British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Back in UK - want a divorce (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/back-uk-want-divorce-349332/)

London2ATL Jan 19th 2006 12:24 pm

Back in UK - want a divorce

If anyone can help me with this problem, I'd be so grateful - I just don't know where to start! I went to ATL in 2003 and married my american boyfriend, who I met whilst travelling. He turned out to be not what he said he was (that's the polite version) and I moved back to the UK in May 04.

I now want to get a divorce from him - I don't want anything of his and he doesn't want anything of mine - so how do I go about it? I don't have pots of money right now so I need to find the least expensive way of divorcing him. We are in touch by email occasionally and I know he wants a divorce too but he won't send the info I need to make it happen ie on the Georgia/American divorce system.

Can anyone here help me please?

CarlM Jan 19th 2006 12:39 pm

Re: Back in UK - want a divorce

Originally Posted by London2ATL
If anyone can help me with this problem, I'd be so grateful - I just don't know where to start! I went to ATL in 2003 and married my american boyfriend, who I met whilst travelling. He turned out to be not what he said he was (that's the polite version) and I moved back to the UK in May 04.

I now want to get a divorce from him - I don't want anything of his and he doesn't want anything of mine - so how do I go about it? I don't have pots of money right now so I need to find the least expensive way of divorcing him. We are in touch by email occasionally and I know he wants a divorce too but he won't send the info I need to make it happen ie on the Georgia/American divorce system.

Sorry to hear of that - i loved living in Atlanta myself!

Divorce lawyers in US are ten-a-penny. Google search one, and call for a consultation - theres one here in Ohio who does a flat rate of $299!!

Its not the 'someone must be blamed' system that the UK Courts insist on using, its much more straightforward. You could also contact the Clerk of Courts in the county you lived in and ask them for advice.

Ray Jan 19th 2006 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by CarlM
Sorry to hear of that - i loved living in Atlanta myself!
Divorce lawyers in US are ten-a-penny. Google search one, and call for a consultation - theres one here in Ohio who does a flat rate of $299!!

Or tell him your coming back to claim on the Affidavit of Support he filed with the USCIS .. he may fall for it ..

CarlM Jan 19th 2006 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Or tell him your coming back to claim on the Affidavit of Support he filed with the USCIS .. he may fall for it ..

Even better - take Rays advice!

London2ATL Jan 19th 2006 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

I'm sure that would go down well! We're only just on speaking terms - gawd knows what he'd threaten if I said that to him! I just want him out of my life for good.

Ray Jan 19th 2006 2:25 pm

I'm sure that would go down well! We're only just on speaking terms - gawd knows what he'd threaten if I said that to him! I just want him out of my life for good.

But of course if he supplies the paperwork .. you won't .. his wallet is more important to him...

TruBrit Jan 19th 2006 2:31 pm

easy route...ticket to Vegas/Reno....friends of friends in UK got married and divorced there within a year..supposed to be recognised in the UK, dunno

Chorlton Jan 19th 2006 3:49 pm

Can't you buy the DIY kits for trouble-free divorces? :confused:

London2ATL Jan 19th 2006 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Can't you buy the DIY kits for trouble-free divorces? :confused:

I don't know - that's what I'm trying to find out. I've never been divorced before, hence me trying to seek advice on here.

USBound Jan 19th 2006 4:28 pm

I don't know - that's what I'm trying to find out. I've never been divorced before, hence me trying to seek advice on here.

there are countless websites that will essentially (for a small fee) fill out the paperwork for you and allow you to print it online, you then sign it, mail it to him, he signs in and send it to the court in the area where you married. With no contest "irreconsilable difference" (sp) divorces pass through in weeks and you'll be sorted in 6months (for most states).

CarlM Jan 19th 2006 4:35 pm

I found this website for a legal firm specializing in expat divorces! Might be worth a phone call:
http://www.divorce-lawfirm.co.uk/expatdivorce.asp

CaliforniaBride Jan 19th 2006 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by USBound
there are countless websites that will essentially (for a small fee) fill out the paperwork for you and allow you to print it online, you then sign it, mail it to him, he signs in and send it to the court in the area where you married. With no contest "irreconsilable difference" (sp) divorces pass through in weeks and you'll be sorted in 6months (for most states).

In California there is a mandatory six month wait between filing and finalising your divorce.

For Georgia law look here:

http://www.divorcelawinfo.com/states/ga/georgia.htm

To the OP, you need to Google and start reading.

London2ATL Jan 19th 2006 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
In California there is a mandatory six month wait between filing and finalising your divorce.

For Georgia law look here:

http://www.divorcelawinfo.com/states/ga/georgia.htm

To the OP, you need to Google and start reading.

thank you all - I'll have a look at those sites. Calif Bride - I was hoping to cut out the googling by asking you guys on here :)

CaliforniaBride Jan 19th 2006 4:57 pm

Calif Bride - I was hoping to cut out the googling by asking you guys on here :)

Here are a few words of warning ;)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=18

I'd stick with Google :D

London2ATL Jan 19th 2006 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Here are a few words of warning ;)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=18

I'd stick with Google :D

lol - I'll get googling then.....