British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bad news (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bad-news-302131/)

anotherlimey May 10th 2005 9:47 pm

Bad news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4534435.stm

I hoping it's no one we know.http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/i...lies/frown.gif

tony126 May 10th 2005 10:25 pm

Re: Bad news

Obviously did not think it necessary to protect himself. From what I read if I was in that situation I would have taken certain precautions which may or may not have avoided this.

snowbunny May 10th 2005 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
Obviously did not think it necessary to protect himself. From what I read if I was in that situation I would have taken certain precautions which may or may not have avoided this.

Sometimes it's very hard to know.....

My ex-husband says "take my ex-wife.... please...." ;)

rincewind May 11th 2005 2:44 am

Obviously did not think it necessary to protect himself.

That's a bit harsh from you Tony. Surprises me.

I would be more curious to know if he was a member here or if we members can provide any assistance to the family.

To learn that a Brit has been shot in NC is shocking indeed.

KarnalEcho May 11th 2005 2:54 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

That's horrible!!!

tony126 May 11th 2005 3:38 am

Originally Posted by rincewind
That's a bit harsh from you Tony. Surprises me.

I would be more curious to know if he was a member here or if we members can provide any assistance to the family.

To learn that a Brit has been shot in NC is shocking indeed.

Did not mean to sound that harsh really but I know I would not have put myself in that position no matter what. From what I read it seems as though the red flag was raised. Like you I do feel sorry that someone has lost their life.

Maz May 11th 2005 3:58 am

Did not mean to sound that harsh really but I know I would not have put myself in that position no matter what. From what I read it seems as though the red flag was raised. Like you I do feel sorry that someone has lost their life.

I'm going to have to disagree with you, Tony. I think while you can know that someone is a bit unstable, you can very rarely tell if or when they're going to snap. And people get divorced, get restraining orders and date other people all the time without getting murdered by your new love's ex. :(

Tragic.

ScousePete May 11th 2005 10:17 am

Christ! I used to live in Charlotte. Not generally the kind of thing you would expect there, the locals are generally very kind and always polite. Still, this kind of thing could happen anywhere.

Pulaski May 12th 2005 1:56 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
..... I hope it's no one we know.

Well, thankfully (from my perspective at least) it wasn't me, and it isn't anyone I know either. ..... Still, it's grim news, nobody deserves to die like that, shot like a dog.

ImHere May 12th 2005 2:05 am

No-one I think I know but Barrow-on-Humber was literaly across the Humber from where I used to live so you never know.

dbark May 12th 2005 10:06 am

Tony, I have to ask what precautions you would have taken? Many people who post on BE, including, but not limited to, myself - are married to or live with people who have ex-spouses. However, no-one can predict the actions of someone in that way. Are you referring to keeping a gun? Even if you have a gun (hello, Ray!), which we do not, would you be prepared to use it? Where would you have it stashed so that it is safe but available when needed? I personally would not want to have one.

However, you may be referring to taking other precautions, such as not opening the door to the ex, but we don't know whether he still has a key, or came around the back etc - I for one don't keep my doors locked, especially when we are home.

I think it's just one of those unforseeable incidents, very sad for Lee Scott Carter's friends and family.

brownin May 12th 2005 11:04 am

Thats just crazy...

Americans! :eek:

tony126 May 12th 2005 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by dbark
Tony, I have to ask what precautions you would have taken? Many people who post on BE, including, but not limited to, myself - are married to or live with people who have ex-spouses. However, no-one can predict the actions of someone in that way. Are you referring to keeping a gun? Even if you have a gun (hello, Ray!), which we do not, would you be prepared to use it? Where would you have it stashed so that it is safe but available when needed? I personally would not want to have one.

However, you may be referring to taking other precautions, such as not opening the door to the ex, but we don't know whether he still has a key, or came around the back etc - I for one don't keep my doors locked, especially when we are home.

I think it's just one of those unforseeable incidents, very sad for Lee Scott Carter's friends and family.

As has been said I would not normally expect this sort of situation to happen especially if it was in the UK where guns are prohibited(?). Here in the USA unfortunately things are different. It is a gun society. If it was me that was involved then the estranged husbands behavior would have put me on my guard. Yes I do have a gun and would have used it if I was able to but I can only go by what was reported, which is not the full story so I do not know if I would have been able to.
If bad guys want to get a gun it is easy just look at what is going on in the UK. Again a tragedy which has ruined 3 lives to which I am sorry.

tony126 May 12th 2005 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by dbark

I for one don't keep my doors locked, especially when we are home.

I certainly would recommend you should not leave your doors un-locked. I am sure the police would advise you also. I never used to when I was in the UK for a long period of time but situations and peoples behaviour has now led me to throwing the catch on doors. The " it could not happen to me thought" is not in my book of rules as the unfortunate death has shown. Who would have thought it possible---but it was.

Just Jenney May 12th 2005 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by brownin
Thats just crazy...

Americans! :eek:

Thanks for the generalization -- NOT.

I guess Britons NEVER resort to physical violence, never kill anybody, never have domestic disputes?

The first part of your post was fine... The second part, uncalled for.

~ Jenney