Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

baby 1st british passport

baby 1st british passport

Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:42 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 174
laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default baby 1st british passport

Hi everyone..
I have a few questions on your experience/knowledge on a baby first UK passport..
My baby is due beginning of September and we are now looking at coming back to the UK in December before xmas..
We got told that California take about 6 weeks to issue a birth certificate (which I know we will need to do the passport) and as soon as we do this we will then apply for both a US and UK passport (which I understand we will need to fly back to the UK)
my questions are :
1/ looking at the UK consulate website they reckon it will take at least 7 weeks for a first passport.. for anybody that has applied for a first passport recently, do you concur?
2/ do we really need a UK passport or can we just have the US one and do his passport once we arrive in the UK ? as if we trust their deadline, it will push us toward mid dec which will be very close to xmas..
3/ if we dont need the UK passport to fly him back, do we need anything else to pass the uk border (like visa etc)?
4/ is there any "private agency" that will take care of this process (for a fee) but will help speed up the time?
thank you all for your help!
laety is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:45 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,110
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baby 1st british passport

Originally Posted by laety View Post
Hi everyone..
I have a few questions on your experience/knowledge on a baby first UK passport..
My baby is due beginning of September and we are now looking at coming back to the UK in December before xmas..
We got told that California take about 6 weeks to issue a birth certificate (which I know we will need to do the passport) and as soon as we do this we will then apply for both a US and UK passport (which I understand we will need to fly back to the UK)
my questions are :
1/ looking at the UK consulate website they reckon it will take at least 7 weeks for a first passport.. for anybody that has applied for a first passport recently, do you concur?
2/ do we really need a UK passport or can we just have the US one and do his passport once we arrive in the UK ? as if we trust their deadline, it will push us toward mid dec which will be very close to xmas..
3/ if we dont need the UK passport to fly him back, do we need anything else to pass the uk border (like visa etc)?
4/ is there any "private agency" that will take care of this process (for a fee) but will help speed up the time?
thank you all for your help!

Your little one does not need a UK PP for a visit to the UK...a US PP is acceptable to enter the UK. As a US citizen he/she must leave and enter the US using a US PP.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:47 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 174
laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default Re: baby 1st british passport

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Your little one does not need a UK PP for a visit to the UK...but as a US citizen he/she must leave and enter the US using a US PP..
Thanks Jerseygirl! and what if we decide to permanently relocate there, still no problem I assume then? or will they cause issues because as a us passport holder he can only stay a maximum amount of time?
laety is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:52 pm
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,110
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baby 1st british passport

Originally Posted by laety View Post
Thanks Jerseygirl! and what if we decide to permanently relocate there, still no problem I assume then? or will they cause issues because as a us passport holder he can only stay a maximum amount of time?
To enter the UK as a UK resident you should have a UK PP. Yes at this point you only need to register the birth with the UK embassy. Your baby doesn't need a UK PP for holidays only for UK residency.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:53 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 174
laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default Re: baby 1st british passport

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
To enter the UK as a UK resident you should have a UK PP. Yes at this point you only need to register the birth with the UK embassy. Your baby doesn't need a UK PP for holidays only for UK residency.
yes thats what i was thinking ... so back to my initial questions as we are considering moving back permanently at the end of the year
laety is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:58 pm
  #6  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,110
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baby 1st british passport

Originally Posted by laety View Post
yes thats what i was thinking ... so back to my initial questions as we are considering moving back permanently at the end of the year
In that case ideally the baby should have a UK PP so he/she can enter the UK as a resident and not a visitor. Although several of our members have said their family have entered returned to the UK without a UK PP. If you do this I would make sure you can prove you are a British citizen and the child's parent. Carry your birth certificate (although you will have a UK PP so that should suffice), marriage licence, the baby's birth certificate, registration with the UK embassy etc.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:13 am
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
sir_eccles's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,106
sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baby 1st british passport

Originally Posted by laety View Post
We got told that California take about 6 weeks to issue a birth certificate
It may be worth checking exactly what the procedure is and where that 6 week number comes from. My recent experience here in AZ was that new birth certificates become available one week after the event and while it can take a number of weeks to get the certificate if you mail in or use online ordering, you can get same day service by going directly to the county vital records office and applying in person.
sir_eccles is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:16 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 174
laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default Re: baby 1st british passport

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
It may be worth checking exactly what the procedure is and where that 6 week number comes from. My recent experience here in AZ was that new birth certificates become available one week after the event and while it can take a number of weeks to get the certificate if you mail in or use online ordering, you can get same day service by going directly to the county vital records office and applying in person.
we went to the hospital this week end for a childbirth class and thats where they told us about this
apparently the hospital has a clerk that comes everyday and help you with the paperwork (this and SSN) with you just after birth, but they said it then takes about 6 weeks to receive the birth certificate
perhaps you are right i can always call the local office to see if there is a way to have this made quicker!
laety is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:46 am
  #9  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,725
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baby 1st british passport

You only need the US passport, so get that, don't bother with the UK one till you're in the UK for a holiday.

