Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bad time to be a Brit in America?

Bad time to be a Brit in America?

Old Aug 11th 2006, 4:35 pm
Banned

Married2aYank is a name known to allMarried2aYank is a name known to allMarried2aYank is a name known to allMarried2aYank is a name known to allMarried2aYank is a name known to allMarried2aYank is a name known to allMarried2aYank is a name known to allMarried2aYank is a name known to allMarried2aYank is a name known to allMarried2aYank is a name known to allMarried2aYank is a name known to all
Default Bad time to be a Brit in America?

I was wondering if anyone thinks that in light of these terrorist threats coming from England, and of course the idiots who are doing it being English, is going to cast all Brits in a bad light in the USA? I dont want to be viewed as a suspicious outsider over here and be subject to harsher treatment from whoever just because I have a thick accent like the Muslims they broadcasted in their suicide videos on TV last night.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 4:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad time to be a Brit in America?

I'd say it would largely depend on where you were in the US, muppets are muppets like anywhere else in the world, but generally, I don't think it's a problem...
Old Aug 11th 2006, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Married2aYank
I was wondering if anyone thinks that in light of these terrorist threats coming from England, and of course the idiots who are doing it being English, is going to cast all Brits in a bad light in the USA? I dont want to be viewed as a suspicious outsider over here and be subject to harsher treatment from whoever just because I have a thick accent like the Muslims they broadcasted in their suicide videos on TV last night.
No, well they would have to be some bloody thick twat's, yes we all come across them from time to time. We are in it as much as the Yanks, and if I ever come across that sort of attitude, I would blow my top
Old Aug 11th 2006, 5:00 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Hell no! The majority of Americans aren't affected by it unless it happened on home turf.
The only people that are going to get a rougher deal of it, IMHO are the average everyday British Muslims.
Or basically anyone with a British accent and brown skin.

I wish a lot of these fundamentalists would realise that they're inadvertently making life for their own people in western countries a lot harder than it needs to be. People feel a helluva lot more justified in being racist when events like these occur.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

hiya and welcome.....nope if anything it's the other way around and anyway they love us coz of our 'posh' accent
Old Aug 11th 2006, 5:10 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Hell no! The majority of Americans aren't affected by it unless it happened on home turf.
The only people that are going to get a rougher deal of it, IMHO are the average everyday British Muslims.
Or basically anyone with a British accent and brown skin.

I wish a lot of these fundamentalists would realise that they're inadvertently making life for their own people in western countries a lot harder than it needs to be. People feel a helluva lot more justified in being racist when events like these occur.
They do realise. it makes for more disgruntled people, more recruits.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 5:39 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

The general concensus here at work and people I have spoken to is they realize the threat is not from the UK, but from Islamic fundamentalists. Most people congratualted Scotland Yard on thwarting the attackers. The UK suffered at the hands of the same fundementalist groups on July 7th.
No bad feelings towards Brits here, just a shared loathing of terrorism.

Old Aug 11th 2006, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess my first thought was why would it.

The only comments I can think of were from people who ackowledged the problems in the UK.

I just can not imagine anybody in the US making a negative comment, a sympathetic one yes.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 5:52 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hiya and welcome.....nope if anything it's the other way around and anyway they love us coz of our 'posh' accent

true!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 6:01 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same exact way when I travel abroad and get painted with the "All-Americans-are-alike" brush!

~ Jenney
Old Aug 11th 2006, 6:04 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Dont think it would make any difference.

We were at Seaworld last weekend, and before the Shamu show, they did an "honour our heroes" bit where they asked any serving members of the armed forces of "the USA, the UK and any other allies" to stand up and everybody clapped. I thought it was interesting (and rather nice!) that they specifically included the UK forces .
Old Aug 11th 2006, 6:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
Most people congratualted Scotland Yard on thwarting the attackers. .
Should really have been ...the SIS and GCHQ
Old Aug 11th 2006, 6:12 pm

Most of the comments we have been following here are from Peter Clarke, the head of Scotland Yard's anti-terrorist branch, maybe hence the confusion

Originally Posted by Ray
Should really have been ...the SIS and GCHQ
Old Aug 11th 2006, 6:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
Most of the comments we have been following here are from Peter Clarke, the head of Scotland Yard's anti-terrorist branch, maybe hence the confusion
SO13 ..the face ... of course ..the others never comment .. just stay in the background .. same everywhere .....

http://www.gchq.gov.uk/
Old Aug 11th 2006, 6:36 pm

I wonder how the allocation of resources will change with the sudden rise in 'home grown' terrorists?

Current MI5 resources:

Originally Posted by Ray
SO13 ..the face ... of course ..the others never comment .. just stay in the background .. same everywhere .....

http://www.gchq.gov.uk/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.