Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Backlash Begins

Backlash Begins

Old Jul 9th 2005, 5:39 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Backlash Begins

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I know I've seen mention of this several times ...it makes me soooo mad I love PBS!

Bush and his conservatives are truely absurd ...I was watching were they wouldn't air a kids show that showed a cartoon charater joining a family to make breakfast....it was a two mom family...apparently airring the show would make all of America's innocent children gay....these people are unbelievable! and most of them are in positions of power

and watch your insults about Wales gruff or I'll string you up by your short and curlies
This, of course, was the argument that leftist politicians (and left-leaning sites like Common Dreams) are putting forward: "Bush is trying to kill Big Bird". Seseme Street and the like is not the target of the study and was never mentioned.

PBS is certainly not very biased in most cases, I love Frontline, News Hour and many other shows. But some PBS "news" shows (like the mentioned Bill Moyers show or the Tavis Smiley show) seem to me to be just as blantant pieces of propaganda as anything on Fox.

NPR is even worse. Fresh Air, On the Media, Morning Edition, All Things Considered etc...they all seem extremely biased to the left to me and I'd find it hard to believe if most people couldn't sense it. I vote Democrat and I still find myself screaming at the radio in my car on the way into work because of some blatant falacy or opinion being passed off as fact. This happens every single day at least twice (I need to calm down a little, methinks.)

Here's the difference: Fox News is a private company, they don't receive any funding from the government. PBS and NPR are both funded by the government (also by private donations). It's actually in PBS and NPR's charters that they not show political bias one way or the other. That's where these complaints come from. I think it's reasonable to be angry if a government supported broadcaster is seen as acting as a mouthpiece for one party or another.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 5:51 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
This, of course, was the argument that leftist politicians (and left-leaning sites like Common Dreams) are putting forward: "Bush is trying to kill Big Bird". Seseme Street and the like is not the target of the study and was never mentioned.

PBS is certainly not very biased in most cases, I love Frontline, News Hour and many other shows. But some PBS "news" shows (like the mentioned Bill Moyers show or the Tavis Smiley show) seem to me to be just as blantant pieces of propaganda as anything on Fox.

NPR is even worse. Fresh Air, On the Media, Morning Edition, All Things Considered etc...they all seem extremely biased to the left to me and I'd find it hard to believe if most people couldn't sense it. I vote Democrat and I still find myself screaming at the radio in my car on the way into work because of some blatant falacy or opinion being passed off as fact. This happens every single day at least twice (I need to calm down a little, methinks.)

Here's the difference: Fox News is a private company, they don't receive any funding from the government. PBS and NPR are both funded by the government (also by private donations). It's actually in PBS and NPR's charters that they not show political bias one way or the other. That's where these complaints come from. I think it's reasonable to be angry if a government supported broadcaster is seen as acting as a mouthpiece for one party or another.
So in conclusion, there is left wing bias in some media, and right wing bias in other media. Many people on the Left deny that there's a left wing bias bias, just as many people on the Right deny that there is a right wing bias. No network is totally balanced and it's up to the individual what they want to believe.

So getting back on topic, is there any more information on whether the fire at the mosque in Leeds was arson or simply an accidental fire?
Old Jul 9th 2005, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbickle
So in conclusion, there is left wing bias in some media, and right wing bias in other media. Many people on the Left deny that there's a left wing bias bias, just as many people on the Right deny that there is a right wing bias. No network is totally balanced and it's up to the individual what they want to believe.
In a nutshell.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 5:55 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

So getting back on topic, is there any more information on whether the fire at the mosque in Leeds was arson or simply an accidental fire?
This is what the BBC has to say on the matter:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4665345.stm
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:09 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

So do you think Fox News should drop their "Fair and Balanced" slogan?
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:17 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Ever read Al Franken's "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right"? The title cracks me up every time
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:17 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong

FTR, I love Wales and all things Welsh. Except Anne Robinson who is a pure, unadulterated bitch.

I especially like Betws-y-Coed. And...erm..... errrrr...... that's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure more will come to me
Catherine Zeta-Jones has nice tits and a beautiful ass too
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Political analysis at its best.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:24 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Political analysis at its best.
Anal-ysis phnoaw phnaow
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:25 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I never said that they were fair and balanced, we both know that is not the case.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

it's up to the individual what they want to believe.

This is always the motto in this country, at least. But relativism doesn't always cut the mustard.

Some things are true, other are not. Some things are facts, others are inventions.

And as for the left/right thing, there is an odd idea about that the truth is always somewhere in the middle. Not the case.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:40 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I never said that they were fair and balanced, we both know that is not the case.
I know you didn't say it, but they do, all the time - it's on the banner of their website, for example. I'll ask again, since you admit they have a right wing bias, do you think they should drop the slogan "Fair and Balanced", if it isn't true?
Old Jul 9th 2005, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you who love Bill as much as I do A cartoon using some of his comments from the last few days.

Sweet Jesus I Hate Bill O'Reilly
Old Jul 9th 2005, 7:36 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart

But are they fair and balanced............
Old Jul 9th 2005, 7:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by krizzy
But are they fair and balanced............
Well they don't see 'The Sun' too much ha ha boom boom............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.