British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Back from UK; Car rental recommendation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/back-uk%3B-car-rental-recommendation-245888/)

Englishmum Aug 2nd 2004 10:33 pm

Back from UK; Car rental recommendation

I've just been in Europe for the last 5 weeks (4 in the UK and 1 week in Estonia) and would like to pass on a recommendation for a car rental company I used as I got a great rate:

My husband flew back to the US before I did so we returned his rental car to Hertz as their rates are high and I was happy to rent a smaller car. I'd looked on expedia.co.uk for the prices for a 'compact' sized rental car for three weeks (the smallest size is 'economy').

The best rate I got was at 72 GBP per week/ 12 GBP per day inclusive of all taxes (from an airport location too).

This was with Enterprise (an American owned car rental company).....similarly to Hertz, Avis etc. they collect you in their shuttle bus at Heathrow - there is a rental desk inside the terminal (and at Gatwick) as they're based near Terminal 4 (but moving early next year next to Avis next to the runway at T2&3).

I expected the hard sell for extra insurance when I arrived but they were very pleasant - I just produced my Amex card (which provides plenty of insurance coverage) and no problems. I had a nice surprise....I thought I'd be getting something like a Vauxhall Nova but instead got a much larger car in that group: a Ford Focus C-Max (larger than a Focus with 3 removable rear seats that you would find in a minivan/MPV).

Driving back down the M40 to return the car the aircon packed in (car had 9k on the clock) and it was a hot, sultry day. They were very apologetic and immediately credited my Amex with 40 pounds for the inconvenience!

The only downside is that they're not open for extended hours yet, (I think it's currently 7am-7pm) but will be when they move their depot.

:cool:

mattbutt Aug 2nd 2004 11:06 pm

Re: Back from UK; Car rental recommendation

Originally posted by Englishmum
I've just been in Europe for the last 5 weeks (4 in the UK and 1 week in Estonia) and would like to pass on a recommendation for a car rental company I used as I got a great rate:

My husband flew back to the US before I did so we returned his rental car to Hertz as their rates are high and I was happy to rent a smaller car. I'd looked on expedia.co.uk for the prices for a 'compact' sized rental car for three weeks (the smallest size is 'economy').

The best rate I got was at 72 GBP per week/ 12 GBP per day inclusive of all taxes (from an airport location too).

This was with Enterprise (an American owned car rental company).....similarly to Hertz, Avis etc. they collect you in their shuttle bus at Heathrow - there is a rental desk inside the terminal (and at Gatwick) as they're based near Terminal 4 (but moving early next year next to Avis next to the runway at T2&3).

I expected the hard sell for extra insurance when I arrived but they were very pleasant - I just produced my Amex card (which provides plenty of insurance coverage) and no problems. I had a nice surprise....I thought I'd be getting something like a Vauxhall Nova but instead got a much larger car in that group: a Ford Focus C-Max (larger than a Focus with 3 removable rear seats that you would find in a minivan/MPV).

Driving back down the M40 to return the car the aircon packed in (car had 9k on the clock) and it was a hot, sultry day. They were very apologetic and immediately credited my Amex with 40 pounds for the inconvenience!

The only downside is that they're not open for extended hours yet, (I think it's currently 7am-7pm) but will be when they move their depot.

:cool:
I used to live near Heathrow and used Enterprise near to T4(on the A30) a few times and to be honest I had a very different experience. I rented a Renualt Espace, the car wasnt ready when I had agreed a time to pick it up, the car was dirty inside and out. It took me ages to get served aswell and they hadnt bothered to fill the car up.

Another thing that annoyed me with this particular site is that an american couple had just turned up. They rented them a beaten up Corsa, which also wasnt clean and had a flat tyre. Nobody had bothered to tell the couple this. They only noticed when we told them as they were about to drive off!

I had a crappy experience with them here to. Rented me a beaten up old saturn with about 60k on the clock which was a pile of crap, you couldnt get the key in the ignition unless you wiggled it.

So for me my Enterprise Experience hasnt bee as good as yours. I suppose they are cheap but there are others out there too.

Pimpbot Aug 2nd 2004 11:35 pm

We've always used Enterprise over here. They always seem to have the best deals.

a lad insane Aug 3rd 2004 8:57 am

Originally posted by Pimpbot
We've always used Enterprise over here. They always seem to have the best deals.
I've used Enterprise in the UK a few times, always found them to be really good.

waxwabbit Aug 3rd 2004 5:25 pm

used dollar once, they were fine

NC Penguin Aug 3rd 2004 5:49 pm

Eneterprise Experience in the US

I almost exclusively use Enterprise at work. Everything about them is OK except that from time to time, they don't drop off and pick up vehicles at the requested time.

I would use them more often if their one way rates were better.

marlborobell Aug 5th 2004 5:27 pm

And of course I hate to mention them, but there's ... easyCar. Minimal service, gotta prepay, lots of paperwork ahead of time, but nobody would rent me a Zafira (or similar-sized car with enough room for two parents, a baby and a week's worth of stuff) at Heathrow for anywhere near easyCar's prices.

(And yes, they finally have a genuine Heathrow location now, instead of the stupid Hounslow one that was going to be in the Tube station car park (which would have been fine) but moved to the middle of nowhere.)

Say what you like about them, and many people have, but when it works it works very well and I haven't seen anyone coming close to their prices.

(Be aware that even Stelios has, I think, said that their business model is closer to Ryanair's than easyJet's, i.e. pare back every possible frill you can think of, and then pare back some more. Most of their offices are in the back of Transit vans. Seriously.)