because of the Delta/KLM "Skyteam" tie up. KLM says that to determine your allowed baggage look at your actual carriers website (Delta all the way). I've done this and Delta says the international leg allows for one free checked bag, but internal flights have a checked bag fee. They then go on to say that if your internal leg is part of an ongoing Delta journey on the same itinerary to an international destination then you get your checked bag on the internal flight for free too and the fee is waived. What is confusing me is that if my official booking is a Delta flight to ATL, and then a KLM flight (still a Delta plane) to Gatwick, will they consider me as not continuing my flight with them (Delta) and hit me with a $50 baggage charge each way on the internal leg.

I hope what I asked makes sense. Anyone know the answer or have experience of this? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Hi - I flew over with Delta on june 10th this year from Glasgow via Amsterdam to Detroit. The first flight was operated by KLM. I was allowed one free piece of luggage (up to 50lbs) my handbag and a suitcarrier (with my wedding dress) all booked through to Detroit. I also took another suitcase (max 50lbs in weight) and was charged a fee (straight through to Detroit) of 45 UKP. I DID buy a return ticket as it was cheaper than a single and was told that the fee for the second bag would be charged on check-in on my return, but again it would be for straight through to final destination.

Good luck

Tina

dinosaur Jul 2nd 2010 1:23 pm

Flew as a family KLM JFK->LHR operated by Delta couple of weeks back, returning earlier this week.

Delta at JFK for this flight was absolute shambles - I won't go into gory details, but needless to say I will avoid them in the future...

cindyabs Jul 2nd 2010 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8672685)
Flew as a family KLM JFK->LHR operated by Delta couple of weeks back, returning earlier this week.

Delta at JFK for this flight was absolute shambles - I won't go into gory details, but needless to say I will avoid them in the future...

JFK is NOT one of my favorites for international flights.

ChocolateBabz Jul 2nd 2010 2:21 pm

My folks just flew KLM (booked through Delta) Aberdeen - Amsterdam - Houston - they were allowed one checked piece of luggage (50lb), one carry on (11lb) plus a handbag/laptop case etc per Delta's terms.

On the way home they took an extra piece of luggage which cost them a flat fee of $50. P.S. had to do online check-in through Delta's website not KLM.

dinosaur Jul 2nd 2010 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 8672740)
JFK is NOT one of my favorites for international flights.

Agreed - particularly Terminal 2/3 where Delta fly from. At least BA from 7 and Virgin from 4 are not quite as dated, although no less crowded. And no-where else is really very convenient for SW CT.

Another warning regarding Delta...their on-line check-in for international flights (which you use even if you're KLM ticketed) only seems to handle 3 people at a time. If you have a group of four, you have to go through twice, and need to re-enter the TSA data (passport info etc) for the first 3 people twice...painful. I thought I had made an error on the outbound flight, but on the return was very careful and experienced the same issue....

Jerseygirl Jul 2nd 2010 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 8672812)
My folks just flew KLM (booked through Delta) Aberdeen - Amsterdam - Houston - they were allowed one checked piece of luggage (50lb), one carry on (11lb) plus a handbag/laptop case etc per Delta's terms.

On the way home they took an extra piece of luggage which cost them a flat fee of $50. P.S. had to do online check-in through Delta's website not KLM.

It's the internal connection flights in the US where the problem arises. Internal flights don't allow as much luggage (weight) as international flights do. Although from what's been said if it's been booked as one travel they should be allowed he international allowance.

Rete Jul 3rd 2010 12:28 am

Do NOT use Delta. There is no allowance. You pay $25 for each bag checked. I just had my second flight with them and it was the second foul-up and second cancelled flight with no information or guidance whatsoever. I wound up spending the night in Memphis.

However since you are initially flying KLM with a connecting flight on Delta in the US, there should be no charge. The bag will go from plane to plane.

GeoffM Jul 3rd 2010 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8673777)
It's the internal connection flights in the US where the problem arises. Internal flights don't allow as much luggage (weight) as international flights do. Although from what's been said if it's been booked as one travel they should be allowed he international allowance.

Generally I agree with what's been said before, about not being charged on the domestic leg if the same bag is "free" on the international leg (on the same ticket), but not having experience of KLM/Delta internationally, I didn't want to stick my oar in.

But I will anyway. American Airlines, international-domestic and then domestic-international, both via ORD (not that that's relevant, but anyway). In both cases the bags were "free" on the domestic legs, with the same weight restrictions as the international legs. It took a little convincing the self check-in machines at MCO for some reason, and I had to be a little creative in answering one of the security questions the machine asked me (a question not appropriate to a 2-year-old). But I explained that at the bag drop counter and she just waved it off, ignore it she said. Had I not done that it was a 1hr+ wait for standard check-in - lots of LatAms with tons of baggage each.