Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Back home at last

Back home at last

Old Jul 27th 2004, 3:21 pm
  #1  
Rock Goddess
Thread Starter
 
Rockgurl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Connecticut USA
Posts: 1,429
Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Back home at last

I am finally back on the East Coast after driving 2600 miles from Phoenix to Connecticut. What a crazy week! I had to pack up my car in Phoenix in insanely hot weather...the outdoor thermometer on 7th Ave recorded 119 degrees with 53% humidity...I thought I was going to die! I drove through New Mexico and stayed in a fabulous hotel in Albuquerque. I got stopped by the police in Texas for speeding (I was doing 75 in a 70 zone...bad bad girl!) but they let me off and were very pleasant and professional. I hated Oklahoma and couldn't wait to leave, but at least the motel was spotlessly clean. The food was dreadful though. St Louis was an experience. We stayed in a fabulous hotel next to a huge casino overlooking the Mississipi River. Such a beautiful view, but the East of the city was something out of a nightmare and I drove through there very quickly indeed!

The AAA did a splendid job of planning my route and booking my hotels. I got a 10% discount for being a AAA memeber and all the hotels bar one were luxurious. The last one in Ohio was an absolute dump though, and was the lowpoint of the trip. Driving through Pennsylvania into New Jersey and New York was amazing because I knew that soon I'd be home, and crossing that state line into Connecticut was such a good feeling. It's been a lifetime dream to drive across America and it was an incredible experience. The Ford Focus was fantastic to drive on long distance and thank god for cruise control!

It's heavenly to be here finally, and I've been waking up smiling every day. We're off to England tomorrow for a week so I can see my family and then I start my new job in August. I always did love a happy ending.
Rockgurl is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2004, 3:54 pm
  #2  
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,082
BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Default

Where in CT are you now?

Did you take I-95?
BrigieDarling is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2004, 3:57 pm
  #3  
Thems the Vagaries
 
LuTziE's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Maine
Posts: 610
LuTziE is a glorious beacon of lightLuTziE is a glorious beacon of lightLuTziE is a glorious beacon of lightLuTziE is a glorious beacon of lightLuTziE is a glorious beacon of lightLuTziE is a glorious beacon of lightLuTziE is a glorious beacon of lightLuTziE is a glorious beacon of lightLuTziE is a glorious beacon of lightLuTziE is a glorious beacon of lightLuTziE is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Where in CT are you now?

Did you take I-95?

I thought 95 only went north to south?
that and 495 are my most travelled roads here in Maine.

i want to drive the length of it one day, from the tip of maine down to the keys.
LuTziE is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2004, 4:03 pm
  #4  
my arm aches
 
ladyofthelake's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: the warm waters of Florida
Posts: 2,289
ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Ah, so great to hear it's all come together for you at last. Have a great holiday and enjoy your new life!
ladyofthelake is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:21 pm
  #5  
Rock Goddess
Thread Starter
 
Rockgurl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Connecticut USA
Posts: 1,429
Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Where in CT are you now?

Did you take I-95?
I took I-95 part of the way and then the I-84. I'm just North East of Hartford.
Rockgurl is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2004, 11:57 pm
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,105
AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back home at last

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I am finally back on the East Coast after driving 2600 miles from Phoenix to Connecticut. What a crazy week! I had to pack up my car in Phoenix in insanely hot weather...the outdoor thermometer on 7th Ave recorded 119 degrees with 53% humidity...I thought I was going to die! I drove through New Mexico and stayed in a fabulous hotel in Albuquerque. I got stopped by the police in Texas for speeding (I was doing 75 in a 70 zone...bad bad girl!) but they let me off and were very pleasant and professional. I hated Oklahoma and couldn't wait to leave, but at least the motel was spotlessly clean. The food was dreadful though. St Louis was an experience. We stayed in a fabulous hotel next to a huge casino overlooking the Mississipi River. Such a beautiful view, but the East of the city was something out of a nightmare and I drove through there very quickly indeed!

