Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BACS equivalent bank transfers in US

BACS equivalent bank transfers in US

Old Oct 1st 2011, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

drcharris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BACS equivalent bank transfers in US

Just moved to New York and would like to find a bank account in the US that allows me to do the equivalent of the painless BACS system I've been enjoying with my UK banking for the last 10+ years.

Basically, I want to be able to take someone's account number and routing number (sort-code equivalent here), and put some money into their account via online banking. It's fine if it takes a few days - I don't need instant wire transfer with hefty fees. This is for US to US transfers - not international, no FX involved.

I've seen some stuff from e.g. ING Direct that gets close, but it still requires the other party to respond to a mail, type in their details etc. I'd like a seamless money transfer service with no other steps required. Looks like ACH is the *mechanism* but no-one seems to offer this ability.

All the facilities I've seen for easy transfers are to accounts owned by the same person but in other institutions.

Am I missing something obvious? Is this as rare as I think it is? Does anyone have an account that does this now?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BACS equivalent bank transfers in US

Originally Posted by drcharris
Just moved to New York and would like to find a bank account in the US that allows me to do the equivalent of the painless BACS system I've been enjoying with my UK banking for the last 10+ years.

Basically, I want to be able to take someone's account number and routing number (sort-code equivalent here), and put some money into their account via online banking. It's fine if it takes a few days - I don't need instant wire transfer with hefty fees. This is for US to US transfers - not international, no FX involved.

I've seen some stuff from e.g. ING Direct that gets close, but it still requires the other party to respond to a mail, type in their details etc. I'd like a seamless money transfer service with no other steps required. Looks like ACH is the *mechanism* but no-one seems to offer this ability.

All the facilities I've seen for easy transfers are to accounts owned by the same person but in other institutions.

Am I missing something obvious? Is this as rare as I think it is? Does anyone have an account that does this now?
Chase offers this service, but a lot of times if it's to an out of state or smaller bank what happens is your bank msils a check drawn on your account to the recipient (seriously!). Having said that, from your point of view the setup is similar to setting up an SO/DD in the UK. If it's to another Chase customer or a customer of one of tge other big banks like BoA, Citi or Wells Fargo then it is truly electronic I believe.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rpjs
Chase offers this service, but a lot of times if it's to an out of state or smaller bank what happens is your bank msils a check drawn on your account to the recipient (seriously!). Having said that, from your point of view the setup is similar to setting up an SO/DD in the UK. If it's to another Chase customer or a customer of one of tge other big banks like BoA, Citi or Wells Fargo then it is truly electronic I believe.
Thanks, I will check Chase out. My particular need is to pay my rent direct to my landlord, which is into a BofA account.

I'm aware of the online "Bill Pay" features most banks offer, and my current bank does that - and yes I understand it's actually a good service because they will mail checks out for you where electronic means don't exist. But this is for a straight person-to-person transfer and I don't want the other guy to have to jump through hoops to get his money - hence the "BACS-equivalent" request.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I will check Chase out. My particular need is to pay my rent direct to my landlord, which is into a BofA account.
While I wouldn't recommend Bank of America to anyone they do have quite a reasonable online banking system and it is extremely easy to make instantaneous (and free) transfers to another Bank of America account (not just other accounts that you own - any account). Transfers to accounts held at other banks take longer and have some fees associated with them.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC does bank to bank transfers. Though you have to do some test deposits of like 30c to activate it.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

All you need is the bank account number and routing number to put money into someones account, so any online banking service should be able to do it.

Some will be easier than others and/or cheap/free.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

So I actually have an HSBC Premier account, which is great for moving money to and from the UK.

Their "bank-to-bank" facility is only for accounts that you own with other institutions, not third parties. I asked Customer Services about it, and got this response:

"The option to set up an Automated Clearing House (ACH) payment to a
third's parties account is unavailable."

Guess I'm looking to open another account then :-)
Old Oct 1st 2011, 7:10 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
While I wouldn't recommend Bank of America to anyone they do have quite a reasonable online banking system and it is extremely easy to make instantaneous (and free) transfers to another Bank of America account (not just other accounts that you own - any account). Transfers to accounts held at other banks take longer and have some fees associated with them.
Plus the fact that they're about to charge $5 a month for the previlege of having a debit card!! Time to change.....

I think that any bank that has the 'Bill Pay' service will do this. Looking at TD Bank at the moment who are also in NY.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

So I actually have an HSBC Premier account, which is great for moving money to and from the UK.

Their "bank-to-bank" facility is only for accounts that you own with other institutions, not third parties. I asked Customer Services about it, and got this response:

"The option to set up an Automated Clearing House (ACH) payment to a
third's parties account is unavailable."

Guess I'm looking to open another account then :-)
Doh, you're right. I only use it to transfer to my own accounts at other banks.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Plus the fact that they're [BoA] about to charge $5 a month for the previlege of having a debit card!!
They'll get your money one way or another - but this is taking the urine somewhat!
Old Oct 1st 2011, 9:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
They'll get your money one way or another - but this is taking the urine somewhat!
They're phasing it in over a period of time from the new year. A few other banks are doing the same.

It's the boo hoo story of them not being able to charge as much of a service charge percentage to the merchant for you using a debit card, so they're getting it directly from you...cheeky sods.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They're phasing it in over a period of time from the new year. A few other banks are doing the same.

It's the boo hoo story of them not being able to charge as much of a service charge percentage to the merchant for you using a debit card, so they're getting it directly from you...cheeky sods.
Over here (ok, it's not the US) the merchants are complaining that's it's costing even more of a bomb to allow use of debit cards (and more so, credit cards, and even more so AMEX)! I don't mind fair charges (20p), eg for using non-bank ATMs, but not, for example taking it to the extreme, Ryanair charging £8 per person per sector per ticket per fart per phase of the moon and any day ending in a Y to use anything but their own credit card.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:03 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Citibank Private Bank account that allows free wire transfers, which is somewhat similar. The only problem is for some people their bank charges a fee for receiving a wire.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Easiest way is to find a bank that does free wire transfers. If you look at your local offerings you should find one that does that service. Welcome to the US banking system.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Antmakka is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just done this from Nationwide to my Credit Union. The process is called SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunications). I just went on my banks website and followed the links, filled out the form and it takes a few business days (at least it would have if I'd given them my Credit Union account number ) They charged me £25. Simples

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.