Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Backpacking Advice

Backpacking Advice

Old Jan 12th 2016, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Backpacking Advice

My 19 year old (on L2 visa, GC application being prepared) is a freshman at a local university. He'll be going back to the UK in September to take up his deferred place at Durham.

He finishes at uni here at the beginning of May and is looking to have 8-10 weeks backpacking around the US before flying back to England.

He's not a great planner. Any suggestions for websites, Facebook pages/groups, forums etc where he can do some research? Anyone got kids who did a similar thing?

Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2016, 9:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Backpacking Advice

Originally Posted by loubiblu
My 19 year old (on L2 visa, GC application being prepared) is a freshman at a local university. He'll be going back to the UK in September to take up his deferred place at Durham.

He finishes at uni here at the beginning of May and is looking to have 8-10 weeks backpacking around the US before flying back to England.

He's not a great planner. Any suggestions for websites, Facebook pages/groups, forums etc where he can do some research? Anyone got kids who did a similar thing?

Thanks
He will need to apply for a re-entry permit before he leaves the US.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/aft...anent-resident
Old Jan 12th 2016, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend an organized backpacking trip especially if he is traveling alone. My daughter went to New Zealand on her own a couple of years ago and did what I can only describe as a backpacking bus tour. She did the same last year when she went out west (California, Nevada, Arizona). This is the company she used on that trip:

Green Tortoise - Adventure Travel and Hostels

She met up with other backpackers. The bus tours are usually done in a loop with people hopping on and off at various points so you get to meet different people. Most will involve activities such as camping (although some nights are spent in hostels), hiking, kayaking, etc. My daughter did a sky dive in New Zealand - that was an option on her organized trip.

Some backpackers include these organized trips in an overall itinerary that also involves some backpacking of their own either alone or in groups. Some will meet others on the organized trips and then go backpacking with their new friends after the organized trip finishes.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 12th 2016 at 9:32 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
He will need to apply for a re-entry permit before he leaves the US.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/aft...anent-resident
Thanks Jerseygirl, the lawyers did mention this.

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I would recommend an organized backpacking trip especially if he is traveling alone. My daughter went to New Zealand on her own a couple of years ago and did what I can only describe as a backpacking bus tour. She did the same last year when she went out west (California, Nevada, Arizona). This is the company she used on that trip:

Green Tortoise - Adventure Travel and Hostels

She met up with other backpackers. The bus tours are usually done in a loop with people hopping on and off at various points so you get to meet different people. Most will involve activities such as camping (although some nights are spent in hostels), hiking, kayaking, etc. My daughter did a sky dive in New Zealand - that was an option on her organized trip.

Some backpackers include these organized trips in an overall itinerary that also involves some backpacking of their own either alone or in groups. Some will meet others on the organized trips and then go backpacking with their new friends after the organized trip finishes.
That sounds great and perfect for his personality. I'll pass the link on to him and let him start researching.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 9:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

He will need to apply for a re-entry permit before he leaves the US. .....
But he's not a permanent resident yet. Surely the reentry permit is only applicable after he gets his green card.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But he's not a permanent resident yet. Surely the reentry permit is only applicable after he gets his green card.
Yep, his L2 is valid until the day before his 21st birthday. The company is supporting an EB1 GC (husband is on L1-A and is President/Global CEO of company). Lawyers are optimistic. We knew coming into this that there was a possibility that our son would age out before the process completes.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

indigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Many moons ago (2001) I backpacked around the USA. My friend and I did the amtrak pass (https://www.amtrak.com/take-the-trai...-usa-rail-pass ) which gives you unlimited travel on Amtrak trains. We saw a LOT of the country. The trains were clean and nice. We DIDNT plan ahead in terms of accommodation though. We Ended up sleeping in the train station in Boston lol. Good times and a fantastic trip. I'd recommend the train pass to him. It's a great way to see the country. Our stops were Syracuse NY, new york NY washington DC, some where in South Carolina, New Orleans LA, Memphis, TN, Chicago Il and back to New york...all in 15 days! They have a 15, 30 or 45 day options.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 10:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know but it sounds like the process is underway and he probably won't have to be in the UK until late August. Anyway...the OP has stated that their lawyers have already mentioned it. or should that be .

Old Jan 12th 2016, 10:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..?? or should that be .....
My lawyers will be in touch concerning your flagrant infringement of my trademark.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 12th 2016 at 11:52 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 11:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

My lawyers will be in touch concerning your flagrant infringement of my trademark.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 12th 2019 at 10:56 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Trek America Trek America | USA Tours | The Best Way to Travel America

I did a few of their west coast national park tours when I lived in the UK and came over here on holiday. A good way to see a bunch of parks and have someone else do the organizing.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 5:25 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

"On that trip it was my good fortune to be wrong; being mistaken is the essence of the traveler's tale." - Paul Theroux.

I've always preferred to pick a direction then see where it takes me, to anything with a semblance of organization. But one of the suggested train passes could probably provide a comfortable middle ground.