British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   baby born in US want UK citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/baby-born-us-want-uk-citizenship-747377/)

jruk Feb 4th 2012 6:39 pm

baby born in US want UK citizenship

Hello

I have two children born in the US, both parents are UK citizens. Whats the easiest way to get my kids UK citizenship (dual)?. We live in California but will be in the UK for a week next month so I was wondering if I could register them when we are there?

fatbrit Feb 4th 2012 7:00 pm

Re: baby born in US want UK citizenship

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...en_Born_Abroad

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...h_Registration

ian-mstm Feb 4th 2012 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by jruk (Post 9883818)
Whats the easiest way to get my kids UK citizenship (dual)?.

Chances are your children already are dual US/UK citizens. Just apply for UK passports for them.

Ian

fatbrit Feb 4th 2012 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9883834)
Just apply for UK passports for them.

Issue is more complicated than that. If you're just going to do one thing, I'd suggest you actually do a Consular Registration of Birth because it's the only permanent documentation.

MarylandNed Feb 4th 2012 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9883837)
Issue is more complicated than that. If you're just going to do one thing, I'd suggest you actually do a Consular Registration of Birth because it's the only permanent documentation.

If that's true, how do foreign born Brits without consular birth registration manage to obtain UK passports?

MarylandNed Feb 4th 2012 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jruk (Post 9883818)
Hello

I have two children born in the US, both parents are UK citizens. Whats the easiest way to get my kids UK citizenship (dual)?. We live in California but will be in the UK for a week next month so I was wondering if I could register them when we are there?

Make sure you have the LONG FORM birth certificates that includes details of the parents. Also make sure you have copies of your own birth certificate (or your spouse's). These will be needed to apply for UK passports for the kids. Holding a UK passport is the most widely accepted proof of UK citizenship.

Consular birth registration is often encouraged by posters on this forum but you don't need to do it - even the UK govt states that. If you are interested in this option, you can find more details here:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...tering-a-birth

But note the following:

"This is not a UK birth certificate and should not be used as one. It should not take the place of the locally issued birth certificate.

Consular birth registrations do not confer British nationality and are not required to register your child as a British citizen or to apply for a British passport as British nationality is passed from parent to child. Your child will need to have an automatic claim to British nationality in order to register their birth.

There is no requirement for a consular birth registration to be done for any birth that has occurred overseas. The original birth certificate issued by the authorities in the country in which the birth took place, along with a notarised translation if necessary, is sufficient for all purposes in the UK (including passport applications)."

fatbrit Feb 4th 2012 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 9883882)
If that's true, how do foreign born Brits without consular birth registration manage to obtain UK passports?

Oh FFS, Maryland Ned. As I've told you before, there's no safety in numbers with your money saving strategy.

jruk, if you want to read these inane discussions we have every time this topic comes up, peruse http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745606

If you ignore the bickering, all the arguments are in there.

MarylandNed Feb 4th 2012 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9883903)
Oh FFS, Maryland Ned. As I've told you before, there's no safety in numbers with your money saving strategy.

jruk, if you want to read these inane discussions we have every time this topic comes up, peruse http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745606

If you ignore the bickering, all the arguments are in there.

You said:

"I'd suggest you actually do a Consular Registration of Birth because it's the only permanent documentation."

I'm not talking about money saving. I'm taking issue with the fact that your statement above is not true. I know you're an advocate for consular birth registration and I understand why - but don't promote it with inaccurate information. Many foreign born Brits can prove their UK citizenship without the need for consular birth registration (including people born in countries such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Ireland where consular birth registration isn't even available.)

fatbrit Feb 4th 2012 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 9883919)
You said:

"I'd suggest you actually do a Consular Registration of Birth because it's the only permanent documentation."

I'm not talking about money saving. I'm taking issue with the fact that your statement above is not true. I know you're an advocate for consular birth registration and I understand why - but don't promote it with inaccurate information. Many foreign born Brits can prove their UK citizenship without the need for consular birth registration (including people born in countries such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Ireland where consular birth registration isn't even available.)

But not for those British citizens born in the USA. The British authorities may refuse to accept as evidence of paternity any US birth certificate issued more than 3 months after the birth. Hence, the onus would be on you and your offspring to preserve the documentation for their whole lifetime -- say three score and ten. A consular registration will remove this need.

Similarly, a passport expires. Those who have not kept their passport current (as those of us who are dual citizens are apt to do) may be required to make a first time application and prove paternity.

It is therefore not misleading to state consular registration is the only form of permanently documenting British citizenship for those born in the USA. Document it using this method and your child is British for life and does not require you or them to preserve or renew anything.

ian-mstm Feb 4th 2012 9:27 pm

With any luck, a moderator will simply muzzle the both of you on this issue.

Ian

materialcontroller Feb 4th 2012 9:28 pm

How difficult is it to keep hold of a birth certificate or passport?

fatbrit Feb 4th 2012 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller (Post 9883980)

No idea! Do you have all your original documents?

fatbrit Feb 4th 2012 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller (Post 9883980)

Keeping hold of a UK passport is not enough. The British authorities are currently requiring those with the old blue passport to make a first-time application instead of simply renewing their passport.

materialcontroller Feb 4th 2012 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9883984)
No idea! Do you have all your original documents?

I still have the long-form birth certificate and both my current and expired passports. I'll admit that my short birth certificate appears to be mislaid.

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9883989)
Keeping hold of a UK passport is not enough. The British authorities are currently requiring those with the old blue passport to make a first-time application instead of simply renewing their passport.

I would hope that most people renew passports when they run out. To all intents and purposes, an expired passport only has sentimental value.

fatbrit Feb 4th 2012 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller (Post 9884081)
I'll admit that my short birth certificate appears to be mislaid.

Precisely. Preserving documents for a lifetime is difficult.

Originally Posted by materialcontroller (Post 9884081)
I would hope that most people renew passports when they run out. To all intents and purposes, an expired passport only has sentimental value.

You're not a UK/US dual citizen living in the US. But these children are certainly the former and may be the latter. In such circumstances, a UK passport is superfluous since you need a US passport to get home (US citizens must enter on a US passport) but not to visit the UK. I travel regularly and have just renewed my UK passport.....which expired over 4 years ago.