British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Baby Names (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/baby-names-348949/)

HoosierDaddy Jan 17th 2006 5:06 pm

Baby Names

..or even adult names for that matter.
Mrs. HD will be giving birth to HoosierBaby #2 in the Summer and we have our names picked out. The name we really like for a girl is Siobhan but I know that she (and we, as the parents) would have a 'mare of a time growing up always having to spell it for people and gawd knows what the other kids would make of it. We like the Irishness of it as my father is Irish. I'm a Scot and we named our 1st Fiona which prompted too many suggestions that we named her "after the character in Shrek?"

Anyhoo - Anyone in the ex-pat world know of a "Siobhan" who is getting through their life just fine?

Cheers as always.

TruBrit Jan 17th 2006 5:09 pm

Re: Baby Names

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Mrs. HD will be giving birth to HoosierBaby #2 in the Summer and we have our names picked out. The name we really like for a girl is Siobhan but I know that she (and we, as the parents) would have a 'mare of a time growing up always having to spell it for people and gawd knows what the other kids would make of it. We like the Irishness of it as my father is Irish. I'm a Scot and we named our 1st Fiona which prompted too many suggestions that we named her "after the character in Shrek?"

Anyhoo - Anyone in the ex-pat world know of a "Siobhan" who is getting through their life just fine?

Cheers as always.

yeah I have two friends who answer to Siobhan, on a good day :p ...it's a lovely name and neither of them have shortened it...and they are in their 30's now.

Partystar Jan 17th 2006 5:18 pm

I had a friend called Siobhan, but that was back in England. I think she hated her name, she was always having to tell people how to spell it. She had the little 'flick' on her name too, just to make matters worse!

gruffbrown Jan 17th 2006 5:22 pm

Siobhan Fahey from Bananarama and Shakespears Sister, I don't know if that's a good thing or not :rolleyes:

Partystar Jan 17th 2006 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Siobhan Fahey from Bananarama and Shakespears Sister, I don't know if that's a good thing or not :rolleyes:

"Stay with me..." I loved that song!

BigDavyG Jan 17th 2006 5:28 pm

Cheers as always.

I'm irish, so I know plenty of siobhan's. I don't think its that popular anymore though.
If you're not worried about spelling trauma how about aoife, maeve, niamh (I actually quite like this one despite being the wrong type of "irish" for such names), kiera or caitlin (which i believe is an irish/scots and welsh name).

Ash UK/US Jan 17th 2006 5:37 pm

I don't think I have heard anyone with that name here.

But talking about baby names we named our first daughter (now 2) Emily Elizabeth. People often ask if we named her after Clifford the big red dog books :confused: (which I had never even heard of until then)... or if it was just because Emily is a popular name, yeah sure I lack imagination :rolleyes: We named her because Emily was my grand mothers name and we were quite close and she died when I was young.... but I don't think people are convinced :rolleyes:

My second baby due in April will be Katie Hannah if it is a girl (Matthew Thomas if it is a boy). Just about every American I have heard says it KaDy instead of KaTie. I don't think it really matters what you call a baby someone will miss pronunce it or ask some stupid question why you choose the name you did... go with the name you like.

Ash :)

robskatie Jan 17th 2006 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I don't think I have heard anyone with that name here.

But talking about baby names we named our first daughter (now 2) Emily Elizabeth. People often ask if we named her after Clifford the big red dog books :confused: (which I had never even heard of until then)... or if it was just because Emily is a popular name, yeah sure I lack imagination :rolleyes: We named her because Emily was my grand mothers name and we were quite close and she died when I was young.... but I don't think people are convinced :rolleyes:

My second baby due in April will be Katie Hannah if it is a girl (Matthew Thomas if it is a boy). Just about every American I have heard says it KaDy instead of KaTie. I don't think it really matters what you call a baby someone will miss pronunce it or ask some stupid question why you choose the name you did... go with the name you like.

Good choice ;)
We are looking at celtic names for our expected addition this year, mainly for family history reasons.

Ash UK/US Jan 17th 2006 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by robskatie
Good choice ;)
We are looking at celtic names for our expected addition this year, mainly for family history reasons.

When are you due? do you know what your having? do you have any names picked out yet?

jumping doris Jan 17th 2006 6:07 pm

Cheers as always.

My youngest is called Freya. When we moved here last year no one had heard the name before and couldn't pronounce it. So at school they (including the teachers) decided to call her Casper!

kevntrace Jan 17th 2006 6:17 pm

I quite liked Siobhan too, but it was a non-starter for us. We chose Keira instead. Why was Siobhan a non-starter? Well my surname is Irish, and has an apostrophe as in O'B. What this means when you write your initials is that you include both capitalized letters from your surname. So the initials for Siobhan are SOB. Makes picking baby names even more complicated! For example, Nigella would be a poor choice too.

robskatie Jan 17th 2006 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
When are you due? do you know what your having? do you have any names picked out yet?

Not due until July, and don't know what we are having yet (hoping for a boy after 3 girls!)
We like Finley and Caelan for a boy , the jury is still out on girls names, Reagan is a possibility or Brynn.

anotherlimey Jan 17th 2006 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown

Doesn't Siobhan make Power Rangers?

Partystar Jan 17th 2006 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by robskatie
Not due until July, and don't know what we are having yet (hoping for a boy after 3 girls!)
We like Finley and Caelan for a boy , the jury is still out on girls names, Reagan is a possibility or Brynn.

My best friend just had a little boy, they named him Finlay, but they call him Fin for short.

BigDavyG Jan 17th 2006 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by kevntrace
For example, Nigella would be a poor choice too.

To be fair it made me laugh, but you prob don't want to saddle your kid with that :D :D