Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Back to Blighty........$$$$$ How much do you take home?

Back to Blighty........$$$$$ How much do you take home?

Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:22 am
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default Back to Blighty........$$$$$ How much do you take home?

Just wondering which method you use for spending money back home?

Im going for 17 days. Ive got a UK account, with bugger all pretty much in it, and am thinking of taking maybe $2k over and US credit cards in case (bloody exchange rate)!

Is Xe still the best way to do it?

I dont fancy taking over cash and going to the local Post office - hehehe

cheers

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:30 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to Blighty........$$$$$ How much do you take home?

Don't you have a US bank account ??
Just use your atm card over there - fee-wise its more reasonable than my UK bank now charges me over here and the exchange rate is reasonable too.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:41 am
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

Alright mate,

Yeah, Ive got a US card. Isn't Xe cheaper to convert etc though?

Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:45 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waxwabbit
Alright mate,

Yeah, Ive got a US card. Isn't Xe cheaper to convert etc though?

Personally for $2k I wouldn't be bothered, especially if your UK bank hits you with atm fees, and if you potentially had $$'s left over at the end of your trip.
Obviously I can't speak for your US bank but I was pleasantly surprised with my own mob when I was last home and used my ATM card there.
If I'd used xe it would have saved my a few quid on the money I spent, but then again you run the risk of sending the cash back with xe and the rate improving so by the time your back there all your savings have been wiped out.
Personally I would be in no rush to send cash home at the current $1.90 rate.

Enjoy your trip by the way