The AAA did a splendid job of planning my route and booking my hotels. I got a 10% discount for being a AAA memeber and all the hotels bar one were luxurious. The last one in Ohio was an absolute dump though, and was the lowpoint of the trip. Driving through Pennsylvania into New Jersey and New York was amazing because I knew that soon I'd be home, and crossing that state line into Connecticut was such a good feeling. It's been a lifetime dream to drive across America and it was an incredible experience. The Ford Focus was fantastic to drive on long distance and thank god for cruise control!

It's heavenly to be here finally, and I've been waking up smiling every day. We're off to England tomorrow for a week so I can see my family and then I start my new job in August. I always did love a happy ending.

Glad you made it safely and had a good trip.

I've always wanted to go cross country, don't know about driving though, unless it was in a big old monster RV.
AmerLisa is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:12 am
  #7  
Howling at the Moon
 
lairdside's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Incline Village, NV
Posts: 3,742
lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I took I-95 part of the way and then the I-84. I'm just North East of Hartford.
If you happen upon a lady called Lesley Robarge say hi to my S-I-L for me would you please?

lairdside is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:37 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Lesley1020's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Millington, TN
Posts: 533
Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back home at last

Sounds wonderful! I'm so glad that things are going so well for you

It's a great feeling to wake up feeling happy in the mornings! Long may it continue!

I'm off to Corpus Christi for Labor Day weekend, and although I'm not going to be going through so many places - I fully intend to start travelling a lot more and making the most of being here
Lesley1020 is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:53 pm
  #9  
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,082
BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally posted by LuTziE
I thought 95 only went north to south?
that and 495 are my most travelled roads here in Maine.

i want to drive the length of it one day, from the tip of maine down to the keys.

I've driven as far as Daytona on I-95. it's a really nice drive and cool to spot things like the signs for South of the Border etc... The kids love it!
BrigieDarling is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:54 pm
  #10  
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,082
BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I took I-95 part of the way and then the I-84. I'm just North East of Hartford.

You must have driven past my house... it's not close to 95 but I can see it when there are no leaves on the trees.

I wish Milford had a landmark...
BrigieDarling is offline  
Old Jul 29th 2004, 3:25 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Jabba1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 808
Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back home at last

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I am finally back on the East Coast after driving 2600 miles from Phoenix to Connecticut. What a crazy week! I had to pack up my car in Phoenix in insanely hot weather...the outdoor thermometer on 7th Ave recorded 119 degrees with 53% humidity...I thought I was going to die! I drove through New Mexico and stayed in a fabulous hotel in Albuquerque. I got stopped by the police in Texas for speeding (I was doing 75 in a 70 zone...bad bad girl!) but they let me off and were very pleasant and professional. I hated Oklahoma and couldn't wait to leave, but at least the motel was spotlessly clean. The food was dreadful though. St Louis was an experience. We stayed in a fabulous hotel next to a huge casino overlooking the Mississipi River. Such a beautiful view, but the East of the city was something out of a nightmare and I drove through there very quickly indeed!

The AAA did a splendid job of planning my route and booking my hotels. I got a 10% discount for being a AAA memeber and all the hotels bar one were luxurious. The last one in Ohio was an absolute dump though, and was the lowpoint of the trip. Driving through Pennsylvania into New Jersey and New York was amazing because I knew that soon I'd be home, and crossing that state line into Connecticut was such a good feeling. It's been a lifetime dream to drive across America and it was an incredible experience. The Ford Focus was fantastic to drive on long distance and thank god for cruise control!

It's heavenly to be here finally, and I've been waking up smiling every day. We're off to England tomorrow for a week so I can see my family and then I start my new job in August. I always did love a happy ending.
That was a lifetime dream, was it? When I was a kid we used to take driving across America for granted- I have relatives living on both coasts. These days I just fly out to see them- though I did enjoy my drive through California in a rental car a few years back.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it.
Jabba1 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.