Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Background Checks for Employment

Background Checks for Employment

Old Sep 3rd 2010, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of
Default Background Checks for Employment

Hi guys,

I have been offered a position pending my background check. Apparently it came back 'requiring further review' and I already had one come back for another company saying my SSN is invalid. I know this is because it's new as I only got my GC a month ago.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? I am worried, not sure why because I have no criminal convictions, never been arrested. I have a lot of debt back in the UK, but surely that isn't a factor?

Is this purely because there is limited information on me, due to me being a new PR to the US?

Any help appreciated
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Background Checks for Employment

My best guess would be that the majority of the background check is actually a credit check and if you have a short or no history they will get nothing back.

I suggest you call and talk to someone in HR directly and explain to them that you will obviously have a short history and see if there is an alternate way of verifying you.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 9:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83
Hi guys,

I have been offered a position pending my background check. Apparently it came back 'requiring further review' and I already had one come back for another company saying my SSN is invalid. I know this is because it's new as I only got my GC a month ago.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? I am worried, not sure why because I have no criminal convictions, never been arrested. I have a lot of debt back in the UK, but surely that isn't a factor?

Is this purely because there is limited information on me, due to me being a new PR to the US?

Any help appreciated
Suppose it depends what sort of position you've applied for as to what background checks they make.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
My best guess would be that the majority of the background check is actually a credit check and if you have a short or no history they will get nothing back.

I suggest you call and talk to someone in HR directly and explain to them that you will obviously have a short history and see if there is an alternate way of verifying you.
I already have a Credit Card with Capital One. Yes they actually gave me one and I put that I was Unemployed on the application form, they asked for our household income and that was it! Not that I plan on using it, I've learned from my mistakes, just wanted to try and get my credit going.

As for the position, it's only for a Pharmacy Tech position with a well known chain...

Their background checks are done by Lexis Nexis I believe, already passed the drug test.

Just seems funny considering all of the scrutiny you have to go through to become a PR in the first place.

*sigh...*

Last edited by StephieFaith83; Sep 3rd 2010 at 9:16 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is lack of info, and like the poster above says, you should contact their HR department and just explain to them you only received your SSN recently, when you got your greencard, and explain what repercussions that has. You could also say that you had to go through multi-national police checks to get your greencard, but sometimes, especially if it's a big faceless company, they're not going to care, because they have their rules and that's that.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

If you're applying for a pharmacy tech position you will have access to narcotics. They want to make sure you have no criminal convictions. If you have no criminal convictions, there is absolutely no reason to worry.

Background checks are normal for positions in healthcare - yes I realize you won't actually be "caring" for anyone.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83
I already have a Credit Card with Capital One. Yes they actually gave me one and I put that I was Unemployed on the application form, they asked for our household income and that was it! Not that I plan on using it, I've learned from my mistakes, just wanted to try and get my credit going.
Just a quick aside, having the card is good but you will have to use the card to help build your credit as the percentage of credit used is part of the equation. Careful regulated use, don't go wild. Spend a consistent amount each month that is within your ability to pay off in full when the statement comes. Don't max it out, don't get even near to maxing it out. Perhaps consider putting some of your household utility bills on it, they have to be paid anyway.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:06 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

These so-called background checks are a bit rubbish, really. As said, they're mainly a credit check (maybe on things like the CLUE insurance claims DB and a few others as well as the big 3), plus (at best) a couple of calls to the local courthouses and possibly a trawl of the sex offenders register.

They like to make out that they're in depth and detailed, but the companies that do them are just private sector bullshit merchants, without access to any of the law enforcement databases. IMHO, the hiring companies only do them for insurance reasons, so's if sued they can say "but we did a background check and everything".

As others have said - it's just lack of data - the procedure is looking for the sort of results you'd get for someone of your age, who's lived in the US their whole life, and it's not getting it. And the wankers operating it don't know what to do with that.

Edited to add: Here's the website for the wankers in question: https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/

Last edited by chartreuse; Sep 4th 2010 at 12:10 am.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

lonestargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
Background checks are normal for positions in healthcare - yes I realize you won't actually be "caring" for anyone.
Yes, pretty much all hospitals do them. I'm going to be doing a hospital-based PhD and had to do one. Despite having my SSN for only 6-months mine came back clear in 3-4 hours (with Axicom). It was a bit pointlesss as they didn't check my record in Ireland at all (I had background checks there too as it happens, both for working in a hospital and for teaching swimming while at university).
Old Sep 4th 2010, 1:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's mostly a credit check and having a credit card without much else and a good length of time doesn't bring much to your history.

Talk to HR, shouldn't be a issue, especially pointing out the background check for the greencard, considering that actually is done by the FBI etc.

The really weird one is when apartment complexes want a background check, criminal and credit for the application
Old Sep 4th 2010, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be thick, but why would your credit score affect your ability to do the job?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 3:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Sorry to be thick, but why would your credit score affect your ability to do the job?
because the thinking is, if you can't maintain your credit, you might not be able to maintain anything else....or steal stuff...because employers are muppets
Old Sep 4th 2010, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
because the thinking is, if you can't maintain your credit, you might not be able to maintain anything else....or steal stuff...because employers are muppets
Maybe only the independently wealthy should look for work
Old Sep 4th 2010, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Usually retail businesses and banks want to make sure that you are not so far in debt that you might steal. As long as they aren't defaulting on their debts, that is usually ok.

I wouldn't mention debts in the UK since they will likely not find those.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all of your help and advice guys.

Much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.