Saves a lot of money too.

UK citizen can enter the UK without a valid UK passport, so a birth certificate would in theory do, a registered one. The problem would be getting on the plane without a visa to allow a permanent stay in the US passport and also, it'll probably be hassle on the UK side of things.

Getting a US birth cert, depends on the state, though usually, once you've filled the info in at the hospital they register it and then you go to your town hall about a week to 10 days later and hand over a few bucks for a certified copy of the birth certificate.
Bob is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:47 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
Posts: 4,771
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baby 1st british passport

By law, US citizens must leave/enter the US using a US passport. So legally you need to obtain a US passport for the baby anyway.

You might be able to obtain a California birth cert more quickly from the County where the birth took place:

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birth...thRecords.aspx

If you are moving back to the UK for good, it goes smoother with a UK passport. However, it's possible to repatriate without the UK passport. My wife and I repatriated to the UK from Canada with 2 young daughters who only had Canadian passports. We also carried full (long form) birth certs for them (the type that gives full details of both parents).

Your baby is a UK citizen so don't worry about nonsense regarding the baby possibly being admitted as a "visitor". That's just meaningless for a UK citizen who, after all, cannot be deported from the UK. You can get the baby a UK passport once you're in the UK. It's cheaper.

The concern about repatriating on a non-UK passport is twofold. Will the airline have a problem with the baby travelling to the UK on a US passport with a one-way ticket? Will you have enough documentation to convince UK immigration that the baby is a UK citizen? A UK passport makes these issues go away. Not having a UK passport doesn't mean these issues are impossible to overcome. I and many others have done it successfully but do you feel comfortable doing it?

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jun 26th 2012 at 2:54 am.
MarylandNed is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2012, 4:06 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 174
laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default Re: baby 1st british passport

its very helpful thanks! I think first thing Ill do tomorrow is to call the local register and find out exactly how long it will take. then Ill take it from there as we might have options to get an accelerate process time for add fee..
if we can speed up this side, then the waiting time for UK passport wont be an issue
if we see that everything will take too long then I think we will "skip" the UK passport and do it in the UK
laety is offline  
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:17 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
kins's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,043
kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baby 1st british passport

My daughter entered the UK on an expired UK passport the other day. Her dad applied for a new passport for her while they were there. She did have her US passport with them but border control didn't want to see it. Not a process I'd recommend but I was tickled that she got in that way.
kins is offline  
Old Jun 27th 2012, 5:30 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
Posts: 4,771
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baby 1st british passport

Originally Posted by kins View Post
My daughter entered the UK on an expired UK passport the other day. Her dad applied for a new passport for her while they were there. She did have her US passport with them but border control didn't want to see it. Not a process I'd recommend but I was tickled that she got in that way.
Was she visiting? If so, the US passport alone would have been perfectly fine. If she's moving there for good, the expired UK passport can be used to help prove her "right of abode".

The UK does not require that UK citizens enter on UK passports. My family members (all UK citizens with multiple other citizenships) have visited the UK many times. In fact, my 2 oldest daughters are visiting there now. This time they entered on US passports. Previously they've visited on Canadian passports. They even repatriated on Canadian passports once.
MarylandNed is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2012, 7:34 pm
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
kins's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,043
kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baby 1st british passport

Originally Posted by MarylandNed View Post
Was she visiting? If so, the US passport alone would have been perfectly fine. If she's moving there for good, the expired UK passport can be used to help prove her "right of abode".

The UK does not require that UK citizens enter on UK passports. My family members (all UK citizens with multiple other citizenships) have visited the UK many times. In fact, my 2 oldest daughters are visiting there now. This time they entered on US passports. Previously they've visited on Canadian passports. They even repatriated on Canadian passports once.
My husband has repatriated to the UK several times on a US passport so I'm aware it can be done. Was just laughing at the fact that UK immigration preferred an expired UK passport to a current US one.

My daughter has a British birth cert so keeping the UK passport is probably not necessary.
kins is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2012, 10:19 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
Posts: 4,771
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baby 1st british passport

Originally Posted by kins View Post
Was just laughing at the fact that UK immigration preferred an expired UK passport to a current US one.
.
It's not that strange when you think about it. If the immigration officer (IO) is satisfied that your daughter has "right of abode" (RoA) in the UK, then she doesn't need to be admitted as a visitor on the US passport. The IO can chose to consider the expired UK passport as proof of RoA. I know others who have done the same thing i.e. used a valid, foreign passport to fly to the UK but then shown an expired UK passport to the IO. It's up to the IO whether the expired UK passport is sufficient to prove RoA.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jun 29th 2012 at 10:32 am.
MarylandNed is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.