Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Back to work Boxing Day?

Back to work Boxing Day?

Old Dec 24th 2007, 3:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to work Boxing Day?

Originally Posted by franc11s
NEver ceases to amaze me how so many people go back to, or start trying to book calls/meetings the day AFTER Christmas day. Shite, I'm still hung over and eating Turkey at work wouldn't be the same!

What U doing TRADIONALLY English Boxing Day?

I'll be back in my office on December 26th and not think anything of it. First off, I'm a Yank and we don't consider boxing day a holiday (good and bad points for that) so can't miss a holiday that ain't a holiday

Also not everyone drinks and stuffs themselves silly on a holiday and lives to regret it the next day.

My suggestion for all Brits, Canadians (of which hubby is one), and other Europeans who are use to having December 26th off, arrange to take it as a vacation day and enjoy your traditional day off.

Have a Merry Everyone!
Old Dec 24th 2007, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Back to work Boxing Day?

Originally Posted by Rete
First off, I'm a Yank
You have my deepest sympathies!

Jim
Old Dec 24th 2007, 7:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
You have my deepest sympathies!

Jim

Thank you, dear

And you have my condolences. Now what is the British abbreviation or slang for condolences?
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:00 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Working. With loads of customers and very few people around to help.

Shit, I shoudn't have thought of that know. I'll have to go have a few Minderasers.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be back in my office on December 26th and not think anything of it. First off, I'm a Yank and we don't consider boxing day a holiday (good and bad points for that)
Hmm. I fail to see any good points at all for not having the day after Christmas as a holiday.

My theory on the whole shit Christmas thing in the US is that Thanksgiving has killed Christmas.

With 2 weeks off a year for most, and Thanksgiving being as big as it is to get back to family etc, most people burn their their time off for that - just one month before Christmas.

So its back to work Boxing Day.

Thanksgiving = Christmas Murderer!!
Old Dec 25th 2007, 11:42 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be back in the office working by myself, bosses are away for the day so I'll be doing my job and answering the phone too which will probably break my consentration and thus make my day fairly unproductive. Already counting the days until New Years.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:18 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Hmm. I fail to see any good points at all for not having the day after Christmas as a holiday.

My theory on the whole shit Christmas thing in the US is that Thanksgiving has killed Christmas.

With 2 weeks off a year for most, and Thanksgiving being as big as it is to get back to family etc, most people burn their their time off for that - just one month before Christmas.

So its back to work Boxing Day.

Thanksgiving = Christmas Murderer!!
I feel exactly the same ....the whole Thanksgiving nonsense (we get the day after off !!) takes the edge away from Christmas ....I suppose I could take a vacation day for the 26'th but the employer isn't exactly generous vacation wise ...
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

Yes, I'm just off to work today, Boxing Day.

No one else in my family is working.

And it's my birthday.

And it's the first time ever in my 46 years that I've had to work Boxing Day (always been in public schools before).

Not a happy camper.......
Old Dec 26th 2007, 12:37 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'm working.

I don't think Thanksgiving killed Christmas.... I think that the people who *do* have off work demand that shops and services be available, and our international customers don't view today as anything special. There's nothing sacred any more.... FWIW I voted *for* keeping the blue laws in place, not on religious grounds, but because I felt that everyone deserved a day off work. (They eventually were repealed.)
Old Dec 26th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

My suggestion for all Brits, Canadians (of which hubby is one), and other Europeans who are use to having December 26th off, arrange to take it as a vacation day and enjoy your traditional day off.

Have a Merry Everyone!
Great suggestion - thanks, never would have thought of that.......
Old Dec 26th 2007, 2:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm back at work...and not to productive...my new machine is staring at me, but the IT guy is off on a holiday, and hasn't authorised any of the software so it's just teasing me...and current machine is dying, ram and dvd drive having issues, but it's being recycled so he couldn't be bothered to fix it before heading off....hmmm....
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:40 pm
Lapine Member

I'm back to work and productive.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:02 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter works in Shop and Shop and they asked if she would like Boxing day off...which is nice....
My hubby should of been in he ran out of holiday time....but he would of been the only one there so he had an extra day....there are only 2 in the rest of the week...everyone else has flown south till after New Year...we don't go away till the 29th...
Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

me..........and husband. It's a very boring non-productive day
Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
me..........and husband. It's a very boring non-productive day
VERY productive day for me...

have just booked a 10-DAY TRIP TO LONDON for end of January!!!

Okay, the ROH is sold out for the whole time I'm there but I guess I'll find something to do...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.