Baby Sign?

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby Sign?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
It is normal to put a sign up outside of the house after the baby's born, to welcome mom and baby home.

Baby showers before birth are common.

Allowing grandparents or siblings in the delivery room is totally up to the mother and is not allowed at Caesarean births. There's a lot of pressure on the mother to allow in relatives she doesn't want there -- I wanted my privacy and my mother's never forgiven me for not letting her in, but I didn't even let my elder daughter in!
Wow! Some babies can read the sign at that age? Amazing!

NC Penguin
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:02 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Accidently reverse over the baby in your car.

Bit harsh mate!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:11 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
C'mon..... can't they get enough watching on television?
You mean you video'd it

When we did our hospital tour, there was a couple there who had a list of 10 people (TEN) that they wanted in the delivery room. And the hubby wanted to video the birth. The lady doing the tour checked with "management" - they would be allowed the 10, subject to OBGYN approval, and normal birth, but the videoing was out!

For us - it was me and the missus. Her mum was desperate to be there, but they're like cat and dog at the best of times, so during labor - no way!!

As for the card/stork/yard announcement - a lot of people do it round our way after the birth - thats often the first time we even know they're pregnant!! (we don't see the neighbours much.............)
Old Mar 4th 2006, 4:28 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
My next door neighbours have a sign outside saying "It's a Boy", I knew the woman was due soon but wasnt sure when. I called around with a gift and card and was thanked but told, Oh he's not here yet, she's still in labour. Is this normal? was I incorrect in thinking that the sign meant he had been born?
ive seen similar signs before - it makes me want to add below it 'who cares!!!' or 'so??'
Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:14 am

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

My next door neighbours have a sign outside saying "It's a Boy", I knew the woman was due soon but wasnt sure when. I called around with a gift and card and was thanked but told, Oh he's not here yet, she's still in labour. Is this normal? was I incorrect in thinking that the sign meant he had been born?
I've just put my Santa Sign up

Waiting for the prezzies
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:01 pm
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future

Reminds me of a house in Staffordshire we used to drive by...their 'It's a Boy' sign remained on the lawn for over a year?!
Old Mar 5th 2006, 6:24 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Putting up signs or balloons outside a home to announce a new baby's arrival is not unusual. I actually think it's a nice tradition. I can't think of a time when I've seen an "It's a Boy!" or "It's a Girl!" sign and thought, "Grrrr!! Another damn baby!!" Seeing those signs always makes me smile, if anything.

As for the timing of when the sign was put up, perhaps the family (and/or friends) decided to do that early on so they could get back to the hospital for the actual birth, and so the sign would already be up when the mother & baby returned home (probably the very next day).

I can see how seeing the sign led the OP to assume the baby had already been born -- that's a logical assumption! But if the faux pas was committed by anyone, it was the person who put up the sign too early.

Baby showers are normally given BEFORE the birth, not after, especially for first-time parents. That way the parents already have the baby things they need when the baby arrives home. If the parents don't know the baby's gender yet, people give gifts that are non-gender specific.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't know of people who allow both sets of grandparents to watch the birth. I don't even know of people who allow ONE set of grandparents in, or siblings, or friends. That's not to say that it doesn't happen, but usually it's just the father who's allowed in and that's it.

I know there was something on TV the other day (can't remember what program) where they showed like 17 people watching while their relative/friend gave birth, and said that this was a growing phenomenon in the US. But honestly, I think only a very small minority of the American population finds that appealing. I certainly wouldn't say it's an American cultural norm.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 5th 2006, 7:09 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

When I had my son (in Oxford), I had quite a few people in the room & would've had more if they were around. There was hubby, my mum, my 2 sisters & of course, me. It was amazing & worked out perfectly for us all. My sisters video'd & took photos (no gross ones!), they did a fantastic job & I recommend it to anyone. When I watched it for the first time, I bawled my eyes out. I looked so calm, not at all how I felt! (I didn't have any pain relief drugs; I was induced & had a 15 hour labour.)

