Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Back from Blighty...

Back from Blighty...

Old Sep 13th 2004, 5:55 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back from Blighty...

Got in at DFW last night, had a wonderful trip.

Alot has changed in 2 3/4 years, some good, some bad.
nearly every inch of spare land were I used to leave are having
houses/townhomes built.

The was fantastic, especially the Stella but was knocked
out at the prices (£2.70 a pint).

Fish and chips was awesome, same with proper sausages and sausage
rolls, bacon and pasties.

The weather was unreal all but one day was 78-82 deg and sunny

Went to Dublin, a little dissapointed, spent alot of "euro's" on nothing but crap.

Great to read the sun, and go to the bathroom without flushing the chain 3 times. Had everyone tell me, I have a dorset with a tinge of Texan accent creeping in...

By the way, I saw just as many fat people over there than here, in fact in weymouth they have a 2 storey KFC building, right next to Macdonalds

The choccy isle in Asda is twice aslong as the one in Walmart!
Old Sep 13th 2004, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back from Blighty...

welcome back ... glad you had a good trip !
Old Sep 14th 2004, 12:37 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Yosser
By the way, I saw just as many fat people over there than here, in fact in weymouth they have a 2 storey KFC building, right next to Macdonalds

My parents live in Weymouth -- last time I was back was in the summer of 2002 after a number of years absence and I was surprised at the changes and how many American eateries (to use an American word!) had sprung up.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 4:12 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Weymouth last time I went home in May of last year. It always brings back fond memories of when I was young, and visiting Weymouth on the train, the WH Smiths is just how I remember it. We used to take holidays down there too, at the Littlesea Caravan Park. I can even remember seeing a train going through the back streets on its way to the harbour, and they haven't done that for a few years now. As I remeber Portland lighthouse was always worth a visit too.
We're Dorset bound in November, so we might get to go that way again. My wife loves the Purbeck area, especially Corfe and Lulworth, and Weymouth isn't all that much further.

Daniel

Last edited by dgsyd1; Sep 14th 2004 at 4:15 am.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 4:54 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

so i take it you live in texas and just got back from U.K? I've been back only two times in 8 years! ohhhhhhhhhh and this has got me drooling!! real bacon, sausage sarnies sausage rolls !!!!! as a kid i'd turn my nose up at my moms cooked breakfasts now i'd kill for 'em!!! lol
Old Sep 14th 2004, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

What a bloody show off! Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Got in at DFW last night, had a wonderful trip.

Alot has changed in 2 3/4 years, some good, some bad.
nearly every inch of spare land were I used to leave are having
houses/townhomes built.

The was fantastic, especially the Stella but was knocked
out at the prices (£2.70 a pint).

The weather was unreal all but one day was 78-82 deg and sunny

Went to Dublin, a little dissapointed, spent alot of "euro's" on nothing but crap.

Great to read the sun, and go to the bathroom without flushing the chain 3 times. Had everyone tell me, I have a dorset with a tinge of Texan accent creeping in...

Old Sep 14th 2004, 5:16 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
so i take it you live in texas and just got back from U.K? I've been back only two times in 8 years! ohhhhhhhhhh and this has got me drooling!! real bacon, sausage sarnies sausage rolls !!!!! as a kid i'd turn my nose up at my moms cooked breakfasts now i'd kill for 'em!!! lol
Lived around Dallas for nearly 5 years now, it was only my 2nd time back.

Daniel, yep I used to live about 2 miles from the lighthouse, I took my wife and daughter out there on the first sunday afternoon, it was sunny and lovely and warm, with a cool breeze.

we had a picnic on preston beach (the pebble side, I can't stand sand in my sarnies) very nice to have sausage rolls, fresh beef sarnies, haywards pickle onions, all washed down with a cool stella, I was in heaven

Last weekend was an emotional rollercoaster, I had played golf all day last friday with my best mates, they asked if I was going up the pub that night for a pint, when I got there, my mum and best mate had called about 100 people, alot of old school mates, co-workers, family etc, we took up the whole pub, it was the best party I've had on a long while. Saturday was going around family and friends houses saying my goodbyes....sunday was took up all day travelling and back to work on the monday.

I love living in the states, but it was great to go back, can't wait till next time.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Last weekend was an emotional rollercoaster, I had played golf all day last friday with my best mates, they asked if I was going up the pub that night for a pint, when I got there, my mum and best mate had called about 100 people, alot of old school mates, co-workers, family etc, we took up the whole pub, it was the best party I've had on a long while. Saturday was going around family and friends houses saying my goodbyes....sunday was took up all day travelling and back to work on the monday.

I love living in the states, but it was great to go back, can't wait till next time.
That was soooo sweet of them I am pleased you had a nice trip.

I am with you... I love living over here but look forward to my trips back... headed back over in 3 weeks with my daughter... I am gonna take her to Blackpool to see the illuminations... Haven't been to blackpool in years.

Ash
Old Sep 14th 2004, 10:02 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
That was soooo sweet of them I am pleased you had a nice trip.

I am with you... I love living over here but look forward to my trips back... headed back over in 3 weeks with my daughter... I am gonna take her to Blackpool to see the illuminations... Haven't been to blackpool in years.

Ash
I hope you have good weather like I did Ash, it makes all the difference
We flew out on a evening flight, so my 3 year old slept like 7 hours, it was wonderfull....coming back different storey, Chloé was "wired" big time, only spent 4 hours though this time running back and forth to the crappers
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Neathborn
My parents live in Weymouth -- last time I was back was in the summer of 2002 after a number of years absence and I was surprised at the changes and how many American eateries (to use an American word!) had sprung up.

Going to Muff on 4th December for the 'big' local game with Havant & Waterlooville, now is it true what my H &W pals say about Weymouth ? Are they all inbred half human half fish types down there ?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:53 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Wow sounds like you had a really great time I'm envious! Right now i'm considering moving back for good but i wonder if I'd have gotten to this point if i'd been able to get back to U.k once in a while- some times you just need to go home to recharge ya batteries!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:55 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Haven't been to blackpool in years.
you'll be pleased to know nothing has changed.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:02 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Going to Muff on 4th December for the 'big' local game with Havant & Waterlooville, now is it true what my H &W pals say about Weymouth ? Are they all inbred half human half fish types down there ?

Its true Scrumpo....I was Portland (the little almost island stuck out in the english channel) born and bred, so there was always alot of fights etc going on between us and Weymouth, except for when the Bristol lot came to town for Trawler race day, just once a year us Portlanders would merge with the Weymouth possé to take the onslaught from those "Stools"