Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BA Strike - caused by AMerican owned co.

BA Strike - caused by AMerican owned co.

Old Aug 14th 2005, 3:57 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default BA Strike - caused by AMerican owned co.

Now we have it, and I bet it doesn't get reported this way in the news.

The catering co. that fired it's employees that caused the strike was American owned. I just read the story in the British papers and it's all to do with BA outsourcing their catering to this American firm (BA are stupid but that's another story). The director wanted to cut his staffs salary and when they refused, he fired them all, even those on Maternity leave. The director has a history with United Airlines where he tried the same.

BA tried to get an outsourcing co. to prepare 80,000 meals cheaper then they could. SO in the end, it is BA's fault.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 4:06 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BA Strike - caused by AMerican owned co.

So, if it's ultimately BA's fault, then why make a big deal about how it's an American-owned company?

~ Jenney
Old Aug 14th 2005, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
So, if it's ultimately BA's fault, then why make a big deal about how it's an American-owned company?

~ Jenney
I must admit I was thinking the same thing.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 4:29 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by franc111s
Now we have it, and I bet it doesn't get reported this way in the news.

The catering co. that fired it's employees that caused the strike was American owned. I just read the story in the British papers and it's all to do with BA outsourcing their catering to this American firm (BA are stupid but that's another story). The director wanted to cut his staffs salary and when they refused, he fired them all, even those on Maternity leave. The director has a history with United Airlines where he tried the same.

BA tried to get an outsourcing co. to prepare 80,000 meals cheaper then they could. SO in the end, it is BA's fault.
Maybe you should know your facts first.

The catering unit where the employees were sacked was owned by BA. Inflight catering is having as hard a time of it since Sept 11th as many airlines, and so BA off-loaded it to Gate Gourmet. The company bought it with the employees on the same union contracts as when it was owned by BA. Things such as working for 2 hours on overtime and getting paid for 8. Working 8 hours and getting paid for 12. Not being able to ask employees to work anywhere else other than their specific job, even when they have down time.

The union contract had to be changed, no company can survive in todays economic environment having to pay employees for these type of working practices and of course the union will not want to change anything when their members have it that good.

Some of the blame also has to go with BA. Their employees had nothing to do with this dispute and they should not have walked off the job. They were looking after the interests of their former company members and making it quite clear to the airline that they won't change the way they work either.

This is an "insiders" point of view who is struggling to make changes with unionised employees in the US.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:58 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoB1833

The catering unit where the employees were sacked was owned by BA. Inflight catering is having as hard a time of it since Sept 11th as many airlines, and so BA off-loaded it to Gate Gourmet. The company bought it with the employees on the same union contracts as when it was owned by BA. Things such as working for 2 hours on overtime and getting paid for 8. Working 8 hours and getting paid for 12. Not being able to ask employees to work anywhere else other than their specific job, even when they have down time.

The union contract had to be changed, no company can survive in todays economic environment having to pay employees for these type of working practices and of course the union will not want to change anything when their members have it that good.

Some of the blame also has to go with BA. Their employees had nothing to do with this dispute and they should not have walked off the job. They were looking after the interests of their former company members and making it quite clear to the airline that they won't change the way they work either.

This is an "insiders" point of view who is struggling to make changes with unionised employees in the US.
Why in hell did they buy it, with the existing union contract, if it wasn't a "go".
And tell me, as you are an insider, why the union employees should have smaller packages when the company officers package seems to double every year? or would you deny that the ratio of highest pay to average pay goes up exponentially each year?
Old Aug 14th 2005, 6:05 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: BA Strike - caused by AMerican owned co.

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Why in hell did they buy it, with the existing union contract, if it wasn't a "go".
And tell me, as you are an insider, why the union employees should have smaller packages when the company officers package seems to double every year? or would you deny that the ratio of highest pay to average pay goes up exponentially each year?
This interesting article is in today's online "Independent" newspaper:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/tra...icle305573.ece
Old Aug 14th 2005, 6:45 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
This interesting article is in today's online "Independent" newspaper:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/tra...icle305573.ece

I wish I had found that, karma coming.

I wonder if he did do it to damage BA and benefit Ryanair.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:37 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RoB1833

The catering unit where the employees were sacked was owned by BA.
Sorry, but the Mail on Sunday today (page 4) Headlines said "BA to Sack strike hit caterer" - that didn't sound to me that BA owns them. yes, BA used to own them of sorts but like any company, they try to cut costs by outsourcing (the main point of the story). In this case, the tyrant (the other point of the story), running "Gate gourment" decided to sack everyone, including those on maternity leave. You can't do that by law in the UK. Most airlines outsource food production so outsourcing itself wasn't the problem. The problem is few caterers make money so I guess they need to charge more !!

The reason I made the point about it being a US company was because all I heard on TV was moaning Americans saying they would never fly BA again!! The US media was implying (in my view), it was a British / Airways problem. I thought it ironic that the problem stemmed from the "tyrant" who was working for a US owned company (previously sacked by United Airlines.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:54 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

How about BA taking a stand by insisting that subcontractors be treated with the same dignity as employees?
Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:19 am
Professional Mover

RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
When it was bought it was making money. Post Sept 11th airlines and associated business has struggled and changes have had to be made. Most airlines have restructured, employees have taken pay cuts (including management). Within a month of joining the company the CEO took a pay cut.

I'm not saying I agree totally with what happens in these scenarios but in this case something has to change.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:23 am
Professional Mover

Also you have to remember that the guy in The Independent is the owner of the holding company. Each business is run as "stand alone".

Last edited by RoB1833; Aug 15th 2005 at 3:29 am.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: BA Strike - caused by AMerican owned co.

It gets even worse - looked what Gate Gourmet senior management planned to do:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...411808,00.html
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:09 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Flagship companies seem to "forget" to tell their customers that they are outsourcing parts of their business to people who may not be familiar with the business practises these customers have come to depend upon.

Then it blows up in their face.

IMHO companies should expect their subcontractors to be treated as well as their own employees. You are only as strong as your weakest link!!!!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

this thread is stupid.

Maybe Helios Airways crashed yesterday because Boeing made the plane in Seattle.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:22 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Manc
this thread is stupid.

Maybe Helios Airways crashed yesterday because Boeing made the plane in Seattle.
I see your point -- I don't think that the fact that the company was American-owned *caused* the problem. Unless American-owned companies tend to outsource more often and make poorer choices when they do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.