If my sisters hadn't been there to film/take photos, we wouldn't have that great reminder. Hubby was helping me, so he wouldn't have been able to do it. Mum helped me by fixing the stirrup (one broke) on the bed (she shoved my sisters wallet in it to stop it from falling down!).

Everyone enjoyed the fact that they were there the moment our son was born, it was fantastic. The midwife was awesome too, she whispered to me right at the beginning, "If you want anyone out at any point, you let me know & I'll get rid of them for you!" She also told me, I was made to have babies & that she was very impressed! I didn't scream once!
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I would be okay with FEMALE members of the family, but not the MALE side, excepting hubby of course!
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My question was whether its the norm? when you are new to a country the last thing you want to do is offend someone or do something wrong. Back home there is a lot of superstition about giving things before the birth but because of baby showers i guess its ok here

No, it is not the norm. In fact, I know of only two families in my 57 years who have done this and for both of them it was for adopted children.

Also in our household (culture, whatever the reason) we don't give a baby shower until after the birth nor do we "give" gifts under the birth is over. This is so that God forbid the child does not survive the parents do not have to deal with a room full of baby things when they return from the hospital/funeral.

Everyone is different. Whatever works for them. As for your neighbor that was sweet of you to get a gift and bring it over. I'm sure when the happy parents and child return from the hospital they will be most appreciative of your generosity.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter just delivered my first grandchild on January 20 and she had wanted me to be with her during labor and delivery. This was only because her husband was chickening out and she didn't want to be in a room with a bunch of strangers as she put it. Luckily for all of us, I live in New York and they live in Las Vegas and her labor started 3-1/2 weeks early so I could not be there. Phew ... I actually didn't want to be and her husband had no choice but to be present before, during and after and he is so very glad that he was.

I believe whatever works for the couple/family involved. But a room full of grandparents, cousins, sisters and brothers and your other children? No, there I draw the line. Birthing is a private thing, IMHO, and it can be very difficult for a woman and with so many people present she has to be on her "best" behavior. Damn, if I wanted to curse and yell, I would feel that I couldn't do that with other than my husband present. But that, again, is me.

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
You mean you video'd it

When we did our hospital tour, there was a couple there who had a list of 10 people (TEN) that they wanted in the delivery room. And the hubby wanted to video the birth. The lady doing the tour checked with "management" - they would be allowed the 10, subject to OBGYN approval, and normal birth, but the videoing was out!

For us - it was me and the missus. Her mum was desperate to be there, but they're like cat and dog at the best of times, so during labor - no way!!

As for the card/stork/yard announcement - a lot of people do it round our way after the birth - thats often the first time we even know they're pregnant!! (we don't see the neighbours much.............)
Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete

I believe whatever works for the couple/family involved. But a room full of grandparents, cousins, sisters and brothers and your other children? No, there I draw the line. Birthing is a private thing, IMHO, and it can be very difficult for a woman and with so many people present she has to be on her "best" behavior. Damn, if I wanted to curse and yell, I would feel that I couldn't do that with other than my husband present. But that, again, is me.
Ha!ha!......great opportunity to cuss out your MIL don't you think?
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:10 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

cross out 'Boy' and scribble "hermaphrodite" on it..
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

When we did the hospital tour before I had our daughter we were told no more than 6 other people in the room wtf I think not, my husband was the only other person there at the conception and he was the only other person there (besides medical staff) at the birth.

My mother in law wanted to have a shower for me too... it was well intentioned but I personally didn't want one and thankfully she didn't argue with me.

On the flip side my mum and dad wanted to buy the stroller for us, that was one thing that I did want to have before the birth, my mum told me she would buy it for us before on condition it was not bought into the house... we agreed on it being kept in the basement till we got home from the hospital. Funny how there are so many different traditions/customs/superstitions surrounding births.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
. Funny how there are so many different traditions/customs/superstitions surrounding births.
och nae mun.....get with the Stateside program..!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.