British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Baby Sign? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/baby-sign-358952/)

Jaxbar Mar 3rd 2006 8:38 pm

Baby Sign?

My next door neighbours have a sign outside saying "It's a Boy", I knew the woman was due soon but wasnt sure when. I called around with a gift and card and was thanked but told, Oh he's not here yet, she's still in labour. Is this normal? was I incorrect in thinking that the sign meant he had been born? :confused:

Celtic_Angel Mar 3rd 2006 8:42 pm

Re: Baby Sign?

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
My next door neighbours have a sign outside saying "It's a Boy", I knew the woman was due soon but wasnt sure when. I called around with a gift and card and was thanked but told, Oh he's not here yet, she's still in labour. Is this normal? was I incorrect in thinking that the sign meant he had been born? :confused:

a sign outside their house?? how obnoxious!! I thought those were only put on the hospital room doors AFTER the birth of the baby ...ah well...they got a gift out of you didn't they..maybe they expect a pre- and another post- labor one :p :D

ironporer Mar 3rd 2006 8:43 pm

I find that very few parents expecting (especially the 1st time) are "normal".

britontour Mar 3rd 2006 8:45 pm

I guess their just happy about the situation, jumping the gun abit though bearing in mind the amount of women I know have had miss carriages (not to put a negative attitude on their happiness).

Jaxbar Mar 3rd 2006 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
a sign outside their house?? how obnoxious!! I thought those were only put on the hospital room doors AFTER the birth of the baby ...ah well...they got a gift out of you didn't they..maybe they expect a pre- and another post- labor one :p :D

Now I am feeling like the one in Sex and the City where she has a shoe shower after totting up how many baby showers etc she has contributed to over the years! To be fair they seem like nice people who have been friendly to us.

anotherlimey Mar 3rd 2006 8:47 pm

Accidently reverse over the sign in your car.

Jerseygirl Mar 3rd 2006 8:48 pm

It normal to have both sets of grandparents in the delivery room along with other relatives. Eeewwwwwwwww. :scared:

snowbunny Mar 3rd 2006 8:50 pm

Oh come on.....

didn't put up a baby sign at my house but don't care if others do.

And didn't have a baby shower for either kid, and only one wedding shower (first wedding).

It's a bit early to put up the sign but I doubt the woman in labour did it! :eek:

Jaxbar Mar 3rd 2006 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Oh come on.....

didn't put up a baby sign at my house but don't care if others do.

And didn't have a baby shower for either kid, and only one wedding shower (first wedding).

It's a bit early to put up the sign but I doubt the woman in labour did it! :eek:

My question was whether its the norm? when you are new to a country the last thing you want to do is offend someone or do something wrong. Back home there is a lot of superstition about giving things before the birth but because of baby showers i guess its ok here :)

anotherlimey Mar 3rd 2006 9:00 pm

My question was whether its the norm? when you are new to a country the last thing you want to do is offend someone or do something wrong. Back home there is a lot of superstition about giving things before the birth but because of baby showers i guess its ok here :)

I'm confused; how do you shower the baby before it's born?

;)

snowbunny Mar 3rd 2006 9:16 pm

It is normal to put a sign up outside of the house after the baby's born, to welcome mom and baby home.

Baby showers before birth are common.

Allowing grandparents or siblings in the delivery room is totally up to the mother and is not allowed at Caesarean births. There's a lot of pressure on the mother to allow in relatives she doesn't want there -- I wanted my privacy and my mother's never forgiven me for not letting her in, but I didn't even let my elder daughter in!

TouristTrap Mar 3rd 2006 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
It is normal to put a sign up outside of the house after the baby's born, to welcome mom and baby home.

Baby showers before birth are common.

Allowing grandparents or siblings in the delivery room is totally up to the mother and is not allowed at Caesarean births. There's a lot of pressure on the mother to allow in relatives she doesn't want there -- I wanted my privacy and my mother's never forgiven me for not letting her in, but I didn't even let my elder daughter in!

Yup. Very normal to have a huge stork/balloon, with the announcement :) Brings a smile to my dial whenever I see one :) Probably a grandparent did it this time though. :)

The all-relatives-including-your third cousin thing is over the top IMO!!! Who the heck wants their father never mind their father in law in there???!!!! Argh!

snowbunny Mar 3rd 2006 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by izibear

The all-relatives-including-your third cousin thing is over the top IMO!!! Who the heck wants their father never mind their father in law in there???!!!! Argh!

And who wants to let their mother in but NOT their mother-in-law? Oh yeah, that'd be swell.

C'mon..... can't they get enough watching on television?

Patrick Mar 3rd 2006 9:49 pm

If she is still in labor give her some KY.

AdobePinon Mar 3rd 2006 11:48 pm

Now if I had a dime for every time someone I don't know tries to involve me in their baby stuf.....