British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   back to US by flight with a I-94? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/back-us-flight-i-94-a-109901/)

TomTheCat Jul 28th 2002 6:14 pm

back to US by flight with a I-94?

Hi,
I plan to land in Canada in Sep by flight and have a question about flying back to the US.
Can I do that with a valid I-94 and H1 approval letter, i.e, without an entry visa? I assume that I can do that when passing the border physically, but don't know if things are different if boarding a flight.
Thank you.
Thom

Ingo Pakleppa Jul 29th 2002 2:20 pm

Re: back to US by flight with a I-94?

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 12:20:32 -0700, TomTheCat wrote:

> Hi, I plan to land in Canada in Sep by flight and have a question about flying back
    > to the US. Can I do that with a valid I-94 and H1 approval letter, i.e, without an
    > entry visa? I assume that I can do that when passing the border physically, but
    > don't know if things are different if boarding a flight. Thank you. Thom

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. By "land in Canada" do you mean, you are
immigrating to Canada? Where and when did you get your I-94, and where and how long
have you travelled since then?

In any case, if you are a landed immigrant in Canada, do be aware that a US H-1B can
endanger your status in Canada. That is because as far as I know, Canada expects
landed immigrants to actually physically reside in Canada.

Ingo

Manish Jul 30th 2002 5:17 pm

INGO wrote
"In any case, if you are a landed immigrant in Canada, do be aware that a US H-1B can
endanger your status in Canada. That is because as far as I know, Canada expects
landed immigrants to actually physically reside in Canada."
Above statement is not correct, now becaue of new Canada law one can stay out of Canada for 3 years after landing and H1b visa has NO problem you can have any kind of Visa just maintain yor PR in canada you shold be in Canada only for 2 years. H1B or L1 or O visa for US have no problem.

regarding your question about I-94, so many things are being changed by Us INS, better is to ask some attorney in US

mu suggestin to you is that when you LANd in Canada you can also go to US Consulate in Toronto and can get H1b visa sticker in your Passport, you have the Valid H1b approval with you , the Visa in Passport will solve your problem (if any) for future entry to US from Canada

Ingo Pakleppa Jul 31st 2002 9:20 am

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:20:23 -0700, Manish wrote:

> INGO wrote "In any case, if you are a landed immigrant in Canada, do be aware that
    > a US H-1B can endanger your status in Canada. That is because as far as I know,
    > Canada expects landed immigrants to actually physically reside in Canada."
    > ***
    > Above statement is not correct, now becaue of new Canada law one can stay out of
    > Canada for 3 years after landing and H1b visa has NO problem you can have any kind
    > of Visa just maintain yor PR in canada you shold be in Canada only for 2 years. H1B
    > or L1 or O visa for US have no problem.
    >
    >
Thanks for the update! Canada is more liberal than the US in this respect, then!

Ingo