Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Baby Born in USA

Baby Born in USA

Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby Born in USA

Originally Posted by Morag McDoogal
Ray, 12 months does NOT mean a background problem. I was at the embassy last week for a B2. I previously had one (2004) which was valid for 12 months. At last week's appointment, I asked why only 12 months instead of 10 years. I was told that our ages were the main factor....we've never committed any crimes, overstayed etc. I also thought that maybe my military service was an issue due to the corps that ~I was in but was assured it was the age thing. :curse:

PS: The new visa is also only for 12 months......I get to pay loads of money to the Embassy...
Thats the first time I have ever heard that ..
All the 12 month issues have had minor police records going back a bit .one guy had a 12 month visa for 3 years running ..then he got a 10 year ..
Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Morag McDoogal will become famous soon enoughMorag McDoogal will become famous soon enough

Well, as me old mum would say, "you learn something new every day". If I was only given 12 months for a previous conviction etc I would admit it but I ain't no crim guv!

Have to say though that you seem fairly certain about this and I am getting a bit freaked out as to whether they were telling me the truth about the age thing. Soooo, if it isn't age, overstay or crime (promise!), what else could it be?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as me old mum would say, "you learn something new every day". If I was only given 12 months for a previous conviction etc I would admit it but I ain't no crim guv!

Have to say though that you seem fairly certain about this and I am getting a bit freaked out as to whether they were telling me the truth about the age thing. Soooo, if it isn't age, overstay or crime (promise!), what else could it be?
Your eyebrows meet in the middle .....a sure sign of criminal intent ..
Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Morag McDoogal will become famous soon enoughMorag McDoogal will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ray
Your eyebrows meet in the middle .....a sure sign of criminal intent ..
I'll have you know that the "mono brow" is THE BIG THING this season........is this better?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ray, 12 months does NOT mean a background problem. I was at the embassy last week for a B2. I previously had one (2004) which was valid for 12 months. At last week's appointment, I asked why only 12 months instead of 10 years. I was told that our ages were the main factor....we've never committed any crimes, overstayed etc. I also thought that maybe my military service was an issue due to the corps that ~I was in but was assured it was the age thing. :curse:

PS: The new visa is also only for 12 months......I get to pay loads of money to the Embassy...
Why are you getting a B-2 in the first place?

I've also heard the short-termers are often given to newbies.. they want to see how you handle the power before giving you the big gun. <g>
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

We used a B2 to travel through the States in 2004. Travelled through loads of states but missed the northern/mid western ones out. Loved every minute. Had 6 months to stay but left after 5.5 to be on the safe side. Travelled everywhere by car (hate flying) and would highly recommend it. Hoping to see the states we missed and visit a few of our favourites again...can't wait. I does pee me of slightly that we get to go through the London thing EVERY time we want to do this. We've explained that we've no kids (no chance) and that we work hard for our dosh.....I've told them that, given the choice we'll take 6 months off every couple of years and see the world....often met with blank stares on this one
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We used a B2 to travel through the States in 2004. Travelled through loads of states but missed the northern/mid western ones out. Loved every minute. Had 6 months to stay but left after 5.5 to be on the safe side. Travelled everywhere by car (hate flying) and would highly recommend it. Hoping to see the states we missed and visit a few of our favourites again...can't wait. I does pee me of slightly that we get to go through the London thing EVERY time we want to do this. We've explained that we've no kids (no chance) and that we work hard for our dosh.....I've told them that, given the choice we'll take 6 months off every couple of years and see the world....often met with blank stares on this one
gotcha.
You'll love the West.. it's beautiful out here.
There's a nice thread on visiting Oregon going right now...
Old Aug 31st 2007, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Oregon is one of the places we can't wait to see.....and Montana! Never really been a big lover of the larger cities but will bite the bullet and go to a couple. There's only 1 state that I really would never go back to but that's a whole other story.

I remember stopping at a gas station in Nebraska once and the girl serving us was soooo excited by my accent (broad Scottish). She was talking quite fast saying that my voice reminded her of someone....after about five minutes, she shouted "I've got it, you sound like Princess Diana" Then again, she thought my Welsh OH was an Aussie.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:32 pm

after about five minutes, she shouted "I've got it, you sound like Princess Diana" Then again, she thought my Welsh OH was an Aussie.
lol.. well you know how it is.. you all sound the same to us. <g>