Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bad time to be a Brit in America?

Bad time to be a Brit in America?

Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:22 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Tolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad time to be a Brit in America?

Originally Posted by Boiler
How would you have felt if they had stopped you and let every "terrorist looking" person travelling on your flight through?

Would you have been quite happy sitting on the plane?
I say search everybody or nobody. Random "lottery" style searching based on suspicious opinions is useless.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tolos
Random "lottery" style searching based on suspicious opinions is useless.
I think everybody would agree with that, but not the question.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:00 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Tolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond repute

I think everybody would agree with that, but not the question.
What question?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

What question?
Most effective way of maximising security with limited resources.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:12 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

I say search everybody or nobody. Random "lottery" style searching based on suspicious opinions is useless.

Doesnt it come down to resources? I dont think "they" have the time or manpower to search every single person, so they have to take a lucky guess. I got searched twice when I passed through Heathrow on my own with a one way ticket and no checked baggage. I accepted it and jumped the queue.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:13 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Most effective way of maximising security with limited resources.
Maybe there isn't a way. As bad as it sounds, how can they prevent it? If we search all muslims, then they'll make the next terrorist a white guy. Even if they made the rules that every passenger has to board naked with no baggage (as we joked about recently), suicide bombers will probably develop a way to use their bodies as weapons (swallowing a bomb or something insane). Terrorists could easily put things in the cargo hold, pose as staff, interfere with a plane...I don't know what the answer is.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Maybe there isn't a way. As bad as it sounds, how can they prevent it? If we search all muslims, then they'll make the next terrorist a white guy. Even if they made the rules that every passenger has to board naked with no baggage (as we joked about recently), suicide bombers will probably develop a way to use their bodies as weapons (swallowing a bomb or something insane). Terrorists could easily put things in the cargo hold, pose as staff, interfere with a plane...I don't know what the answer is.
There are many ways and many factors, one factor may be significant by itself, other factors may in aggregation.

PC should not be a factor, from reports I have heard it is in the US.

I appreciate that no system is fully secure, I am flying next week and back to UK in a couple of months. Quite prepared to take my chances, BUT I would feel happier if I thought that the resources being used and the personal hassle meant something.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:33 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Random "lottery" style searching based on suspicious opinions is useless.

Seem to remember from our stats classes (a couple of decades ago! ) that a representative sample usually gave a more accurate result than a 100% 'sample'. Something to do with burnout of the interviewers/samplers etc, and consequent introduction of errors if you looked at every 'thing'.
Thing is, if the question is whether your dog prefers winalot or pedigree chum, thats probably reasonable, and it aint the end of the world if a couple of errors slip thru. If its whether you're gonna blow up a plane or not, its a different matter................