British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Baby Social Security Card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/baby-social-security-card-925988/)

PetrifiedExPat Jun 25th 2019 12:40 pm

Baby Social Security Card

Hi,

Has anyone had to go to a social security office for their newborns SS card? Our daughters is likely lost in the mail and I know we need two forms of ID for her. One is a birth certificate, the other is a certified proof of birth? Anything else anyone can recommend?

Next step is to obv. call the SS office.

H

Pulaski Jun 25th 2019 12:54 pm

Re: Baby Social Security Card

Are you just assuming it was lost in the mail? If you have already made a valid application but not received the SS card yet, I would firstly take it up with the SS administration, tell them that you haven't received it, rather that assume that you will need to visit an SSA office and reapply.

petitefrancaise Jun 25th 2019 1:22 pm

Did you apply whilst in the hospital with your baby?
Congratulations by the way!

PetrifiedExPat Jun 25th 2019 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12702565)
Did you apply whilst in the hospital with your baby?
Congratulations by the way!

Thank you!

We did, and were told one would arrive in the mail, it never did :(

I guess we are unsure of the next steps. A call to SS maybe the best next step. Things were hazy at the Hospital I am digging into the back of my memory sadly..

Pulaski Jun 25th 2019 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat (Post 12702631)
.... We did, and were told one would arrive in the mail, it never did :(

I guess we are unsure of the next steps. A call to SS maybe the best next step. .....

Definitely then, under those circumstances. And there's a good possibility that it was wrongly addressed/ not delivered and was returned to the SSA.

petitefrancaise Jun 25th 2019 3:15 pm

Thank you!

I guess we are unsure of the next steps. A call to SS maybe the best next step. Things were hazy at the Hospital I am digging into the back of my memory sadly..

how many weeks have you been waiting? If it's less than 4, I would wait. If it's more than 6 then you should at least call them. Or go into the office to check. Use this tool to check on the documents you may need if the application has been lost https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

tht Jun 25th 2019 3:42 pm

Thank you!

As a point of reference.
I don’t even recall applying at the hospital, but assume I ticked something, my first son born in 2014 in NY was dated 14 days after his birth and arrived another 5 or 6 days later. My second son born in CT in 2017 was dated 12 days after the birth and again arrived 5 or 6 days later.

Pulaski Jun 25th 2019 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 12702653)
... As a point of reference.
I don’t even recall applying at the hospital, but assume I ticked something, ...

Yes, it's part of the standard hospital "birth registration" paperwork, or at least it was for us, in NC.

Rete Jun 25th 2019 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 12702653)

As a point of reference.
I don’t even recall applying at the hospital, but assume I ticked something, my first son born in 2014 in NY was dated 14 days after his birth and arrived another 5 or 6 days later. My second son born in CT in 2017 was dated 12 days after the birth and again arrived 5 or 6 days later.

It has been that way in NYS for quite a while. Both my girls (now adults with families of their own) received their social security cards in the mail without their father or myself having to complete a social security form. The same with my granddaughter born in 2008 in NYS and my grandkids born in Nevada and Mississippi.

tht Jun 25th 2019 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12702710)
It has been that way in NYS for quite a while. Both my girls (now adults with families of their own) received their social security cards in the mail without their father or myself having to complete a social security form. The same with my granddaughter born in 2008 in NYS and my grandkids born in Nevada and Mississippi.

my point of reference was really more about how long they took to arrive for the OP to gauge if theirs were within normal timeframes.

Rete Jun 25th 2019 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 12702712)

my point of reference was really more about how long they took to arrive for the OP to gauge if theirs were within normal timeframes.

Gotcha!