Reload this Page >

Background check and SSN

Background check and SSN

Old Aug 7th 2011, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

PANUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Background check and SSN

Hi

I'm having a bit of a problem getting past background checks for jobs....

My EAD arrived 2 weeks ago. I went to SSA the same day to request a SSN which arrived the following Friday (much to my astonishment!). I'm now watiting for my PR cards (I've had the welcome notice).

I applied for a couple of jobs over the weekend and got a phone call on Monday inviting me to an interview on the Tuesday. They offered me the job subject to a background check. I got a call from the company on Friday informing me the background check had failed and they couldn't offer me the job.

I contacted the background checking company and they told me that problem was that, apparently, they couldn't confirm the SSN 'because it wasn't on their systems yet'.

It looks like I've lost a job because of a technicality. I scanned and emailed the background company my EAD and SSN and I'm hoping they can confirm the details once having seen the cards.

Is this normal? From reading other posts here it seems the SSN sometimes doesn't get onto credit checking companies until you get a credit score - but I can't get a credit score until I can on the credit checking company database - catch 22?!

I have another interview on Tuesday and I'm concerned the same thing might happen......

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Paul
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Background check and SSN

Unfortunately, as far as most credit and background checking agencies are concerned you don't even exist yet and there isn't much that you can do about it other than advising potential employers that they are unlikely to be able to run those types of checks on you because you have only just got a social security number.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If the employer really wants to hire you they can do so anyway. If you are new to the USA you're obviously not going to have any "background" to check. The "checking company" can still tell the employer they found nothing.

Go back to the employer, if necessary at a higher level, and ask for this to be reviewed. They may even be acting illegally as the background check hasn't "failed" - they've just found nothing.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:14 am
Just Joined

PANUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks for the replies - I kinda guessed that would be the answer.

I get the impression the background checking company just reported the check as failed with no extra info to the employer.

I'll call the employer tomorrow and explain what's happened. The HR person that interviewed me saw the SSN and EAD cards so hopefully they'll understand!

Again, thanks

Paul