British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Back in the US and need SSN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/back-us-need-ssn-896148/)

LouisB Apr 30th 2017 9:51 pm

Back in the US and need SSN

Made it back to the US, now with our stuff etc. Apartment hunting.

I need to get an SSN ASAP, will be applying next week.

I understand it may take a week or two to get the card, which will come to my work address for now.

But prior to getting the card I really need the number.

I read somewhere if you ask when applying you may be able to get the number over the counter ahead of card.

Is that true? If so any tips for requesting it, a persuading argument, I don't want to be fobbed off by an unhelpful assistant and could really use the SSN before the card arrives.

Noorah101 Apr 30th 2017 10:36 pm

Re: Back in the US and need SSN

Why do you need the number so urgently? You don't need it to start working, nor opening a bank account, etc.

That said, you might be able to go back to the SS office in person a couple of days after applying, to see if they'll tell you the number.

Rene

md95065 Apr 30th 2017 10:46 pm

Prospective landlords will probably ask for the SSN in order to run a credit check but, since the OP doesn't have any credit history, not having the SSN won't really make any practical difference.

ian-mstm Apr 30th 2017 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12241651)
I need to get an SSN ASAP...

Can you be more specific about why this is such an urgency? You certainly don't need it to start work or to open a bank account. Also, as md95065 noted, you won't have a credit history so it won't be too useful right away and you can drive on your foreign license for at least a month.

But prior to getting the card I really need the number.
So long as your immigration information is in the SAVE system when they start to process your SS-5 application, you should be able to get a number the next day. You'll probably need to go in person, because they aren't supposed to give out that information over the phone - because they can't verify who you are.

Ian

LouisB Apr 30th 2017 11:50 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies.

The primary reason is just making application for an apartment and they asked for it. Didn't know it would be required for that, but that now puts some urgency on it.

Secondly need it for work payroll, but that can wait a couple of weeks.

They (work) gave me a temp SSN but presume that's just an internal thing for work payroll system.

Of course I have no US credit history yet anyway, so not sure how SSN will be that valuable, however they asked and I'm wondering how to expedite.

So if I apply early next week maybe I can revisit the office towards the end of the week to try and get the allocated number?

SanDiegogirl May 1st 2017 12:55 am

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12241703)
Hi, thanks for the replies.

The primary reason is just making application for an apartment and they asked for it. Didn't know it would be required for that, but that now puts some urgency on it.

Secondly need it for work payroll, but that can wait a couple of weeks.

They (work) gave me a temp SSN but presume that's just an internal thing for work payroll system.

Of course I have no US credit history yet anyway, so not sure how SSN will be that valuable, however they asked and I'm wondering how to expedite.

So if I apply early next week maybe I can revisit the office towards the end of the week to try and get the allocated number?

Get your company to write a letter of reference for you detailing your employment/position with them. That's what my company did for me before I had my SS number and I presented it to the leasing company with no problem.

They really want it to prove you are working/can work/ and can afford the place.

ian-mstm May 1st 2017 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12241703)

If you're in the SAVE system, yes. Otherwise, they'll need to do a manual verification of your immigration status and that could take 10-12 weeks.

Ian

LouisB May 3rd 2017 2:01 pm

Hey, good news is I was able to make the application okay and also prior to getting SSN / card we also got approved for our first US apartment too, no SSN or further questions, guarantors etc required.

Phew!

So presume once I get the SSN I need to start building a good credit history next.

Any tips on this would be greatly received! 🙂

Noorah101 May 3rd 2017 3:04 pm

We have a Wiki Guide with lots of credit building tips.

Rene

Olly_ May 3rd 2017 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12243659)
Hey, good news is I was able to make the application okay and also prior to getting SSN / card we also got approved for our first US apartment too, no SSN or further questions, guarantors etc required.

Phew!

So presume once I get the SSN I need to start building a good credit history next.

Any tips on this would be greatly received! 🙂

Did you have an Amex card in the UK?

hungryhorace May 3rd 2017 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12241651)

I read somewhere if you ask when applying you may be able to get the number over the counter ahead of card.

Is that true?

Yes.

LouisB May 3rd 2017 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 12243935)
Yes.

Not in my case. I tried but Manhattan social security application was being processed in Maryland, the numbers were NOT allocated at the branch I was at.

LouisB May 3rd 2017 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Olly_ (Post 12243809)
Did you have an Amex card in the UK?

Yes and I plan to do the account transfer once we've signed out new US residential address.

LouisB May 3rd 2017 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12243719)
We have a Wiki Guide with lots of credit building tips.

Rene

Ok thanks, will read up.

Olly_ May 3rd 2017 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12244085)
Yes and I plan to do the account transfer once we've signed out new US residential address.

Good, that's a great way to start things off.

I got a Capital One Journey card and a Discover card within a few weeks of getting my SSN.