Bad news

Old May 12th 2005, 4:33 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad news

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Thanks for the generalization -- NOT.

I guess Britons NEVER resort to physical violence, never kill anybody, never have domestic disputes?

The first part of your post was fine... The second part, uncalled for.

~ Jenney
it seems to be very rare in the uk to loose your life to domestic violence.
in america it seems to be pretty common.
Old May 12th 2005, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
it seems to be very rare in the uk to loose your life to domestic violence.
in america it seems to be pretty common.
i know over here you may get a bit of hassle ie your suits cut up or prawns behind your sofa
over there they shoot you!
ah well....
Old May 12th 2005, 4:40 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
i know over here you may get a bit of hassle ie your suits cut up or prawns behind your sofa
ah well....
a bullet is cheaper then a divorce i guess
Old May 12th 2005, 4:43 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

prawns behind your sofa
is this from personal experience?
Old May 12th 2005, 5:57 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I guess Britons NEVER resort to physical violence, never kill anybody, never have domestic disputes?
Stella ain't called wife-beating beer for nothing.

On the other hand, there seems to be far, far less machoism about affairs and divorces. I've seen some pretty bitter and vengeful actions, but no murders. Yet on the OTHER hand, handguns are much, much harder to get and it takes much more planning to carry out such a deed.

In fact, premeditation is considered key in sentencing for murders in the US. Let's say the murderer claimed he was provoked by the boyfriend, and happened to be legally carrying a gun. It would have been his word against a dead man's, and so long as the murderer had owned and carried the gun for some period of time, it would not have been considered premeditated.

Go figure.

What's really horrifying is that this shit happens to *women* all the time -- they're usually the ones the ex-spouse/boyfriend goes after -- and no one seems to care nearly as much. But let a man go after a woman, or God forbid, a woman do a Lorena Bobbitt and it's front page news. Why?
Old May 12th 2005, 6:07 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Court records showed that Estrada had been charged in January with violating a domestic violence protective order, but that the case was dismissed last week.
Must applaud the court system for that one. Well played.
Old May 12th 2005, 6:09 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Box
If someone wants you dead, there's no restraining order that's worth the paper it's printed on. Full riot gear and an automatic machine gun is the only thing that works -- ask the military.
Old May 12th 2005, 6:18 pm
staying around

Originally Posted by James Box
restraining orders give people a false sense of security.
Old May 12th 2005, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

ah well....
Anyone who thinks that it doesn't happen in the UK is very naive indeed.
Apparently 2 women a week die in the UK as a result of domestic violence. Stabbing seems to be the method in a lot of cases.

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
Old May 13th 2005, 1:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I for one don't keep my doors locked, especially when we are home. .....
Uh? Why on earth not? I always lock the door, at least the "twist lock" on the handle, whether I am inside, or if I am going far enough away from the door (outside) that I can't see it for more than, say, one minute. If I am going out to work in the yard (mow, tend the vegetables, etc) then I lock the dead-bolt too. Where do I live? .... leafy suburbia.

Originally Posted by dbark
.... but we don't know whether he still has a key, ......
Er, why haven't you changed the locks? American locks all seem to be interchangeable - all you need to buy is the handle and key mechanism, then switch it out leaving the bolt mechaism and end plates in place. It will cost you as little as $30, and, so log as you know the right end of a screw driver, take you about fifteen minutes.
Old May 13th 2005, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the generalization -- NOT.

The first part of your post was fine... The second part, uncalled for.

~ Jenney

America is a more violent society than the UK, whether you like that fact or not, guns are widespread over here and whilst I agree guns don't kill people, people kill people etc... Sadly the wrong people seem to get guns.
Old May 14th 2005, 11:56 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Uh? Why on earth not? I always lock the door, at least the "twist lock" on the handle, whether I am inside, or if I am going far enough away from the door (outside) that I can't see it for more than, say, one minute. If I am going out to work in the yard (mow, tend the vegetables, etc) then I lock the dead-bolt too. Where do I live? .... leafy suburbia.
I'm living in a small town (c.10K people). I know things can happen, I just don't want to live in fear all the time. I lived in inner London for 24 years and have relaxed back on some of the measures I used to use there, such as not leaving my car unlocked for a moment to pop back into my house for something, and always holding my handbag tightly to my body when in shops, streets etc. I was the victim of crimes there - mostly car crime. However, here things are somewhat different. Here I can leave planters on my porch and not have them stolen. The landscapers working in my yard leave their machinery by the road overnight and it's still there in the morning. Here I have not had my car forced open to steal my radio. I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm saying I'm not going to live every minute of every day in fear. Neither do I believe I've pissed anyone off enough to be in fear of attack.

Er, why haven't you changed the locks? American locks all seem to be interchangeable - all you need to buy is the handle and key mechanism, then switch it out leaving the bolt mechaism and end plates in place. It will cost you as little as $30, and, so log as you know the right end of a screw driver, take you about fifteen minutes.
Good point, Pulaski. If I was in the situation these people were in, changing the locks would be something I would do.
Old May 14th 2005, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

He was shot on the porch the first time though, then dragged inside and shot again
Old May 15th 2005, 3:08 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Bad news

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4534435.stm

I hoping it's no one we know.
What I'd like to know is if the ex-husband had the firearm legally and if that was the case why he was "allowed" to retain the weapon after "violating a domestic violence protective order" (taken from the BBC article)?

This is one of the problems about firearms ownership in the US. At the time of purchase, the individual may be an upstanding citizen but what about keeping check on his/her behaviors and propensity for violence (excluding life threatening self defence) after legally obtaining a deadly weapon?

NC Penguin
Old May 15th 2005, 4:03 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
On the other hand, there seems to be far, far less machoism about affairs and divorces [in Britain]. I've seen some pretty bitter and vengeful actions, but no murders. Yet on the OTHER hand, handguns are much, much harder to get and it takes much more planning to carry out such a deed.
My point is that the Brownin's comment implies that ALL Americans are as violent as this murderer, and I object to that generalization.

What if instead of saying, "Thats just crazy... Americans!" Brownin had instead said, "Thats just crazy... Men!" or "Thats just crazy... Hispanics!" (By his surname I'm assuming the murderer was Hispanic.)

Men are prone to violence more than women, but not ALL men are violent. A significant number of murders are done by Hispanics, but not ALL Hispanics are murderers. Do you see where I'm going with this?

As I said before, the first part of the comment -- "That's just crazy" -- is totally fine; in fact, I agree. It's the second part I object to. I don't appreciate being lumped into a gross generalization about murderers just because of my nationality, thank you very much.

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.